New Orleans Hotel

We are cruising Mar. 2015 and would like to stay 1 night pre-cruise in or near the French Quarter. Have been here on numerous occasions before but always stayed further away but would like to be within walking distance of the "fun" on Bourbon St. On a limited budget - any suggestions? Also curious about hotel parking charges for the night - already have cruise parking taken care of.

Thanks

Hi, would like to recommend the Internation House in New Orleans, We stayed there a year ago and loved it. Only a couple of blocks from Burbon street and quiet and really a neat old place. It was great in our opinion. We live on the west coast and an old hotel that is immaculately taken care of is a treat!!! Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be cruising out of New Orleans in November .... to make things worse we sail during one of the Saints weekends. We will be staying 3 nights before our cruise. Here is were I need some advise.

1. Staying near the airport will save us a lot of money.....but, how convenient is it to the French Quarters?

2. Getting around.... I really don't want to rent a car.

How about the buses? Are they a good options.

What are the prices for taxi's?

3. Trolley .... I know that once we get into a certain area we can take the trolley. How convenient is it?

Thanks in advance.

OceanDreams

The New Orleans airport is located in Kenner - a suburb of New Orleans. This is in a different parish (county). The French Quarter is not close - about 14 miles driving - about 20-25 minute ride on most days except at peak traffic. New Orleans is fairly compact - we are defined by the river and the lake, so everything is fairly close.

I personally think the money that you save by staying in Kenner will be offset by what you spend for transportation. I would try for something close to the Quarter (like the CBD) or on the St. Charles streetcar line.

Saints home games should not really affect you - unless you stay right by the Superdome or try to travel by the Dome 1-2 hours before or after the game. If you decide to stay in Kenner allow time for this to get to the port on game day.

Airport website: http://www.flymsy.com. Click on "transportation & parking". A taxi for 2 people is $33. For 3 or more it is $14/each.

Buses are going to be difficult - they say 50 minutes, but that would be under the best circumstances. The airport website has the links. It would be very difficult with luggage and even more difficult on weekends when you would have to catch multiple buses.

It is a streetcar - not a trolley in New Orleans. There are several lines - the famous St. Charles line, the newer Canal St. and Riverfront lines, and the newest Loyola line. They are fun to ride - just remember that you need exact change since the driver does not make change.

Renting a car has some disadvantages, too, since parking can be expensive in certain sections especially in the Quarter. Many downtown hotels charge for parking, but not all.

I suggest you read through this board and the New Orleans board (under Ports of Call) for more info & suggestions.

1. Staying near the airport will save us a lot of money.....but, how convenient is it to the French Quarters?

As the above poster said, not at all. I stayed near the airport once due to a great deal but if you are wanting to go into the city that is offset by taxi costs. Definitely stay in the Quarter or CBD.

As the above poster said, not at all. I stayed near the airport once due to a great deal but if you are wanting to go into the city that is offset by taxi costs. Definitely stay in the Quarter or CBD.

The New Orleans airport is located in Kenner - a suburb of New Orleans. This is in a different parish (county). The French Quarter is not close - about 14 miles driving - about 20-25 minute ride on most days except at peak traffic. New Orleans is fairly compact - we are defined by the river and the lake, so everything is fairly close.

I personally think the money that you save by staying in Kenner will be offset by what you spend for transportation. I would try for something close to the Quarter (like the CBD) or on the St. Charles streetcar line.

Saints home games should not really affect you - unless you stay right by the Superdome or try to travel by the Dome 1-2 hours before or after the game. If you decide to stay in Kenner allow time for this to get to the port on game day.

Airport website: http://www.flymsy.com. Click on "transportation & parking". A taxi for 2 people is $33. For 3 or more it is $14/each.

Buses are going to be difficult - they say 50 minutes, but that would be under the best circumstances. The airport website has the links. It would be very difficult with luggage and even more difficult on weekends when you would have to catch multiple buses.

It is a streetcar - not a trolley in New Orleans. There are several lines - the famous St. Charles line, the newer Canal St. and Riverfront lines, and the newest Loyola line. They are fun to ride - just remember that you need exact change since the driver does not make change.

Renting a car has some disadvantages, too, since parking can be expensive in certain sections especially in the Quarter. Many downtown hotels charge for parking, but not all.

I suggest you read through this board and the New Orleans board (under Ports of Call) for more info & suggestions.

Thank you so much for all the information. We'll find a hotel that is in CBD.

OceanDreams

Since it appears you are a NOLA local, how would you say the area is around the Downtown Holiday Inn-Superdome on Loyola Ave? We're coming in on Amtrak next April for a cruise. Is it close to the train station and is the hotel on one of the streetcar lines? Any restaurants nearby? Thanks

Another suggestion, if it is a busy time and hotels are booking up for the time frame you are pre or post cruising, you might look at the options offered by the cruise line. That worked best for us when we cruised Serenade OTS this past April as there was a big Wrestlemania event (with lots of out-of-towners) and a couple of musical festivals.

Such a fun city - can't wait to get back!!