Mendenhall Glacier

Pattihaha

And they are both reputable companies?

In my opinion. I would take whichever is coming first. We have taken one to Mendenhall and the other back, tho' they prefer you go round trip with the one that particular booth is promoting. Also, at the visitor center you can get in free with the Parks pass for those over 62 from the US. The pass also works in Ketchikan at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center.

In my opinion. I would take whichever is coming first. We have taken one to Mendenhall and the other back, tho' they prefer you go round trip with the one that particular booth is promoting. Also, at the visitor center you can get in free with the Parks pass for those over 62 from the US. The pass also works in Ketchikan at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center.

Excellent. I have the Parks Pass due to being disabled from the military. I'll have to remember to carry it.

Where was this? Mendenhall?

We have been to Juneau 3 times and have gone out there all 3 times.

Sadly, it is changing rather quickly and will eventually be gone. It needs to be seen by everyone at least once.

Have a great trip.

Okie

Sadly, it is changing rather quickly and will eventually be gone. It needs to be seen by everyone at least once.

Perspective - it hasn't changed dramatically in the 25 years I've been visiting ( http://glacierchange.org/scrapbook/mendenhall-glacier/extents-1974-2001/ ). It won't be gone in my lifetime, or in my children's lifetime. By the time my great-great-grandchildren want to see it, we'll be heading towards another Ice Age (as has been happening for millions of years) and it will start growing again.

As others have mentioned it all depends on what you want to see on this special cruise you are about to take......there's way too much to see and do, so make a list of "need to do" and "would like to do" and go from there.

Wife and I wanted to go up the Roberts Mtn Tram and walk around.......nope fogged in with a heavy mist. Got to Mendenhall Glacier on a ship excursion that drove us to the Visitor Center at 12:30p and picked up and back at 3:30p. Had enough time to walk the paved trail to Nugget Falls and get close up pics seen in the previous posts.

And as mentioned, each glacier is different and has it's own history and characteristics. We saw over 24 glaciers on our 14-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on the Sapphire Princess.......and over 1500 digital pics taken. Was great even if several wet days in August!

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here, but I would love to go and see Mendenhall glacier, but we are already booked on the Tracy arm fjord excursion, and will not be back into Juneau untill 3pmish.... All the excursions from our cruise to Mendenhall leave earlier, is there anyway to see the park later in the afternoon or over dinner?

I am trying to do it all....:o[/QUOT. Are you booked on tour off ship or on your own, what company are you booked with? We are traveling north to south on the crown princess June 28. I really want to see Tracy fjord arms but haven't seen tour for it off crown... Maybe missing something as just booked, so not much research yet. We like you want to do it all and see everything... Any ideas welcome..

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here, but I would love to go and see Mendenhall glacier, but we are already booked on the Tracy arm fjord excursion, and will not be back into Juneau untill 3pmish.... All the excursions from our cruise to Mendenhall leave earlier, is there anyway to see the park later in the afternoon or over dinner?

I am trying to do it all....:o[/QUOT. Are you booked on tour off ship or on your own, what company are you booked with? We are traveling north to south on the crown princess June 28. I really want to see Tracy fjord arms but haven't seen tour for it off crown... Maybe missing something as just booked, so not much research yet. We like you want to do it all and see everything... Any ideas welcome..

Only cruises with Tracy Arm listed as a port of call will have excursions to Tracy Arm. The Crown goes to Hubbard and Glacier Bay so it will not go to Tracy Arm. You have a fantastic cruise booked on the Crown and will see a lot of wonderful things. Very few cruises go to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! We aren't the hiking type, so trails don't matter much. I guess the real question here is, is it worth the time to see it? There's tons to do for us in Juneau and we're having trouble with only 8 hours in port.

Thanks again

For us, it is more like a typical tourist thinging. Got to go there and take a peek and shoot a few pictures. :)

Taking crown princess for 7 day cruise but doing 5 day land before 2 nights in Fairbanks , one in Denali , one McKinley . We have never been to Alaska and this will most likely be our only trip.......does anyone have any ideas for our land time......hoping to get some help from experience Alaska travelers .

Hello,

We are cruising on the Star Princess in August and our ship spends a day cruising around Glacier Bay. Since we are seeing glaciers in the bay, is it worth taking the time to go to Mendenhall Glacier while docked in Juneau. Is the visitors center worth the time also?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the ride is a short one and the Mendenhall is wonderful. The visitor center has a lot to offer as well. We did it on both cruises to Alaska. The first was in 1999 and the other just last summer. I could notice the face has decreased over just these few years! Wouldn't miss going if I were you. If you have a NP pass the visitor center is included.

We liked Mendenhall Glacier. Last week we paid 15$ for the shuttle bus and I think it's a good value for money. Paid more for less spectacular things :D

The shuttle is $20 per person, round trip. It was $16 when we took it a few years ago, but it has gone up this year.

The shuttle is $20 per person, round trip. It was $16 when we took it a few years ago, but it has gone up this year.

Well, on their ad it was $20, but they offered it to us for $15. We haven't asked for a discount. (We were coming after noon, perhaps this was the reason?!)

Well, on their ad it was $20, but they offered it to us for $15. We haven't asked for a discount. (We were coming after noon, perhaps this was the reason?!)

Most people will end up paying the full $20, so I thought it best to clarify, so people can plan and budget appropriately.

I've found that you can deal with the vendors on the Pier. Last year I told the kid selling tickets I'd give him $10 for 2 tickets out to the Glacier, he said No, I said see ya, turned around and started to walk away when called me back and said $12, I said $10 and he said OK. I've done that numerous times.

I've found that you can deal with the vendors on the Pier. Last year I told the kid selling tickets I'd give him $10 for 2 tickets out to the Glacier, he said No, I said see ya, turned around and started to walk away when called me back and said $12, I said $10 and he said OK. I've done that numerous times.

How would a kid get you out to Mendenhall?? :confused: