UBP- Few more Qs

I see from some of the dining menus that speciality martinis are around $9 so I know those won't be included. But what about regular martinis? Dirty vodka martini? Cosmo? Apple martini? What is the cost of that sort of basic martini?

Are the wine machines on breakaway ( the ones where you dispense your own wine) included?

Here is a list of included liquors, liqueurs, and beers.

http://mrose.org/cc/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

It is from Jan-2013 but should give you an idea. They will make you a martini, cosmo, whatever... with any of the booze you see listed.

I recall reading here that the wine machines are included -- they work with the ship's key card either way, so not sure why they wouldn't. Besides, a bartender can just as easily pour you a glass...

Everything we had (even the martinis at $9.50) were covered....VERY wise investment for us - our bar bill was $1,500 between the two of us, and considering we paid $800 upfront, we were $700 to the good...

Do tell, how were $9.50 martinis covered when it says up to $8.50?

Because sometimes reality does not conform to policy.

Why does everything here have to be an argument or an interrogation? Jeez... :rolleyes:

Everything we had (even the martinis at $9.50) were covered....VERY wise investment for us - our bar bill was $1,500 between the two of us, and considering we paid $800 upfront, we were $700 to the good...

I am definitely not interrogating :) but did you do anything special to get the specialty martinis? I have read here that a lot of bartenders will make them with different booze to make the price work. Was just curious:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Jeez to you too. I was not interrogating. Very curious if it just happened by chance, because you slipped the bartender a few $ or if it standard practice that they say up to $8.50 but any drink really "counts". I want to know so I can get the same on my Breakaway cruise NOT to start an argument.

And I have read right here over the past few days that the wine machines absolutely ARE included.

Wine machines are not included.

Really? Many others have reported that they are, as long as the wine being selected is $10 or less, per the UBP terms. Did you find the opposite to be true?

Jeez to you too. I was not interrogating. Very curious if it just happened by chance, because you slipped the bartender a few $ or if it standard practice that they say up to $8.50 but any drink really "counts". I want to know so I can get the same on my Breakaway cruise NOT to start an argument.

And I have read right here over the past few days that the wine machines absolutely ARE included.

I was with you and wonder the same thing! Like I said in my previous post I have read on cc that a lot of the bartenders will make the cocktail with less premium liquor so I was wondering if that is true:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Look... bartenders on ships are pretty much like bartenders everywhere. A good deal of them know how, can, and do bend the rules a bit to earn a buck. Another handful of them are stiff sticklers from whom you will get nothing extra.

What it ultimately comes down to is what you're going to do anyway, which, if you're a decent, well thought-out person, is this: You're going to get on the ship and conduct yourself in a manner conducive to being laid back, having a good time, expecting nothing, and being grateful that things are going your way.

If you get on the ship expecting X and finding Y, you're going to find yourself disappointed and possibly upset, the topic of which will make great fodder for a future thread here. You can't sit here and read dozens of posts about folks getting super premium spirits on the UBP and then expect the same when you're there. But you know that already, right? Of course you did.

There is no truth/false, black/white, on/off, yes/no when it comes to this. Buy the UBP (or don't), get on the ship, put a smile on your face and treat people well... it won't go unnoticed. Your Kettle One martini will taste just as wonderful as the Grey Goose martini you may or may not find yourself drinking.

We will, for the moment, ignore the fact that a martini is not made with vodka...

Does this make sense?

Oh, triptolemus, shush. Stop making assumptions. You have no idea how I conduct myself and what my expectations are. Nor do you have any idea how exactly shaheen6 op was able to obtain drinks above $9 on the UBP. It may have happened any number of ways hence the reason I was asking follow up questions. If it is okay with you, I'll just wait for his/ her actual answer to the question I directed at him/her.