The Excitement of Cruising with Newbies

Our family returned two weeks ago from a 5-day cruise on the Liberty for Spring Break. Although I've been working on a review, I did a lousy job of notes this time, so I'm not making much progress with it.

Our party of 12 consisted of 11 newbies (including my 6 grandkids between the ages of 6 and 12). I've been telling my family stories of how awesome cruising is, and they finally got to find out themselves ... and I was there to get to see them experience it. All the things that I expect to be there ... well, I guess I just take it for granted. I experienced so many things over again for the first time as I watched them discover it.

We spent 16 months planning the trip and no matter what I said or how many pictures I shared of previous cruises, nothing prepared them for the jolt they got when they saw the ship for the first time ... and the amazement when they stepped on board and began to walk through it.

Try to explain the belly-flop competition to a non-cruisers. They listen patiently and mentally cross you off as a goof. But watch the newbies get sucked into the sheer lunacy of the spectacle as it gets underway! So much fun! I jokingly tried to get my son-in-law to compete and wasn't surprised when he turned me down. I WAS surprised when partway through the event as we sat on the edge of the pool watching the contenders, he told me he should have done it.

I took one of the older grandkids to the Majority Rules games show one night and she was bubbling the next day about how much fun she had ... accordingly (except for the youngest kids who went to AO) everyone came with us the next night for the next game show -- and when it came time for the audience to give up their left shoe we were all thrusting shoes in the air. (Really? Where else would you get so carried away that you'd risk being unable to locate one half of your ONLY pair of sandals in a room filled with hundreds of people?).

We managed to make it to the Ice Show, the "In the Air" production and the comedian. We were just too tired to get to see Saturday Night Fever (makes a good reason to go back). And we took in one of the parades. They loved it all.

And then there was the food ... the non-stop food. They really didn't believe you could get multiple appetizers, multiple entrees and multiple desserts. But you can ... and they did. The kids went overboard for the first few days with the non-stop soft-serve. But by mid-cruise I guess they realized it wasn't going to run out and they cut way back to only 4 or 5 cones.

My daughter told me a few weeks before the trip that she wanted this to be the most fantastic week of the kids lives ... and I think it was ... but I suspect it may also have scored pretty highly on the scale for the adults as well.

I savor the memories of their excitement and the fun we had together ... and I look forward to seeing if we can pull it off again someday ... after all -- my daughter was cruise shopping two days after we got home. :)

I love your post!!! My wife and I are taking our kids, two beautiful daughters ages 6 and 8, for their first cruise in just under 2 weeks! We have spent the past 8 months trying to explain to them just how big a cruise ship is, and how much there is to do, but I don't think they have any idea.

To top it off we are sailing Oasis so the 'boat' really should blow them away! Any suggestions on must do activities for a couple of first time cruising girls? They will be in Adventure Ocean a lot I'm sure but my wife and I want this to be something they talk about for years!

What a great post!! I love your enthusiasm and excitement while you tell us about your cruise! We're taking our daughter and son-in-law in two weeks on the Navigator. They are excited beyond belief and we are too!! :D:D:D

My wife had been on a cruise when she was younger but we took our first cruise together with two other seasoned cruisers. It helped a lot to have them show us the way.

My wife and I have our 4th cruise coming up and the first for our son. We're also bringing another couple for their first cruise along with their son. Both boys are 3 years old so it will be great to see the ship and the cruise through their eyes.

Now all I ask is for some nice weather and a great cruise to share with my newbies.:D

I love your post. I will be in a similar position this October and my fear is that I will overwhelm them with the things I love to do. I have to remember to let them discover what they like.

Thanks to each of you for the nice comments. I was very careful to simply describe cruising beforehand and then stand back and watch to see what aspects of it appealed to each of them. We didn't travel as a pack. We would meet up from time to time and someone would announce what they were planning to do shortly. The others could choose their own agenda or tag along.

I let them pick the shore activities. As for the pool deck, my kids noted on boarding day that since we were all in starboard cabins, if anyone was hanging out on the pool deck, they'd try to find a spot along the starboard side ... that way we could meet up more easily -- it worked very well. And we had main seating so we always met up at dinner to share the events of the day and set agendas for the evening.

Each set of parents got to pick a date night and the other set took responsibility for all the kids for the evening ... see how nice they were ... they didn't expect nana to do it! ;)

OP, what a great story!!! We are taking our son, his wife, and their 2 boys ages 4 and 6 on the Allure in December. I can't wait to experience the cruise through their eyes and perspective. They cruised only once (before kids) on the Adventure about a 10 years ago and we know they are going to be blown away:). Thanks for posting!!!