Just back from Princess 19S cruise tour

alaskagain

And what an adventure it was! This was our 3 cruise tour in as many years, so we thought we could handle anything! Here is how it went:

Left LAX on July 17 for Fairbanks. Since we had gotten to the airport early, I watched 3 other Alaksa flights leave late. Not a good sign. Flight was to leave at 9:33, delayed to 10:10. This was totally Alaksa Airs fault as the plane was already in LA being serviced. The crew was pacing around the terminal waiting like the rest of us. Problem was that we had a connection in Seattle, originally there was a 40 min turnaround, but with the delay we were concerned. Well they held the connection and we walked off one plane and onto another. But as you can imagine our luggage didn't! When we finally arrived in Fairbanks of the 15 pieces of luggage, there is 10 of us, we only received 3. Bummer, but not much we could do. They assured us it would be on the next flight from SEA, so on to the Fairbanks lodge.

We had stayed here the 2 previous years and really did not want to eat at the Princess Lodge, service has been terrible and slow. But my FIL had booked the Malamute Saloon show in Ester and we had no time to go anywhere else. So we sat on the balcony overlooking the Chena River and had dinner. Actually this turned out great. The food was good the kids had fun and the Alaska Amber was refreshing. We even had a little Alaska shower!

The Malamute Saoon show was great! Just a little old Saloon with sawdust on the floor. The show is basically based on the poems of Robert Service, but the cast was great. Laughed so hard my sides hurt. By the time we got out it was almost 11. Hoped that the luggage had arrived, but alas, not yet. My DD was not happy as she wanted her PJ's to sleep in. The only bag we had was mine, so she got a t-shirt. At 12:30 AM they delivered 11 of the bags to my in laws room. Why they did it then I don't know. But my MIL's everyday clothes bag was not there. She had her cruise clothes but not the bag with her everyday clothes. We immediately called Alaska who said they would get on it right away. Since we had the Riverboat and Gold mine tours to do we left hoping it would be there when we returned.

We had done these tours before so nothing eventful there. But the luggage saga continued. No luggage when we returned. The Fairbanks theatre show had been booked for this evening, even though we were all ready to relax. Off we went on the blue bus. Off we drove into a thunderstorm! Pouring down rain and thunder and lightening. The driver dropped us off at the entrance to Pioneer Park and said the show is that way. In the pouring rain! We all ran for cover, not knowing which way to go. Since I neglected to bring my rain jacket, I stayed under the cover until the rest of them splashed around and found out where we were to be. Finally it was found and we waited in a outer office until they let us all in. Wet but no worse for wear. This show was OK but not as good as the night before. Again we were hopefull regarding the luggage since we returned at about 10:30, but no luggage. Finally had Pizza Hut deliver pizza as we had not had a chance to eat dinner. I think we went to bed around midnight, knowing we had to get up early to catch the train to Denali, minus 1 piece of luggage.

we go still missing that piece of luggage. I have to say they have redecorated 2 of the train cars for Princess. They are lovely. Lots of stone and glass. We had breakfast on the train, always yummy. Beautiful scenery along the way. We arrived in Denali around 12:30. Took some time to walk around and go and get snacks across the street. Then it was time for the Natural History Tour. Yes I know this is not the tour of choice, but I was not the one writing the check and we had no time to do the other tour, so I made the best of it. It was a beautiful day, but no Denali in sight. We did see a mama moose and her twin babies, a pair of snowshoe hares, Dall sheep and a couple of Caribou. It was a nice afternoon/evening and now we were off to the Denali dinner show. Yes the show can be corny, but we enjoy it and the food is good as well. Another late night and no luggage. I had been calling Alaska Air Fairbanks as well as the Fairbanks Princess everyday to no avail. The next day we are off to Mt McKinley Lodge and hopfully be able to see the mountain. The train left around 1 and we made it to Talkeetna around 5. This is a beautiful ride especially when the mountain is out, and boy was she out. It was so cool! The second half of the train trip was all about Denali/Mt McKinley. We opted not to stay in Talkeetna but go straight to the lodge. More picture taking and relaxing on the deck. Had dinner on the deck and stayed up late waiting for sunset to take some great pics. Still no luggage.

This was a short stay as the next day we are off to Kenai Lodge with a 2 hr stop in Anchorage for lunch. We were on bus 222, which would end up being the curse of bus 222. We made it to Anchorage fine. Since we have 4 kids traveling with us we usually try to sit in the back of the bus. This way they won't disturb anyone and they can stretch out on the back seat. Well on this trip we were in the back of the bus as usual but it was a full bus. There was a gentlemen sitting behind me and next to my DD that coughed and moaned about being sick the whole way to Anchorage. We when got off the bus for lunch, he stayed on! Thus contaminating the whole bus!

Anyway I called Alaska air while we were there and they had no info. So my MIL went to Penny's and bought a few things she had been doing without.

When we got back on the bus, unbeknownst to us, lovely flu germs were floating around for all to share.

The drive to Kenai was beautiful. But the rains came and by the time we got to the lodge it was pouring. We set out for our rooms and they are lovely as Joy mentioned. Each room has either a king or 2 double beds. There is also an adjoning room with a sleeper sofa table and wood burning stove. This has a door to a little porch. Very cute. We set out for dinner in the dining room and it was OK. Since the guys were going fishing early the next day we decided to turn in early.

The guys left at 5 the next morning and the kids and mom's went on a float trip down the Kenai River, beautiful. Saw lots of eagles and the weather cleared just as we started out. The guys fished all day on the river as well and my BIL caught a 30 lb king. They were exhausted when they returned but had fun. SIL and I had caught up on laundry after we returned from the float trip. Then we treated ourselves to an Amber Ale on the balcony. Nice way to end the day.

and we were to leave for the ship at 11. My DD wakes up in the middle of the night with chills and in the morning has a temp of 102.6! Well I give her Advil and try to get her to eat, to no avail. She complains of a sore throat and is miserable.

We did not realize then that this was the curse of the 222. By the time we made it on the ship she was excited to be there but miserable.

We had no trouble with the tunnel in fact only had a 5 minute wait. Embarkation was a breeze and we were on the ship by 1pm. Immediately went up to the pool/jacuzzi for some down time. Had pizza and burgers and totally enjoyed the afternoon, as the weather was great.

But when we got dressed for dinner, yes Mom's luggage was waiting on the ship for us!

Mom was not feeling well and SIL was complaining as well. The curse had begun! I had brought some Airborne with as I was sick last year and vowed not to get sick again. Well, I would have brought more had I known I would be doling it out to the whole family. Luckily the do sell it on ship but for $1.59 a tablet!

Thus it had begun! It made its way throught our family and when we saw others that had been on the bus, found out over 1/2 the bus had gotten sick. A few people even checked into the infirmary! My DD had a fever for 3 days before she finally felt OK. Yes I kept her in, as to not infect anyone else. She did not go anywhere if she had a fever. She took lots of naps and the only requirement was dinner, as this is a big deal for the family. She is 12 and was a trooper, although she was bummed that she couldn't see much of Glacier Bay. Luckily the first 2 1/2 days are at sea, so by the time we got to Skagway, she was better, although I was feeling it then.

More later, tired.....

Archived