To write a cruise report....

CobbClan

This may not be the right forum, but I'm starting here, because this is where is hang out the most.

My friends and family are suggesting that instead of writing a wordy trip report or doing a video for YouTube, I should think about organizing my trip report into a blog. Someplace where my Facebook friends, family, etc can go to see my photos, get a blow by blow report, whatever. And have it organized by ports, so you can click on a tab and see that particular day. I have read some reports done this way, and it was great.

I enjoy reports here, but sometimes it is tedious sorting through all the questions, replies and re-quotes to get to the story.

While I have some background in creative writing, I have never created a blog.

Has anyone here tried it? Where on earth do I start? And since our trip isn't till August, I have a bit of time for research and development.

Do you mean blog sites where you can post a journal and add photos ?

If so, several of my friends have used http://www.mytripjournal.com

When my niece did a semester in Spain she used Tumblr

There's also.getjealous.com or wordpress

Yes, some trip reports get too wordy and cumbersome, especially when people add to their report every few days. To be honest, I give up on those. But then again, other folks like that style. I'm just glad that people post their reports .... they can be a great resource for others who are planning a trip.

Yes, I guess that's what I am after. Like a journal. I didn't realize there was a section of these.

I, too, love to read trip reports, especially when parts are similar to what we will be doing. I have gleaned tons of information! Hope someone gets something out of mine.

here's an example of an entry from mytripjournal .... this is their arrival into Seward during an RV trip to Alaska.

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-744378

Some blogs are easier than others to work with so use this time to play around with a few of them to see which one is easiest for you. I just read an entry where someone was dicatating into their smartphone which would then upload to the tripjournal blog. Too much technology for me !

Here's an example from wordpress. This woman is fulltiming in an RV and writes/adds photos 4-5 times a week for her followers.

http://rvsueandcrew.net/

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s

This may not be the right forum, but I'm starting here, because this is where is hang out the most.

My friends and family are suggesting that instead of writing a wordy trip report or doing a video for YouTube, I should think about organizing my trip report into a blog. Someplace where my Facebook friends, family, etc can go to see my photos, get a blow by blow report, whatever. And have it organized by ports, so you can click on a tab and see that particular day. I have read some reports done this way, and it was great.

I enjoy reports here, but sometimes it is tedious sorting through all the questions, replies and re-quotes to get to the story.

While I have some background in creative writing, I have never created a blog.

Has anyone here tried it? Where on earth do I start? And since our trip isn't till August, I have a bit of time for research and development.

Hi there - totally agree that it's painful to sort through all the replies/questions/etc on a cruise report thread. Your idea of a blog is a good one. And it's really easy to start a blog.

http://www.blogger.com

You sign in with your google account, and answer a couple of questions to have it set up. From there, it's as easy as writing blog entries online.

EDIT: I take it back. I checked out Travelpod based on the comments on this thread, and it's perfect. I'd use that instead of blogger for travel writing.

Edited by juiceless