Bath Day Trip

halj

I'm interested in the opposite direction as we will be arriving in London a few days prior to our cruise and want to see some of the country. We do not want to drive but would be interested in a tour bus that might take us, drop us off for a night or so, and return to London.

Any suggestions on an easy way to do a day trip on our own to Bath from London?

The best and easy way is to have a car and driver take you to Bath and you would see more of the countryside as well as Stonehenge and some of the Cotswolds.You can easily do this in a day or you can stay in the area and come back a day or two later.

In London I recommend a car service that I use

email chauffeurdriven@ntlworld.com

Regards

John

Another alternative is grayline Tours. They have a day trip to Bath that can also be an overnight trip. Woudl be an easier way to go.

Bath is a lovely city. Don't miss the costume museum, Roman BAths and the Royal Cresent. One of my favorite citiies in the u.K.

Any suggestions on an easy way to do a day trip on our own to Bath from London?
I would personally recommend just taking the train to Bath. There's a direct train from Paddington every half an hour during the day, taking about 1½ hours. The station in Bath is pretty close to the centre of town, IIRC, and it looks like a £35 ticket would give you complete flexibility about when you give up and go back to London. (There are cheaper tickets at £19 and £29.50 but they are only valid on the specific trains you book and are capacity controlled; the cheapest one also has an advance puchase restriction.)

All you need in addition is a decent guidebook.

The best and easy way is to have a car and driver take you to Bath and you would see more of the countryside as well as Stonehenge and some of the Cotswolds.You can easily do this in a day or you can stay in the area and come back a day or two later.

In London I recommend a car service that I use

email chauffeurdriven@ntlworld.com

Regards

John

I have emailed the car and driver service you recommended. I also looked at your profile and your interests mimic mine...food, wine and cruising, not necessarily in that order! 1) If you were to have 3 extra days outside London. would the Bath area be your choice, or???. We love history and beautiful scenery, pub experiences, etc. I have some physical limitations due to ankle fusion surgery, but can still do some walking; but no bicycle treks plez; 2) What hotel would you recommend in Bath (and London for that matter) that would give us an "English experience". I don't want "American food or hotels" when abroad. Food is very important part of my travel experience. Any favorite restaurants in London or Bath area? I am very interested in an Indian food recommendation in London.

Thank you for your time in making this a dream vacation!

Christine

I have emailed the car and driver service you recommended. I also looked at your profile and your interests mimic mine...food, wine and cruising, not necessarily in that order! 1) If you were to have 3 extra days outside London. would the Bath area be your choice, or???. We love history and beautiful scenery, pub experiences, etc. I have some physical limitations due to ankle fusion surgery, but can still do some walking; but no bicycle treks plez; 2) What hotel would you recommend in Bath (and London for that matter) that would give us an "English experience". I don't want "American food or hotels" when abroad. Food is very important part of my travel experience. Any favorite restaurants in London or Bath area? I am very interested in an Indian food recommendation in London.

Thank you for your time in making this a dream vacation!

Christine

Hi Christine Cruisin,Where do I start is the immediate thought.Bath is a good place to visit but I would have a look at the Cotswolds especially as you like History.The place that you should look at is Buckland Manor near Broadway which has only a few rooms (I think Eighteen)The Rooms and the service are excellent ,the other Hotel which is well known is the Lygon Arms which was for many years the most popular but I would stay at Buckland.On the way to the Cotswolds you could visit Oxford and stay at one of the best Hotels in the UK "Le Manoir aux quattre saisons".This is owned by the Chef Raymond Blanc and will be one of your memorable meals of all time.There are two Hotels that I can recommend in Bath.Lucknam Park and the Royal Crescent and there is also The Manor House in Castle Combe which is fifteen minutes outside Bath and a good place to base yourself.The London Hotels are varied and it depends on what type you like to stay in ,but the Hotel that is performing well at the moment is Claridges which offers good old fashioned service and style.there are also some great small personal Hotels which offer a small house feel ,just ask the car service as I always learn something from them.The Indian Restaurant choice in London is very good and is difficult to say which is best but for quality of food and style then Benares in Berkeley Square is the one for me

I'm getting tired now and hungry thinking about these places so will refresh my glass and relax

Regards

John

Archived