Ziplining in Alaska

jewel825

We will be heading on an Alaskan cruise in August and my family is interested in ziplining. My kids will be 13 and 10 and I know they have weight and age limits but they vary. Is there one port that is better than another for this activity? Is there one excursion within a port that is preferred? Help!

I've been zip lining many times, but only once in Alaska. I picked this excursion because it seemed the easiest (no rappelling at the end).

"Your excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a scenic, narrated drive to the rich rainforest at Herring Cove.

This award-winning eco-adventure combines a flight over eight ziplines and 6,000 feet of high tension cables, with a journey across three aerial bridges over a ground-based network of nature trails and boardwalks. The course is ideally located in the middle of the 17.5 million acre Tongass National Forest.

Upon arriving, you'll board a 4x4 all-terrain vehicle for a short drive to Canopy Chalet. Here, you'll receive a detailed safety briefing and gear up with state-of-the-art safety equipment as you prepare to launch from the first platform. Your guides will ease you into the forest canopy along cables ranging from a short 175 feet to the 850-foot, pulse-pounding "Ben's Revenge." You'll watch for wildlife from the tree platforms, discover a hidden forest waterfall and cross three hanging sky bridges, all offering breathtaking views of the virgin forest up to 135 feet below.

The final zipline emerges from the rainforest and transports you over lush grassy wetlands to a viewing tower 55 feet above the ground. You'll descend stairs and gear down at the base camp, where you'll be presented with a custom cast medal in recognition of your achievement.

A complimentary snack and hot beverage in the General Store or take the opportunity to visit Alaska Wildlife Foundation's Reindeer and Raptor Center exhibits at your leisure as a way to cap off this exhilarating day. Your excursion concludes with a scenic drive back to the pier.

This excursion was chosen last season by Princess passengers for overall tour quality and outstanding customer service and awarded Shore Excursion of the Season in Ketchikan."

This year we are going to try this one:

"Your journey begins at the dock where you'll board a van on a 20-minute narrated drive through historic downtown Skagway and then up the Klondike Highway. A short walk on a rainforest trail brings you to the spectacular adventure park where expert guides will outfit you with the proper safety equipment and instructions. Then you're off to enjoy the thrill of the ropes course and zipline experience.

Start by entering into an incredible series of ropes course crossings including Burma loops, suspended bridge and raised balance beam. Next up is a fantastic series of six ziplines through the lush Alaska canopy. As you zip from platform to platform, fellow participants cheer you on. Your heart will be pumping as you prepare for the "Walk the Plank" segment soaring high above the ground through the treetops.

You'll have approximately 2 1/2 hours to enjoy this unique adventure featuring amazing mountain views and the excitement of effortlessly soaring through the air! Afterwards, enjoy a quick snack of hot cocoa, coffee and trail mix - included with your tour - before heading back to the pier."

This one is priced at $99.00 vs $179.00 for the one in Ketchikan. There's one offered in Juneau too, but it's also pricey. I would try the one in Skagway. I'll come back and post in 3 weeks and let you know how it was.

Anyway, my criteria for picking the ziplines is easiest, cheapest, what else do I want to do in the port, and how much time do I have in the port? Our cruise has a full day in Skagway, so we have time for another tour in the afternoon. In Juneau, I prefer the Mount Robert's tram or Mendenhall Glacier. In Ketchikan, I love walking around the little town or going to the Salmon hatchery.

Hope that helps.:)

Edited by partybarbie

I've been zip lining many times, but only once in Alaska. I picked this excursion because it seemed the easiest (no rappelling at the end).

"Your excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a scenic, narrated drive to the rich rainforest at Herring Cove.

This award-winning eco-adventure combines a flight over eight ziplines and 6,000 feet of high tension cables, with a journey across three aerial bridges over a ground-based network of nature trails and boardwalks. The course is ideally located in the middle of the 17.5 million acre Tongass National Forest.

Upon arriving, you'll board a 4x4 all-terrain vehicle for a short drive to Canopy Chalet. Here, you'll receive a detailed safety briefing and gear up with state-of-the-art safety equipment as you prepare to launch from the first platform. Your guides will ease you into the forest canopy along cables ranging from a short 175 feet to the 850-foot, pulse-pounding "Ben's Revenge." You'll watch for wildlife from the tree platforms, discover a hidden forest waterfall and cross three hanging sky bridges, all offering breathtaking views of the virgin forest up to 135 feet below.

The final zipline emerges from the rainforest and transports you over lush grassy wetlands to a viewing tower 55 feet above the ground. You'll descend stairs and gear down at the base camp, where you'll be presented with a custom cast medal in recognition of your achievement.

A complimentary snack and hot beverage in the General Store or take the opportunity to visit Alaska Wildlife Foundation's Reindeer and Raptor Center exhibits at your leisure as a way to cap off this exhilarating day. Your excursion concludes with a scenic drive back to the pier.

This excursion was chosen last season by Princess passengers for overall tour quality and outstanding customer service and awarded Shore Excursion of the Season in Ketchikan."

This year we are going to try this one:

"Your journey begins at the dock where you'll board a van on a 20-minute narrated drive through historic downtown Skagway and then up the Klondike Highway. A short walk on a rainforest trail brings you to the spectacular adventure park where expert guides will outfit you with the proper safety equipment and instructions. Then you're off to enjoy the thrill of the ropes course and zipline experience.

Start by entering into an incredible series of ropes course crossings including Burma loops, suspended bridge and raised balance beam. Next up is a fantastic series of six ziplines through the lush Alaska canopy. As you zip from platform to platform, fellow participants cheer you on. Your heart will be pumping as you prepare for the "Walk the Plank" segment soaring high above the ground through the treetops.

You'll have approximately 2 1/2 hours to enjoy this unique adventure featuring amazing mountain views and the excitement of effortlessly soaring through the air! Afterwards, enjoy a quick snack of hot cocoa, coffee and trail mix - included with your tour - before heading back to the pier."

This one is priced at $99.00 vs $179.00 for the one in Ketchikan. There's one offered in Juneau too, but it's also pricey. I would try the one in Skagway. I'll come back and post in 3 weeks and let you know how it was.

Anyway, my criteria for picking the ziplines is easiest, cheapest, what else do I want to do in the port, and how much time do I have in the port? Our cruise has a full day in Skagway, so we have time for another tour in the afternoon. In Juneau, I prefer the Mount Robert's tram or Mendenhall Glacier. In Ketchikan, I love walking around the little town or going to the Salmon hatchery.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks Party Barbie (love the name, lol). The zipline excursion you did last year sounds perfect for us. The one you are doing this time with the ropes course sounds a bit more intimidating for someone like me who is afraid of heights! I'll have to see how much time we have in Ketchikan and see if we can make it work with the rest of our group.

Thanks Party Barbie (love the name, lol). The zipline excursion you did last year sounds perfect for us. The one you are doing this time with the ropes course sounds a bit more intimidating for someone like me who is afraid of heights! I'll have to see how much time we have in Ketchikan and see if we can make it work with the rest of our group.

We did the zipline in Skagway on our Alaska cruise 7 years ago. It was great fun. I would suggest, however, if you have a problem with heights you may want to forgo any zipline tour. The rope bridges on our tour were the least problematic of the whole tour for those with some aversion to heights (this based on several comments from participants in our group). Personally, I would say take a deep breath and go for it anyway. You might surprise yourself and find the thrill is more powerful (and more fun) than the fear. YMMV. :cool:

We also did this tour.It was a little wet, being a rain forest. Only place we found rain on the whole trip. but it was outstanding in terms of service and well run.

They take a photo half way across as well you can buy.

The staff are excellent and friendly

Fiona and Pete

New Zealand :cool:

Yes, I forgot to mention that my dad is 73 and he was able to do the zipline in Ketchikan. We were lucky that we had nice weather that day, usually they get a lot of rain there.

We did the zipline in Skagway on our Alaska cruise 7 years ago. It was great fun. I would suggest, however, if you have a problem with heights you may want to forgo any zipline tour. The rope bridges on our tour were the least problematic of the whole tour for those with some aversion to heights (this based on several comments from participants in our group). Personally, I would say take a deep breath and go for it anyway. You might surprise yourself and find the thrill is more powerful (and more fun) than the fear. YMMV. :cool:

Oops, it was in Ketchikan not Skagway. Seven years is too long, we need to go back!!

I'm terrified of heights but I know I'd love it if I did it. I've done smaller ziplines which scared me to let go but I had a blast doing it. I did the one on the Allure last year and then also the one in downtown Vegas before they took it out.

We also did this tour.It was a little wet, being a rain forest. Only place we found rain on the whole trip. but it was outstanding in terms of service and well run.

They take a photo half way across as well you can buy.

The staff are excellent and friendly

Fiona and Pete

New Zealand :cool:

Thanks for the feedback. The weather is going to be iffy in Alaska no matter what we do. I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience. Those photos they take when you aren't aware they are taking them always turn out the best. True candid shots!

Partie Barbie,

Think we were on pacific pricess last November and December with you.

When you return from -Alaska, please post your comments on Skagway zip line. We are on Grand in August and it is either Skagway or Juneau zip line, still undecided. Cannot do Ketchikan as already have a float plane trip booked there.

Thanks

Ann

We will be heading on an Alaskan cruise in August and my family is interested in ziplining. My kids will be 13 and 10 and I know they have weight and age limits but they vary. Is there one port that is better than another for this activity? Is there one excursion within a port that is preferred? Help!

We weighed this question in 2009 and I just made the same decision a few minutes ago. Given Mendenhal is a must-do and I'm a sucker for the sled dogs, zip-lining in Ketchikan is our only option. Last time we did Bear Creek and loved it. (I didn't love the long slide at the end but I was the only one who didn't love the slide at the end.) This time we'll probably do the Rainforest Canopy & Zipline adventure.

If you're afraid of heights but want to do it anyways, Alaska is the place to do it. The people running these courses are professionals, either with their degree in hand (I know, how did I miss that in college) or obtaining their degree. You're clipped in twice and all gear is checked and re-checked. So if you're facing your fear, this is the place.

Also, the entire excursion is only a few hours so you can wander around town or do whatever else you'd like to do in port. You're not spending your entire day doing one thing, which I like.

Have a great time!

Jenna

As a person terrified of heights let me say don't let that stop you. My family out voted me on our excursion when we were in Jamaica and I had to zipline. I was so afraid, but it turned out to be the best excursion I've ever done. It's been 6 years sent we went and I still think about how much fun I had!! We won't be doing it when we go to Alaska, not this time anyway!

We weighed this question in 2009 and I just made the same decision a few minutes ago. Given Mendenhal is a must-do and I'm a sucker for the sled dogs, zip-lining in Ketchikan is our only option. Last time we did Bear Creek and loved it. (I didn't love the long slide at the end but I was the only one who didn't love the slide at the end.) This time we'll probably do the Rainforest Canopy & Zipline adventure.

If you're afraid of heights but want to do it anyways, Alaska is the place to do it. The people running these courses are professionals, either with their degree in hand (I know, how did I miss that in college) or obtaining their degree. You're clipped in twice and all gear is checked and re-checked. So if you're facing your fear, this is the place.

Also, the entire excursion is only a few hours so you can wander around town or do whatever else you'd like to do in port. You're not spending your entire day doing one thing, which I like.

Have a great time!

Jenna

Thanks Jenna! I like the fact that they clip you in twice and double and triple check that you're secure before they send you off. I'm sure I could do it once I got there - the hardest part is letting go!

As a person terrified of heights let me say don't let that stop you. My family out voted me on our excursion when we were in Jamaica and I had to zipline. I was so afraid, but it turned out to be the best excursion I've ever done. It's been 6 years sent we went and I still think about how much fun I had!! We won't be doing it when we go to Alaska, not this time anyway!

I know once you conquer those fears, you have a fantastic time! I don't know anyone who went forward to face their fears head on and regretted it. :)

I know once you conquer those fears, you have a fantastic time! I don't know anyone who went forward to face their fears head on and regretted it. :)

We are on the Jewel out of Seattle on June 7th. We are also zip-lining in Ketchikan. I'm trying to convince my wife and daughter to go with us.

Got my wife, who is scared of heights, to go parasailing in the Bahamas on last cruise. She absolutely loved it, after the initial fears that is. Once we were up, she started talking about wanting to parasail in every port.

If you are scared of heights, give it a chance. You will not regret it!!!

Only question we have is can we take cameras with us when zip-lining? I will be disappointed if we can't snap some pictures while we are enjoying the scenery!

Kelly

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are planning to do the zip line in Icy Strait Point. I understand it is more like a ride than a zip line, but can't resist the "longest zip line in the world".

My mom and I went zip lining in Costa Rica and loved it. Couldn't convince any of the adult men in our lives to join us (dad, brother, my SO). I'm taking my 14 year old nephew in Icy Strait Point.

We are on the Jewel out of Seattle on June 7th. We are also zip-lining in Ketchikan. I'm trying to convince my wife and daughter to go with us.

Got my wife, who is scared of heights, to go parasailing in the Bahamas on last cruise. She absolutely loved it, after the initial fears that is. Once we were up, she started talking about wanting to parasail in every port.

If you are scared of heights, give it a chance. You will not regret it!!!

Only question we have is can we take cameras with us when zip-lining? I will be disappointed if we can't snap some pictures while we are enjoying the scenery!

Kelly

I don't know if I could ever go parasailing!!! Ziplining is such a cool way to see things that a car or walking won't allow. I now need to figure out the age and weight requirements. On our last cruise, my daughter didn't weigh enough to do the zipline on the Allure. She's almost at 75 pounds so she's close to a lot of the weight restrictions.

I don't know if I could ever go parasailing!!! Ziplining is such a cool way to see things that a car or walking won't allow. I now need to figure out the age and weight requirements. On our last cruise, my daughter didn't weigh enough to do the zipline on the Allure. She's almost at 75 pounds so she's close to a lot of the weight restrictions.

if you can zipline, you could go parasailing!!! Once your up, you don't want to come down!

We are ziplining in Skagway and have a question for those of you who have already done this excursion. Our plan has been to carry a backpack with us on all of our excursions, with raincoat, wallets, cameras etc. How did you carry your "stuff" on the zipline? Can you wear a backpack? or should we plan to wear clothing with lots of pockets?

I wrote to Guest services for the tour, and they said we could leave our packs on the bus, but we wouldn't have access to them for the duration of the zipline.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the zip line was taken out in Vegas. I think they added more than what they had in the past. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm terrified of heights but I know I'd love it if I did it. I've done smaller ziplines which scared me to let go but I had a blast doing it. I did the one on the Allure last year and then also the one in downtown Vegas before they took it out.

I don't think the zip line was taken out in Vegas. I think they added more than what they had in the past. Correct me if I am wrong.

They had one in the downtown area of Vegas (Fremont Street) that was just a temporary one. This zipline was just over the Fremont Street and was only about 30 seconds long. It was supposed to be for just a couple of months but lasted a couple of years. They are putting in a new one that is much bigger where you shoot out of a slot machine from 14 stories up or something crazy like that. The new one was supposed to open a while ago but the last I heard, it's still not open. I'm not sure if I am up for that one!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and 10 y/o grandson are doing the Grizzly Bear zip line next week when we are on the NCL Pearl. She had to find one that had a light weight limit for the grandson. We will report back on that one, booked thru NCL.