Jewel Drydock in SF - Let the Games Begin!

CarlsDad

She's definitely moving. I looked again after a few minutes, in the direction of where she should be if she was in dock, and she was gone! Freaked me out :eek:

Oh, she's moving. Here -- check it out:

http://www.ncl.com/shipcams/jewelcam/fullsize.jpg?browser_popup=320x240

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/311827000/vessel:NORWEGIAN_JEWEL

Nice - thanks for the pic. That would be the red stack of Potrero power plant, if I'm not mistaken?

Yep, that's the base of 20th Street. I'll post more pics in a while.

It's been so long since we've had a cruise ship in dry dock here. Grand Princess was supposed to be here last November but she went to Canada instead since it was cheaper. Last one was a Carnival ship almost two years ago? Maybe not quite that long.

It's been so long since we've had a cruise ship in dry dock here. Grand Princess was supposed to be here last November but she went to Canada instead since it was cheaper. Last one was a Carnival ship almost two years ago? Maybe not quite that long.

You have an amazing view out your window!! Wow!!

Robin

Please do! The bigger, the better!

The last ship I saw over there in dry dock was the HAL Amsterdam back in December 2013. I posted some pics of her over in the HAL board.

Edited by triptolemus

You have an amazing view out your window!! Wow!!

Robin

Thank you very much :)

We rent, but there's a 650 sq. ft. 1BR/1BA for sale in the building next door for $500,000 if you're interested.

Edited by gcvt

Thank you very much :)

We rent, but there's a 650 sq. ft. 1BR/1BA for sale in the building next door for $500,000 if you're interested.

Ha, it's worth a thought.. We recently bought a house in San Diego, but hubby spends more time in SF, and I like your view better than the SD view lol, sooo.. :D Used to live in Half Moon Bay - LOVE LOVE LOVE SFO!!!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing your pics and view! Miss San Francisco already! Mind you we were on the Pearl for my first cruise back in 2011. She will always be my first love, just wish they hadn't removed the waterside. Does Jewel have one?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Ha, it's worth a thought.. We recently bought a house in San Diego, but hubby spends more time in SF, and I like your view better than the SD view lol, sooo.. :D Used to live in Half Moon Bay - LOVE LOVE LOVE SFO!!!

Robin

I love Half Moon Bay! Francesca and I had our first date, 8-1/2 years ago at Pasta Moon on Main Street.

Hey, if you buy that condo, we can share cabs down to the new cruise pier together. Hmm :)

Okay, one last photo. Looks like she'll be sleeping in the Bay tonight...Jewel...not Francesca :eek:

ry%3D480

Edited by gcvt

Did the Jewel ever dock?

She did not. I'm looking at her right now with a tanker anchored off her starboard aft. Check the post right before yours (Post #40) - I posted a pic of her sleeping out in the Bay.

I wonder who is on board? What materials do they have? What work could they possibly be doing without access to the materials waiting for them at dry dock?

I suspect a "Delay Party" might be happening tonight :p

Edited by gcvt

This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing your pics and view! Miss San Francisco already! Mind you we were on the Pearl for my first cruise back in 2011. She will always be my first love, just wish they hadn't removed the waterside. Does Jewel have one?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Glad you liked the photos! I'm happy to be able to photograph the ship and share it with you guys.

I'm just as addicted as all of you, maybe more LOL.

Edited by gcvt

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the May 17th cruise passengers that this delay is very minor and will not put them too far behind so their cruise begins on time and on a nice fresh ship. :D:D

Thank you so much for the updates gcvt! It is greatly appreciated for those of us that get to board her very soon.

Edited by kdzkatz
needed to edit

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the May 17th cruise passengers that this delay is very minor and will not put them too far behind so their cruise begins on time and on a nice fresh ship. :D:D

Thank you so much for the updates gcvt! It is greatly appreciated for those of us that get to board her very soon.

Again, it's my pleasure. My first opportunity to get down there and actually photograph her in dry dock will be on Friday or Saturday. I'll see what I can do :)

Is it a bad thing that I cruised just 4 1/2 months before the ship was dry docked? Probably.

Anyway, how about using this opportunity to put self-serve laundry on board?

No?

Uh, okay. Thanks for listening.

If anything they will be removing them. I don't think the Pearl has had a dry dock since they closed the self service laundries.

...Okay, one last photo. Looks like she'll be sleeping in the Bay tonight...Jewel...not Francesca :eek:

ry%3D480

I got a good LOL out of that! :D Jewel's bridge cam now showing her aligned and entering the dry dock chute.

Oh please yes, please keep those fingers crossed! I think I am bad luck for the Jewel and drydock. Last time she was DD'ed, I was on the first sailing after and our sailing was delayed/shortened by a day after an accident in the shipyard.. Had I known about this DD, I would not have booked this particular week, just to keep it from happening again, but I'm grateful they have scheduled this one to be longer, just in case of accidents... Maybe they knew I would be on board again? :D;).

Robin

They didn't schedule it longer in case of accidents! I work in occupational safety and I really wish they would put more time for safety into the schedule, but the reality is if they scheduled it for 12 days, that means they have 14 days worth of work to cram into 12.

Obviously, cruise ships make zero dollars when they're dry docked. No one is adding extra days to that just because...

Edited by triptolemus