Needing Thoughts and Input on the Bahamas

dbpowell

Good afternoon to everyone....

So here is the situation,We have sailed out of New Orleans 3 times and been everywhere in the Western Caribbean. Only ports we haven't visited is the Bahamas.

Wondering should we do this or look at going out of Florida to the Eastern Caribbean. We only live 2 1/2 hours from New Orleans so thats why we mainly leave from there. Thanks in advance

Key West is my favorite port of all of the places we have been. And we have sailed a good bit.

It is warm. it is clean. All of the restaurants have to pass health standards. No rat toes in the soup.

There are dozens of shops.. that range from bakeries, to sandal shops, to home made purses..to perfume shop.. You can not see them all.

Then they have a trolley. Inexpensive. With a driver, who if he is anything like ours, is hilarious. And know the history. You can stop at seven places.. The Hemingway House with the 6 toes kitties. .the little white house of Truman.....the for most Southern point in the USA and the Gardens.........more but I forget what they are...........and then you catch the trolly the next time it comes around.

It is an enchanting place. You will enjoy it I would think.

The Bahamas (Nassau and Freeport) are my least favorite ports ever! I would choose Eastern Caribbean EVERY time over a stop at the bahamas!

Ditto.

Been to the Bahamas many times, I live on east coast of Florida, so easy to get to, and of Freeport and Nassau, I prefer Freeport but as a whole, I do not care for the Bahamas, especially Nassau. Only decent thing in Nassau is Atlantis resort. Otherwise, whole place feels like a tourist trap.

Freeport is a huge island and you can rent a scooter and go to the whole other end and see how the people really live and eat.

Many cruisers hate The Bahamas. I am in the minority I have been twice, and loved it both times. However, both times I went to the waterpark at Atlantis, what's not to like. It's very expensive, but the most awesome place you can spend the day!!:D

I am in agreement with you on the Bahamas. I have been there three times on land based vacations (all, pre Atlantis resort ), but I loved the it there, and found the beaches among the best I have ever enjoyed. The ocean and beaches are sooooo nice. Water is clear. I will be going to Nassau on a cruise in November and will likely go to a beach for the day.

I have not been, but I hear Ardastra Gardens and zoo are a very good excursion to take. And Carnival has a new excursion to a place called Balmoral, which I have not yet checked out, but might be worth looking into.

We enjoy both the Bahamas and the Eastern.

We like Nassau and have done some fine excursions there: Atlantis, the Sheraton (now Melia), Ardastra Gardens and Zoo, the British Colonial Hilton,

a horse carriage ride, the Pirate's Museum, and this past March we went to the Blue Lagoon for the Dolphin Encounter which was great fun.

In Freeport, we went to Our Lucaya which has lots to offer.

However, we like St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, and several of the other Eastern ports where there is more variety and where it tends to be warmer when we go in March.

Ditto.

Ditto to your ditto. (Unless a ship was stopping in the Exumas.)

I will never again go on a Nassau or Freeport itinerary. That said, Coco Cay with RCI is Bahamas and I'd totally go there again!