Can you climb at Chacchoben?

KenBenz

I've read conflicting reports about if you are allowed to climb any of the ruins. Some say they are all off-limits, while others say that there is one available to climb to the top.

Can anyone who has been there recently give a definate answer?

Thanks,

Ken

I was just there last week. There was a little climbing allowed but mostly just the lower part and some not at all. They said so many people come to see the ruins that they would be destroyed if they allowed everyone to climb at free will on them.

You can only climb 6 or 7 stairs on Temple 1 and 24. There are long steps to climb up that is called Gran Basamento that takes you from one level of the ruins to an upper level. Temple 1 is up there and it is well worth the little climb. But as you can imagine there are no railings and someone would probably fall and get hurt or something. You can go to the Chacchoben ruin web site and see basically what some of the temples look like. If you go, make sure you look down!! My husband found a piece of pottery sticking up.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just there on 8/22 and saw two people take nasty falls off the temple steps. They can be quite slippery and are over 1,000 years old.

Also keep in mind that these are sacred temples on what is considered holy ground. It is very disrespectful to climb the ruins.

Food for thought.

Archived