anyone purchase a Rolex in Grand Cayman?

diznycrzy622

I purchased a ladies rolex at Kirk' Jewelers when in the Caymans in October 2003. Yes they are an authorized dealer. It was also discounted plus you don't pay sales tax. I was happy with the purchase price I paid and love the watch!

Monarch of the Seas 09/95

Enchanted Isle 07/99

Grandeur of the Seas 10/02

Carnival Conquest 10/03

Grandeur of the Seas 04/04

Mariner of the Seas 11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 2 years later...

Hi , I've lived in Grand Cayman for 23 years and I can assure you that Kirk's is an authorized dealer and a reputable company. It's family owned for two generations and is well respected here. No worries about buying a Rolex there.:)

I know this is an old thread....has anyone purchased one lately???

I purchased one in Cozumel a couple of years ago. One big difference today is that all authorized Rolex dealers have fixed their prices worldwide so you won't see "significant" discounts. The only true benefit from purchasing in the states is the lack of sales tax. (Most US dealers will discount this if asked). You will have to pay a duty on it and should declare it upon entry.

All in all, you can negotiate as good a deal in the US as outside these days so no benefit on Rolex purchases. Diamonds, gold and other stones, definitely can find much better prices in the Carib.

I believe that Fritz 265 is correct in saying that Rolex watches are basically price fixed all over the world. A couple of years ago, we were In Athens, Greece and wanted to buy a Rolex in an official Rolex store.......not a dealer but a store operated by Rolex. The prices there were higher than in the states so we passed it up. Probably the higher prices were caused by the exchange rate of the Euro against the US $. Last year we had a port stop in Grand Cayman and one of our friends bought a Rolex President in Kirk Jewelers and saved a bundle in sales taxes. He put the watch on his wrist and did not declare it when returning to the US. :rolleyes:

I believe that Fritz 265 is correct in saying that Rolex watches are basically price fixed all over the world. A couple of years ago, we were In Athens, Greece and wanted to buy a Rolex in an official Rolex store.......not a dealer but a store operated by Rolex. The prices there were higher than in the states so we passed it up. Probably the higher prices were caused by the exchange rate of the Euro against the US $. Last year we had a port stop in Grand Cayman and one of our friends bought a Rolex President in Kirk Jewelers and saved a bundle in sales taxes. He put the watch on his wrist and did not declare it when returning to the US. :rolleyes:

Your friend is of questionable sense and dubious charachter.

The tarrifs aren't very high if the customs agent bothers to assess one at all. The fines, travel interruption, embarassment, police record and possible jail time for smuggling are much more severe.

Tarrifs are about 3% after the exemptions are deducted. If he can afford a $2000 Rolex, he can certainly afford the $60 Tarrif unless he's, well.... you know.

More information on importing for travelers:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/knowbeforeyougo.ctt/knowbeforeyougo.pdf

Archived