Marseilles

CLOU

Does anyone know if Seabourn offers a free shuttle into downtown in Marseilles? We are visiting this port off the Sojourn and want to rent a car to go off on our own. This was a port on a Regent cruise we took many years ago and we had to walk a long distance from the pier to get to a main road where we could catch a bus so we could pick up our rental car. None of the taxis at the port would take us into town because it was too short a distance and they wanted longer rides with higher fares. We will also look into having the car brought to the pier by the rental car company, but we have only had success with that in a few ports in the past.

Yes, they do. Probably every half hour. It is a fair way in, and stops at the main quay area, which is pretty central. A word of warning; traffic is sometimes very bad and the trip can take quite a long time - should only be about 15 minutes normally I think.

Thanks for the response. Also, I am on a different cruise, at the very end of August. There are several that stop in Marseilles.

Easy to get into town -just walk. No need for driver at all.

Not from Sojourn - it is in the large port some way away from town. You would have to be a dedicated walker to undertake this one.;)

Our ultimate destination is Chateau-Neuf so we just need to rent the car in Marseilles. Last time there was a rental car agency in a main square near where we docked. I wonder how far in advance Seabourn will be able to tell us which pier it will be docking at.

Not from Sojourn - it is in the large port some way away from town. You would have to be a dedicated walker to undertake this one.;)

Was on the Sojourn, or perhaps the Quest, can't remember, but I recall it being not a long walk into town, and not everyone else walking appeared to be in top shape, but I imagine any walk could be considered difficult by some.

Thanks for the response. Also, I am on a different cruise, at the very end of August. There are several that stop in Marseilles.

Not sure about Sojourn but was on Oceania last April (2013) docked near the Cathedral, they have shuttle bus to town. Could see Regent's ship docked somewhere far away, presume it is the big cruise port decribed above. They also have shuttle bus to town. Very surprised Seabourn has not. Disappointed to hear that.

We have docked in Marseille several times in the past 3 years or so, and always had a shuttle bus in to the quay in the centre of town. I don't know if there are two different docking areas, but IMO the dock we have been in was a fair way, and would not be a nice walk in either, as it starts amongst commercial ships with loading lorries etc.

However, maybe it is just me who considers it a long walk - other younger legs might feel differently. Any other opinions on this?

We have docked in Marseille several times in the past 3 years or so, and always had a shuttle bus in to the quay in the centre of town. I don't know if there are two different docking areas, but IMO the dock we have been in was a fair way, and would not be a nice walk in either, as it starts amongst commercial ships with loading lorries etc.

However, maybe it is just me who considers it a long walk - other younger legs might feel differently. Any other opinions on this?

Not sure what the distance is, or if there are any challenges alone the way (stair/steps to navigate) but it is at sea level so at least there is no challenge of altitude. But not sure it makes much difference as to "younger" vs. older as we have been with several passengers who are in their 70s and 80s and quite able to walk distances, and have similarly seen younger passengers who are out of shape and unable to (or unwilling to) walk any distance. Thus, it is not an issue of age as it is of fitness level. And not sure what you mean by "younger" legs -- 20s? 40s? 60s? My mother-in-law is in her 80s and dances across the Atlantic on Crystal's Transatlantic dancing cruises.

Not sure what the distance is, or if there are any challenges alone the way (stair/steps to navigate) but it is at sea level so at least there is no challenge of altitude. But not sure it makes much difference as to "younger" vs. older as we have been with several passengers who are in their 70s and 80s and quite able to walk distances, and have similarly seen younger passengers who are out of shape and unable to (or unwilling to) walk any distance. Thus, it is not an issue of age as it is of fitness level. And not sure what you mean by "younger" legs -- 20s? 40s? 60s? My mother-in-law is in her 80s and dances across the Atlantic on Crystal's Transatlantic dancing cruises.

Fair enough - I should have said 'fitter' legs. However, the fact that each time we have been to this port a shuttle is offered does suggest that it is more than a short stroll to the centre of town.

I think there is more than one port - in fact there must be because we were talking to a customer at Starbucks in town and he was on another ship, a larger one as I recall, and I never saw his ship.