Our so-so time in Cozumel

Susky

We were in Cozumel on July 29th (via the Valor), and we had planned on visiting Nachi Cocum. By accounts posted here, they were supposed to be open...but when we arrived and tried to secure a few cabs (there were 14 of us), we were told by the cab drivers that Nachi was closed.

Faced with the frustration of not getting the "all inclusive" treatment, and after hearing all the raves about it here, we opted for Paradise Beach. I'm not sure if it was the glowing reviews here, the overcrowding from all the diverted beachgoers (several other beaches were also closed), or just from the general letdown of not getting our original excursion...but we were disappointed with PB. I guess it probably didn't help that some of us experienced some beautiful beaches in Roatan and Grand Cayman.

Anyway, when we arrived, PB was very busy. Once we secured beach chairs (a helpful PB employee got most of them for us), we were able to get a drink and relax. Then the kids went swimming, and came back complaining about the rocky beach. I knew about that fact, but I wasn't prepared for the size of the rocks.

I did get farther out in the water and did some snorkeling. Nothing great, but saw a few fish such. At least it was entertaining.

After a while, we went into the restaurant area and experienced some of the slowest service we'd seen in quite some time. Again, I suspect that the place was way understaffed for the number of guests that had arrived there. Eating lunch took much longer than we wanted it to, and by the time we got everybody done, we were ready to leave.

Oh...and suddenly, sometime around 2:30 PM or so, we experienced what seemed like a science-fiction-type "attack of the flies" on the beach. Those suckers were everywhere. If you left a fruity-drink glass sitting around, it would be coated with dozens of flies. Yuck.

Once we left PB and headed back to the port, some of us shopped a little bit, and some just went back to the ship. We had planned on all meeting up for a quick dinner on the ship, and then had out to Carlos and Charlie's for some fun. But I think our beach day took much longer than we wanted it, and we decided to skip the cab ride, and just enjoy some adult beverages at Fat Tuesdays. The party atmosphere of the evening, topped by a great Lido Deck party on the ship afterward, salvaged the day for us.

Anyway...I don't want to sound like I'm bellyaching about PB. I'm sure it's a nice place when it's not overcrowded. And I know the rocks have always been there, and there is really nothing they can do about the flies. It was just all these things that added up in our frustrated minds, and made the day much more stressful than it should have been.

Yes, those flies were disgusting!! We had a plate of chips and salsa and couldn't eat them because they were covered in flies.

I knew about the rocks, it's pretty much that way everywhere in Cozumel.

We went wave running which was fun. Kids kyacked and used the iceberg. Some girl got very hurt and was taken away, did you see that?

Also went to Fat tuesdays and the deck party.

The deck party was fun, we were pretty lit by then lol. Loved the Conga line, too bad the white team lost. I lost my voices screaming white, white, white! LOL

later we walked down to Playa Del Sol. It looked pretty run down, glad we went to PB even though it was packed.

I think you're right, GC, Belize and Honduras were so pretty then you get to Cozumel.

Just a reminder, Cozumel WAS hit by a hurricane just a couple of weeks earlier. Any beach club that had palapa roofs, more than likely, lost them to the hurricane which is why some places may have looked run down. In early June everything was beautiful and the beaches were fly free. Could have been some strange weather thing that brought the flies in.

If you didn't enjoy Cozumel this time around, give it another chance outside of hurricane season. It's a wonderful island with some fantastic beach clubs.

Oh, I'm well aware of the hurricane damage. I don't think there was any issue with places looking run down. It was just more a series of frustrations adding up. I'm sure the next time will be better, especially now that we'll have more realistic expectations.

Just a reminder, Cozumel WAS hit by a hurricane just a couple of weeks earlier. Any beach club that had palapa roofs, more than likely, lost them to the hurricane which is why some places may have looked run down. In early June everything was beautiful and the beaches were fly free. Could have been some strange weather thing that brought the flies in.

If you didn't enjoy Cozumel this time around, give it another chance outside of hurricane season. It's a wonderful island with some fantastic beach clubs.

I've been to Cozumel many times. It still doesn't compare to places like Belize or GC IMO. I know the devastation a hurricane can cause, I live right next to Sanibel Island, we were hit hard by Charley. By run down I saw chairs that needed replacing, the pool was filthy, I used the restroom while I was there, it was disgusting. PB was much better kept up then Playa Del Sol. I'm sure the flies were a freak thing.

Aw, it's nothing I won't get over. And FWIW, here is a picture of the most obvious storm damage at PB. Note the shortened trees and the lack of roof on the right-side building.

Oh...and I took the picture late in the day (after the fly onslaught). That's why so many chairs are empty in the shot.

pb1.jpg

By run down I saw chairs that needed replacing, the pool was filthy, I used the restroom while I was there, it was disgusting. PB was much better kept up then Playa Del Sol.

Playa Sol changed its name to Playa Mia about 1 year ago. It was hit hard by the storm just like Paradise Beach...lost its palapa roof. The facilities did not reopen to the public until this past Monday. So, yes, if you were there last week, it was not ready for visitors. I was out there today and the pòol is crystal clear, the beach up to par and even the water visibility is very nice and clear - snorkelers enjoying the underwater sights. As far as the restrooms, clean as can be. Both the Fiesta Party Boat (which stops at Playa Mia) and the Beach Adventures tours are up and running just fine!

I am soo sorry I did not get to meet anyone on the roll call. I spent alot of time "wondering" if that was so and so. Yes, sunfun, I did see that one girl get carried out of the water. We had a small problem there with some teen kids sitting on top of the iceburg pushing the smaller ones off when they reached the top. I complained MANY times but the guy in the kayak just kept telling me it was o.k. My sons swam in crying a few times. (Yes, that was my husband yelling from the shore.) (cringe!!) That group of kids did not have wrist bands either, and I saw many parents kicked off the water toys(they also did not have wrist bands) who were there trying to control the problem. I have to say that although Iwas fighting flies and teens, I had a great day there! I thought it was relaxing, but hey I live near L.A.:)

I am soo sorry I did not get to meet anyone on the roll call. I spent alot of time "wondering" if that was so and so

I did the same thing! LOL Looks like a lot of us were in the same place at the same time too.

I didn't notice your husband yelling. I did notice all the teens on the iceberg, what a shame. Luckily my son liked the kyacking better and only stayed on eth iceberg a little while.

I enjoyed the wave runners the best.

That's too bad that your day at Paradise Beach wasn't the best. We were there in early April and absolutely loved it. I would agree about the rocky beach. I was disappointed too that the slope of the entire beach along that strip is nearly impossible to walk on too. We went out on the pier in the shade and sat in the little chairs out there. There was no one there and it was wonderful. We snorkeled out off the pier and it was wonderful. No rocks there since it's deeper. A nice ladder too so it was easy to get and out of the water. We had a great guy who took care of us on the beach but we got there very early in the day too. I think we were the second couple there - around 9:00 or so. We ran a tab for the whole day and our service was outstanding. We definetely would go there again but know it go very crowded around 10:30 a.m. or so. Interestingly, around 12:30 or so, it cleared out...assume people went back to their ships to eat lunch. We thought we would do the same since we had been there since 9 but we loved it so much we stayed until around 2:30 or so. Appreciated that the restrooms were so clean too. For us, the best part was the great shaded area on the pier - our stop was later in the week and were getting pretty fried so it was a nice change.

Mary

Oh, I'm well aware of the hurricane damage. I don't think there was any issue with places looking run down. It was just more a series of frustrations adding up. I'm sure the next time will be better, especially now that we'll have more realistic expectations.

Thank you for your honest remarks! I hope you have a better trip next time!

Archived