Volendam Handicapped B6228 - thoughts?

sparklplenty

Hi all!

Recently booked the July 9th Alaska cruise on the Volendam...SO excited! This is a celebration cruise for Mom's remission - Yay! Mom (85) has definite mobility issues (legally handicapped, though no wheelchair). I mentioned this to our HAL TA couple of days ago, she just wrote to say she moved us up to the handicapped cabin B6228 (from a BC Guarantee). I'm SO relieved that Mom will have a walk-in shower rather than a tub, as I was imagining having to be in the bathroom every time she entered and exited the tub/shower. That said, a couple of questions for you more experienced cruisers:

A. Guilt?

1. Even though having a walk-in shower for Mom is a huge relief, I'm feeling a tad guilty in case someone else might need the cabin more. Thoughts?

B. Cabin and location

2. Impressions of B6228? Noise from the door to the stern deck? Size of balcony? Distance to elevators? Any photos?

Any and all input gladly welcome!

Thanks,

Sparklplenty

You don't have to be confined to a wheel chair to be handicapped. I use a scooter or walker sometimes (depending on how far o have to go and energy level) but I am not chair bound. I have serious mobility issues that require modified access that other cabins (and hotel rooms) don't offer. If I don't have grip bars in the bathroom I can't get up from the bathroom on my own and I can't stand in a shower without a seat. For a tub I need help since I cannot lift my right leg more than an inch or so on my own.

If they offered both handicap and modified rooms then you could put for modified only. But that is not your situation so don't feel guilty about taking that room for her, she needs it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Your mother has every right to use that cabin. One does not need to be in a W/C full time to be "handicapped". So stop feeling guilty right now ;)

As for the location, I can't imagine that little deck will get much use. I spoke with a couple who were in a cabin by the door to the Lower Promenade Deck\ and asked them if they were hearing the door a lot. They said it was not affecting them at all, that they did not hear it. The doors to the LP would, I suspect, get MUCH more use than the door to that little aft deck.

You don't have to be confined to a wheel chair to be handicapped. I use a scooter or walker sometimes (depending on how far o have to go and energy level) but I am not chair bound. I have serious mobility issues that require modified access that other cabins (and hotel rooms) don't offer. If I don't have grip bars in the bathroom I can't get up from the bathroom on my own and I can't stand in a shower without a seat. For a tub I need help since I cannot lift my right leg more than an inch or so on my own.

If they offered both handicap and modified rooms then you could put for modified only. But that is not your situation so don't feel guilty about taking that room for her, she needs it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reassurance, Sherilyn! You described Mom's situation exactly, with the need for bars in the bathroom and, optimally, the shower. Good to know there's a spectrum of needs for the HC rooms.

Your mother has every right to use that cabin. One does not need to be in a W/C full time to be "handicapped". So stop feeling guilty right now ;)

As for the location, I can't imagine that little deck will get much use. I spoke with a couple who were in a cabin by the door to the Lower Promenade Deck\ and asked them if they were hearing the door a lot. They said it was not affecting them at all, that they did not hear it. The doors to the LP would, I suspect, get MUCH more use than the door to that little aft deck.

As you command, Cow Princess, I will stop feeling guilty right now...thanks! ;)

That was my hope about the little deck, so it's nice to get reassurance. Besides, all Mom has to do is take out her hearing aids at night and she won't hear a thing! Now me, that's another matter :D