Scuba Diving - Morning or Afternoon?

jzc8n4

I will be staying in Cozumel for a few days on a scuba trip, and I can schedule morning or afternoon dives. The afternoon dives are $10 cheaper per dive. I'm inclined to take the savings, but am interested in knowing if the afternoons are cheaper because of anything that makes the diving conditions less favorable, or is it simply that the morning schedules work better for cruisers?

Thanks,

What company are you diving with?

When we were looking it seemed like most morning dives were two tank and afternoons were one tank, but it depended on the op.

We liked diving in the morning, but picked an op that would get us between 8 and 9; we didn't want to get up too early on vacation!

What company are you diving with?

When we were looking it seemed like most morning dives were two tank and afternoons were one tank, but it depended on the op.

We liked diving in the morning, but picked an op that would get us between 8 and 9; we didn't want to get up too early on vacation!

I haven't booked anything yet, but Dive Paradise is offering an afternoon 2-tank dive for $68, with $15 equipment rental. The similar dive in the morning is $78.

Thanks,

I'm guessing with Dive Paradise it is a combo of cruisers and hotel guests are more apt to want to dive in the morning. (Hotel guests that way they can use the rest of their day doing something in town or at the resort, or spending time with non-cruisers.)

It may not matter to you- but ask DP their policies on dive time. I think they may be one of the companies where everyone comes up after a 45 minute dive. Many smaller companies in Cozumel let you dive your own tank/computer- my dives were almost all about an hour (and I was in the low middle range of dive time- since I was a rank beginner), and on Columbia Shallows I got 80 minutes- one of the women on our boat had a 2 hour dive, and came up because she got cold! There are lots of small valet ops in cozumel if you want more personalized service- will DP take care of all your gear for you, for instance? Will they change your tanks while you relax with fresh baked goods on your SI? If you are staying at a hotel with a dock, most can pick you up right there. The hotel I stayed at a lot of people dove with DP and their boats were very crowded, but it looks like they have some trips on smaller boats. To me, a smaller number of divers is important, which is why I went with a smaller valet op.

Edited by skittl1321

I'm guessing with Dive Paradise it is a combo of cruisers and hotel guests are more apt to want to dive in the morning. (Hotel guests that way they can use the rest of their day doing something in town or at the resort, or spending time with non-cruisers.)

It may not matter to you- but ask DP their policies on dive time. I think they may be one of the companies where everyone comes up after a 45 minute dive. Many smaller companies in Cozumel let you dive your own tank/computer- my dives were almost all about an hour (and I was in the low middle range of dive time- since I was a rank beginner), and on Columbia Shallows I got 80 minutes- one of the women on our boat had a 2 hour dive, and came up because she got cold! There are lots of small valet ops in cozumel if you want more personalized service- will DP take care of all your gear for you, for instance? Will they change your tanks while you relax with fresh baked goods on your SI? If you are staying at a hotel with a dock, most can pick you up right there. The hotel I stayed at a lot of people dove with DP and their boats were very crowded, but it looks like they have some trips on smaller boats. To me, a smaller number of divers is important, which is why I went with a smaller valet op.

OK, thanks Skittl! I appreciate the info. I'll check this out.

Also, check out Cha Cha Cha dive shop. They always asked us if we had a preference on the dive site. I don't think their was ever more than 5 divers on one boat. We have logged many 2 tank dives with this op over a five year period. Google/Contact Edmundo Torres, he owns Cha Cha Cha. Have a fun trip!

Also, check out Cha Cha Cha dive shop. They always asked us if we had a preference on the dive site. I don't think their was ever more than 5 divers on one boat. We have logged many 2 tank dives with this op over a five year period. Google/Contact Edmundo Torres, he owns Cha Cha Cha. Have a fun trip!

Thank you snakebitten, I'll check them out as well.