QE2 Transatlantic record

KenC

Here's a nice non-contentious QE2 topic!!!!

Does anyone know what her best time and / or average speed is for westbound and eastbound transatlantic crossings and when it was achieved???

Ken

On the eastbound voyage commencing July 17th, 1990, QE-2 made her fastest (at the time) eastbound transatlantic crossing. I am not sure if the record still stands. If you require, I can dig through my notes and give you the exact particulars of this crossing.

Optimist! It will just prove things were better in the 'old days'. I would also be interested in fastest crossing post engine change?

Peter

Pessimist! It proves nothing regarding pre or post Carnival!!! I'm just curious really. There are plenty of coffee table books about QE2 but I have not found one 'reference' book with complete information about her history.

It would also be interesting to find out how many transatlantics she did annually - were there any years when she didn't do any crossings?

Regards

Ken

Pessimist! It proves nothing regarding pre or post Carnival!!! I'm just curious really. There are plenty of coffee table books about QE2 but I have not found one 'reference' book with complete information about her history.

It would also be interesting to find out how many transatlantics she did annually - were there any years when she didn't do any crossings?

Regards

Ken

I don't think the Carnival or Princess -phobes are remotely interested in data! The Warwick book on the QE2 has her fastest crossings in June 1970 westbound averaging 30.36 knots and fastest ever eastbound in July 1990 at 30.16 knots....and since 1997 the crossings have been 6 days, not 5...so nothing faster since then I guess.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Very creditable averages. That sort of speed would mean a crossing in a little over four days - I wonder what she did to make it up to five??? Any ideas on how many transatlantics she was doing in the 70's, 80's and 90's ????

Ken

Thanks Peter

Very creditable averages. That sort of speed would mean a crossing in a little over four days - I wonder what she did to make it up to five??? Any ideas on how many transatlantics she was doing in the 70's, 80's and 90's ????

Ken

I think we'll need to wait for a detailed bio of the QE2 for a by trip breakdown - I know each voyage starts with 'Voyage 3456', but that doesn't tell you how many Trans Atlantics. The rest of the time for a 'five day crossing' (its really 5 nights - leave pm, arrive am) is made up of approaching harbour at either end and time difference...and the speed records are measured over open ocean - latterly from Ambrose to Bishop Rock, over that measure the Queen Mary covered the distance in 3 days 20 hours, at 31.69 knots, significantly beaten by the UNITED STATES in 3d 10h, at 35.59 knots. I can recommend Arnold Kludas' Record Breakers of the North Atlantic - which not only explores the ships, but also the government subsidies that underpinned it all.

Peter

I think we'll need to wait for a detailed bio of the QE2 for a by trip breakdown - I know each voyage starts with 'Voyage 3456', but that doesn't tell you how many Trans Atlantics. The rest of the time for a 'five day crossing' (its really 5 nights - leave pm, arrive am) is made up of approaching harbour at either end and time difference...and the speed records are measured over open ocean - latterly from Ambrose to Bishop Rock, over that measure the Queen Mary covered the distance in 3 days 20 hours, at 31.69 knots, significantly beaten by the UNITED STATES in 3d 10h, at 35.59 knots. I can recommend Arnold Kludas' Record Breakers of the North Atlantic - which not only explores the ships, but also the government subsidies that underpinned it all.

Peter

Yes, great book. Just finished reading it - hence my curiosity about QE2. Didn't realise that a 5 night crossing only gives approx. 3 days and 15 hours (+ 5 hours time difference) from late afternoon sailing to early morning arrival. So, she must have regularly done 30 knot crossings in the early days of 5 day crossings.

Ken

Ken,

Of course the higher average speed doesn't necessarily mean that the crossing time will be shorter.

Depends on the courses followed... great circle of rhumb line... or combination

3000 miles at 27 knots = 4 days 15 hours.

3400 miles at 30 knots = 4 days 17 hours.

Her highest achieved speed was 33.8 knots during trials in the North Sea affter conversion to diesel electric. Of course she would never steam at those sppeds in service.... she needed just about 28 knots to maintain the five night crossing.

For excellent reference material I would suggest David Hutchings book, QE2 - A ship for all seasons.

Stephen

Voyage # 748, CUNARD 150th Anniversary Eastbound Crossing

17 JULY 1990 to 21 JULY 1990

My records show crossing time was 4 days, 6 hours and 57 minutes.

30.17 knots average.

I do not recall if this was DOCK to DOCK or if it was measured from Ambrose Light to Bishop Rock.

As additioinal info on this historic crossing:

MASTER: Catain Robin A. Woodall. STAFF CAPTAIN: David Warden Owen

RETIRED CUNARD CAPTAINS PRESENT: William Law, Peter Jackson and

Laurence Portet.

CELBRITIES ON BOARD: Tony Randall, The Smothers Brothers, John Maxtone-Graham, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Iona Brown & Academy of St Martin in the Field.

It was quite a voyage!

My records show crossing time was 4 days, 6 hours and 57 minutes.

30.17 knots average.

I do not recall if this was DOCK to DOCK or if it was measured from Ambrose Light to Bishop Rock.

Distances are measured from 'Pilot to pilot'. The two or three hours each end of the voyage to make it dock to dock would totally destroy the 'average speed'.

From the above information we know that the distance steamed was 30.17 x 96.28958 hours = 2905.06 miles (sea miles).

Stephen

In late May 2002, my mother and I sailed on QE2 from New York to Southampton. We left 11 hours late (at 4:00 am EDT) and in order to make up the lost time, the ship increased speed to between 29 and 30.2 MPH for almost the entire crossing. I watched the speed on the cabin TV and observed this, although I don't have a record of the official average speed, which may have been a bit lower when you count leaving and approaching ports.

Arrival in Southamption was right on time, which shows that she is a true ocean liner! It was a terrific crossing, and luckily not too rough, although at that speed there is more creaking and vibration. Her ability to do this shows that even with her more modern engines, she can still hit close to the record speeds.

I was told that most of the time she uses only 5 of her 9 engines to save fuel. The other engines have maintenance performed on them when they are not in use. When needed, she can use all 9.

Her ability to do this shows that even with her more modern engines, she can still hit close to the record speeds.

I think all of the record speeds actually were hit with her present powerplant.

As I recall, she is now faster than she was as a steamer.

I believe her trial speeds in her present configuration passed 33 knots, though I would not be surprised if there is a lot of vibration at that sort of speed.

I think all of the record speeds actually were hit with her present powerplant.

As I recall, she is now faster than she was as a steamer.

I believe her trial speeds in her present configuration passed 33 knots, though I would not be surprised if there is a lot of vibration at that sort of speed.

Doug,

As far as we've been able to tell, each powerplant holds one record - steam, westbound as a 2 year old, diesel, eastbound as a 21 year old....both impressive, but in particular the latter....as with a lot of these things its not just technical capability, its a bit of luck - and the willingness to spend the $$$ on fuel.

Peter

Thank you gentlemen for all the input. Hadn't realized that she was capable of such high average speeds - almost matching the old QM (well westbound anyway). Isn't this more satisfying that discussing the type of cream to put on a scone or whether a Cunard Captain eats his peas off his knife??? (only joking).

Anyone have an idea how many transatlantics QE2 has done?

Stephen - I have got a copy of 'QE2 - A ship for all seasons' but it gets a bit general in places when you would like a little more detail. The old blueprints of the original layout are fascinating though.

Ken

Stephen - I have got a copy of 'QE2 - A ship for all seasons' but it gets a bit general in places when you would like a little more detail. The old blueprints of the original layout are fascinating though.

Ken

Agreed. We need a definitive history of QE2. No doubt will appear some day. Frank Braynard's 6 Volume masterpiece on the LEVIATHAN should serve as inspiration!!!!

Old blueprints... absolutely. :)

Stephen

I sailed on QE2 in April 2002 from Cape Town to Walvis Bay (Namibia). We were 12 hours late leaving CT due to high winds. We had to make WB on time to make the tides, so it was full ahead. That night was the night of the Captain's cocktail party and Ian McNaught said that they had all nine engines "li" and the ship was making over 31 knots for the first time in years.

The back end was shaking so much that you could not read a book. A truly amazing experience that no other ship can repeat.

Agreed. We need a definitive history of QE2.

I'd be happy to do it if Cunard will give me a PG cabin on this year's January crossing, gratis, for "research purposes" ;) ...

Seriously, you and the others who have mentioned this are absolutely right - there is a lot out there on QE2, but the definitive work is yet to come. But then, part of her history - perhaps a large part - is yet to be written, so perhaps it is better that it does not exist yet.

I will have to buy the book that you mention though. Right now the only QE2 book I own is Commodore Warwick's (which is good, but does not provide the ultra-detailed information some of us would like).

Incidentally, while on QM2, I saw your painting of QE2 as built... It looks even better in person than it does in the book. I can only imagine how revolutionary she must have looked in 1969.

Frank Braynard's 6 Volume masterpiece on the LEVIATHAN should serve as inspiration!!!!

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I found my LEVIATHAN six-volume set in a shop in London for a steal, and brought it home with me on QE2 Dec. 03. I'm still working my way through it at a leisurely pace. Thoroughly enjoyable and facinating. A similar masterwork on QE2 would be a treasure.

Boy, what a story Leviathan had!

Kyle

The back end was shaking so much that you could not read a book. A truly amazing experience that no other ship can repeat.

I can assure you that in fact, there are many ships who, given the chance, will shake their sterns so much that you can not read a book ;) ...

Seriously, I'd have loved to have been there. Hopefully will have the chance to experience it firsthand sometime.

I'd be happy to do it if Cunard will give me a PG cabin on this year's January crossing, gratis, for "research purposes" ;) ...

Nice try!!!!

Seriously, you and the others who have mentioned this are absolutely right - there is a lot out there on QE2, but the definitive work is yet to come. But then, part of her history - perhaps a large part - is yet to be written, so perhaps it is better that it does not exist yet.

Indeed. I can wait for it... hopefully another ten years at least!

I will have to buy the book that you mention though. Right now the only QE2 book I own is Commodore Warwick's (which is good, but does not provide the ultra-detailed information some of us would like).

David Hutching also wrote companion books on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary. All three are availaable in a single updated version... Published 2004.

Incidentally, while on QM2, I saw your painting of QE2 as built... It looks even better in person than it does in the book. I can only imagine how revolutionary she must have looked in 1969.

The first time I saw QE2 was in model form... during Expo '67. The she was known as Q4. At the time I was sailing in the relic known as Franconia on a 21 day cruise from New York to Quebec, Montreal, Boston and Bermuda. Two days in Montreal for the Expo... POL's BATORY was there also.

At the time I thought she looked fantastic. Sleek and modern. The purists were a bit unkind in their comments, but to me she looked crisp and clean.

The only thing that was disappointing was that the funnel was too slender to wear the old Cunard colours. They were quite right to paint it back and white with red at the base. Post Falklands when the funnel was painted red it looked awful.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I found my LEVIATHAN six-volume set in a shop in London for a steal, and brought it home with me on QE2 Dec. 03. I'm still working my way through it at a leisurely pace. Thoroughly enjoyable and facinating. A similar masterwork on QE2 would be a treasure.

Boy, what a story Leviathan had!

Kyle

Kyle,

Good find! Smart move bringing them home on QE2. It would have cost you a packet to bring them home by air!

I picked up my set... the first five volumes in 1982. I finished reading them in '83 just as Volume Six was released. Not long after I met Frank for the fuirst time and also got to know Harvey Brouard, the printer in New York at the Adams Group down at 225 Varrick Street.

Leviathan is certainly a ship I woudl have sailed in... not during Prohibition though!

Stephen

I'd be happy to do it if Cunard will give me a PG cabin on this year's January crossing, gratis, for "research purposes" ;) ....

Definitely think someone ought to provide you with a trip on QE2 - but think it has to be in M class so you can see warts and all!!! This is the one ship that you, as an enthusiast, must see before too long - just so you can judge for yourself.

Seriously, you and the others who have mentioned this are absolutely right - there is a lot out there on QE2, but the definitive work is yet to come. But then, part of her history - perhaps a large part - is yet to be written, so perhaps it is better that it does not exist yet..

You don't really believe that do you (the bit about a large part of her history yet to be written)?????

I have been hammering this point for eons - yes her appearance then was very different in many ways and about as popular as QM2 is to the 'traditionalists' today (how quickly people forget). Plus don't forget she was 'replacing' two legendary Queens which, although making huge losses, were a huge part of the national psyche, far bigger than QE2 herself is today.

Ken

PS Doesn't CC provide bursaries for its hosts to do research!!!!!

Archived