On board account question

Bibble

New to MSC...

I read on the MSC site about check-in procedures. It states that we can register a credit card onboard to use with our room key.

Do we not do this when we check in at the terminal?

It also lists credit cards accepted onboard - does that mean we can pay as we go with credit cards?

I've been on NCL, CCL, RCCL, and we've always added a credit card upon checkin, and used our room key for on-board account. I'm PARTIALLY assuming it's the same on MSC, but that the wording isn't clear. But I never want to completely assume...

Can someone please clear this up for me?

Thanks so much!

Our CC information was taken at the terminal, and we were asked how much we wished to put onto the account.

I suppose that you can use a credit card aboard, but we opted to use our room key anytime we incurred an expense (meals at Eataly, appetizer at the Sports Bar, for instance.)

MSC will inform you that the room charge authorization will say France, and we informed our CC company that there would be international charges. For that reason, our goal was to just use one card for the entire trip. Thankfully, we estimated well and only had $30 left of our deposit.

That amount was credited back about 3 days later, though others have said it can take up to 2 weeks.

Our CC information was taken at the terminal, and we were asked how much we wished to put onto the account.

snip..MSC will inform you that the room charge authorization will say France, and we informed our CC company that there would be international charges. For that reason, our goal was to just use one card for the entire trip. Thankfully, we estimated well and only had $30 left of our deposit.

That amount was credited back about 3 days later, though others have said it can take up to 2 weeks.

This seems odd to us, we´re on our 1st MSC cruise next year. What happens if you want to put 200$ 0n credit card, but spend 300$ on board?

Sandy in Spain

You can visit the concierge desk to add funds at any time. We verified how much we had spent on our fourth day aboard, just to be sure that we were okay, and they offered to add funds.

I think if you go over, they call your room. At least, that's what has happened at resorts when we've traveled.

Have to say this does seem weird but then I've not sailed on the Divina. Normally when you provide a credit card you don't say how much you want to authorise, they just get an authorisation for a certain amount. Then you spend at will using your cruise card. If it goes over the original authorisation they took, they just get another one without bothering you. You only hear from them if onboard account exceeds what the card provider will authorise. I've spent up to $3000 on a cruise (that one was from Use to Eirope) and never had to keep putting new amounts on. Maybe it's a feature of US cards working differently from ours but it seems unusual. It's normally only people paying in cash that have to keep going back to put more cash on their accounts as they spend.

Don't know, Amo. We were asked as we were checking in 'Normally, we block $100 for your charges aboard ship, is there a different amount you would prefer?' I said we would like to put $250 on our room charge.

I've read here that sometimes they arbitrarily block the amount of one person's fare for a room, and I was prepared for that, but we were asked specifically.

Don't know, Amo. We were asked as we were checking in 'Normally, we block $100 for your charges aboard ship, is there a different amount you would prefer?' I said we would like to put $250 on our room charge.

I've read here that sometimes they arbitrarily block the amount of one person's fare for a room, and I was prepared for that, but we were asked specifically.

Ah that makes sense. Seems fairies too as a passenger will have a better idea of 1. What available funds they have on the card and 2 how much of it they intend spending on a cruise.

This is true. We had pre-purchased our drink vouchers, which would have been our biggest expense. ;)

There was a raffle on our cruise, I knew I'd spend $100 on our chances for that, and we planned to go to Eataly for dinner. A few cappuccinos and food from the Sports Bar, and we nearly hit that total.

This is true. We had pre-purchased our drink vouchers, which would have been our biggest expense. ;)

There was a raffle on our cruise, I knew I'd spend $100 on our chances for that, and we planned to go to Eataly for dinner. A few cappuccinos and food from the Sports Bar, and we nearly hit that total.

Funny thing about the drink vouchers - on Carnival, we'd pay for these pre-paid vouchers ahead of time. Online, put in credit card, etc.

For MSC, I went online to do it yesterday, and they say that when we pick them up is when they will be charged to our account. So I find that weird.

I realize this is a different cruiseline than I'm used to, and need to go with the flow :) I'm just trying to think of anything that might be different, ahead of time...

Funny thing about the drink vouchers - on Carnival, we'd pay for these pre-paid vouchers ahead of time. Online, put in credit card, etc.

For MSC, I went online to do it yesterday, and they say that when we pick them up is when they will be charged to our account. So I find that weird.

I realize this is a different cruiseline than I'm used to, and need to go with the flow :) I'm just trying to think of anything that might be different, ahead of time...

Yes,but this is the best way to buy vouchers. Prebook, so you avoid the 15% service charge but pay via your onboard account. This counts as onboard spend and evry $200 onboard spend equals a MSC Club loyalty point (as does each night spent onboard). So of you enjoy your MSC cruise and want to book with them Gain, join the club and start earning discounts and other benefits.

Yes,but this is the best way to buy vouchers. Prebook, so you avoid the 15% service charge but pay via your onboard account. This counts as onboard spend and evry $200 onboard spend equals a MSC Club loyalty point (as does each night spent onboard). So of you enjoy your MSC cruise and want to book with them Gain, join the club and start earning discounts and other benefits.

Good information to know!! thank you so much!

Have to say this does seem weird but then I've not sailed on the Divina. Normally when you provide a credit card you don't say how much you want to authorise, they just get an authorisation for a certain amount. Then you spend at will using your cruise card. If it goes over the original authorisation they took, they just get another one without bothering you. You only hear from them if onboard account exceeds what the card provider will authorise. I've spent up to $3000 on a cruise (that one was from Use to Eirope) and never had to keep putting new amounts on. Maybe it's a feature of US cards working differently from ours but it seems unusual. It's normally only people paying in cash that have to keep going back to put more cash on their accounts as they spend.

Nope. I'm US with a US card and have used it the same way as you described above. Give them my card number, buy whatever I want on board, get a bill at the end of the cruise. Hard to believe it doesn't work this way on the Divina. :confused:

What did you win in the raffle? Did you win?

Nope. I'm US with a US card and have used it the same way as you described above. Give them my card number, buy whatever I want on board, get a bill at the end of the cruise. Hard to believe it doesn't work this way on the Divina. :confused:

I know...

I'm very interested in trying a new cruiseline (new to me), but not knowing what might be different is giving me angst! LOL! I like knowing exactly what to do and exactly where to go on Carnival & RCCL.

I know...

I'm very interested in trying a new cruiseline (new to me), but not knowing what might be different is giving me angst! LOL! I like knowing exactly what to do and exactly where to go on Carnival & RCCL.

Hey, what's the worst that can happen and is it worth giving up trying a new experience?

Hey, what's the worst that can happen and is it worth giving up trying a new experience?

LOL! OH, I have no qualms about anything negative happening with the cruise itself. It's having different personalities with me (DH, parents, kids)with me being "in charge", and not knowing what I'm doing. When there is excitement in the air, and then confusion, things can get, let's say, less than vacation-y.

So, the more I know about where to go and what to do to start with, the better. Once my feet touch the boat, I'm not in charge anymore :)