Monemvasia ~ Help?

Hi, has anyone been to Monemvasia, PELOPPONESE, it's on Aegean Delights, Majesty.

Can't seem to find out much about the place.

I would love to know what's there, and what to when we are there or even see some photos?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Spent holidays in this region and believe me its the real Greece, steeped in history and the sights are just magnificent, not sure how much you can see in a day - but just beautiful.

Thomson do a trip to Mystras.

If you are into Byzantine history it will be interesting.

When we holidayed on the Mani getting on for almost 20 years ago I once went there as I was reading John Julius Norwich's books on Byzantium. it's an amazing setting with wonderful views. Reading the books gave me an appreciation of the history behind these buildings.

Monemvasia itself looks a nice place to visit, along the causeway and up the hill to the churches and fortifications.

Edited by joeholiday2

We have just got back from Majesty, and had a lovely day in Monemvasia. We were taken ashore by tender, and there is a bridge across to the rock where there is low town and high town. We walked the bridge, and found that there are no cars in the old town. Entry is through an arched gate, and there are quaint cobbled streets with plenty of shops selling the usual wares, plus bars and cafes as you walk through. I left Ray sitting in the square while I explored a little more as some of the older buildings are being demolished, but have to be replaced with a building of the same design as the original. They are built up the slope if the rock itself, and there are plenty of nooks and crannies to explore. We went to a couple of bars for a beer or two on the way back, and while sitting looking out over the water in the second bar, we saw and waved to the Majesty sailing away past the low town!! We caught the bus down the hill for 1 euro, and found the Majesty had come back. Increased wind had made it difficult for tenders, and she had gone to the other side of the rock, but it was no better. Tenders had been stopped for a while so we found a bar where we could watch the goings on, and on wandering round I found a bar with over 35 Belgian beers!! We along with a few others from the ship enjoyed that one and caught the last tender back for a fun ride along with Katie, the Cruise Director and a few other crew members up in the top of the tender with the driver. Took an attempt or two to get us docked, but this was one of my favourite stops on this cruise.

Sounds like a great port of call. From your description it's the kind of place we'd love to visit.

There's just a bit of concern though when they are tender ports where wind can affect tender operations as sometimes that means you don't get in at all. Santorini has those problems sometimes - one season they only got in about half the time because of unusual and persistent wind direction that year. The Capt didn't even try when we were on board as the port authorities wouldn't run the tenders and the cable car wouldn't be operating. He took us to Patmos instead. I'm always very relieved when the weather's good for tender ports!

Thanks for that info Gill.

It sounds like a nice place, I like exploring places like that :)

Katie, Adam, and the showteam are good fun aren't they, as well as being so talented.

I might try to be clever and put some photos up. Tried but didn't have some security code. They are on the Thomsons FB page.

Ta Gill.

Some great pictures on FB.

BTW, you have just sold me and Mrs Holiday on the Corinth Canal trip. Will save getting the metro into Athens again.

We went over it many years ago and stopped at the cafe by that high bridge at 2am, so saw it lit up, but now want to go through it....

Edited by joeholiday2

Ta Gill.

Some great pictures on FB.

BTW, you have just sold me and Mrs Holiday on the Corinth Canal trip. Will save getting the metro into Athens again.

We went over it many years ago and stopped at the cafe by that high bridge at 2am, so saw it lit up, but now want to go through it....

We haven't done Athens, but I prefer outdoors and boats to city coach rides and loved the Corinth canal.

Linda, it was a bit scary when we saw Majesty sailing away past the rock where we were enjoying chatting with others from the Majesty, but some from later tenders said it was getting a bit rough so they would be trying from the other side of the rock. We did wave to her though.