Dining Room Dress Code on X is it new?

The $2 is for the waiter's gratuity and I think perfectly reasonable. Other lines (Crystal, etc) do the same.

Celebrity has a reputation of being the most elegant and formal of all the mass market lines. Their fans (me included) consider this a big plus. As a TA, I recommend this line to my clients who are looking for a more formal experience. There are plenty of options for the cruiser who prefers a more casual experience. I find it refreshing that there is still a line that does offer a formal experience.

If their dress "requirement" is not to your liking, and you are aware of this up front, why would you choose to cruise with Celebrity? There are lots of us that like this of X aspect very much. And since their ships are rated very highly and very popular, IMHO the biggest risk that have of jeopardizing revenue is to change what differentiates them from the masses. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Again, there is something for everyone.

(beachchick here)

First, I don't really agree about X being known as the most elegant and formal of the mass market lines. It's certainly more formal in many ways than RCI, but we have friends who usually sail Princess who say that it can be quite formal. Cunard is becoming a mass market line and is certainly formal. HAL is known for being more sedate and formal. Anyway, I simply don't agree with this. (And no, I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion; I'm saying mine is different; don't worry about trying to change my mind, you won't.)

I never said I had a problem with the X dress code. I asked how there could be casual dining options and such if everyone was supposed to be dressed formally (for formal night of course) everywhere throughout the ship. I think it's a reasonable question--like I said, it's not like they can teleport from their cabins to the casual dining venues. How then are they expected to use this option? And with casual dining an option are they then expected to go back to their cabins and change into formal attire to say go to the pool or the spa?

If X wants everyone dressed formally throughout the ship then they should close the casual dining venues, close the pools and spa and any other "casual" activity, and police all pax attire all over the ship for formal night (or what have you).

I think there is a world of difference between dressing formally for dinner and then changing into nice, but somewhat less formal attire (especially if engaging in activities where formal attire is inappropriate) and dressing "down" into shorts or jeans and an old tank top.

This is, as always, just my opinion.

beachchick

Unless you have sailed one of Celebrity's beautiful ships and enjoyed the ambiance of formal night with everyone dressed in formal attire, I guess you just can't imagine how that many people could WANT to dress formally and feel so fortunate to be a part of something so awesome.

Guess that's why there are other lines to choose from that do not expect folks to follow a formal dress code.

Hi Char!:) Nice to see you over on this board!

Unless you have sailed one of Celebrity's beautiful ships and enjoyed the ambiance of formal night with everyone dressed in formal attire, I guess you just can't imagine how that many people could WANT to dress formally and feel so fortunate to be a part of something so awesome.

Guess that's why there are other lines to choose from that do not expect folks to follow a formal dress code.

Hey Liz :D

I'm here getting lots of good info in preparation for our Voyager TA next May :)

I agree, the formal experience is part of the overall Celebrity ambiance.

PS...that being said...we've got a Mariner cruise comming up:D ...but, we're going on that one for the all the fun stuff...rock climbing, skating, Johnny Rockets...tux and gown going too, but, booked this one for the atmosphere of RCCL...booked the next one, Celebrity's Constellation, for that atmosphere. Glad there is so many to choose from.:)

Also, no one ever says "that's a no, no" to someone NOT choosing to go formal on Celebrity..other than the main dinning room probably;) ...there just isn't that many who choose to do informal on formal night. :)

I recently cruised Celebrity and loved it, we had a great time in Alaska. When I decided which cruise to take I carefully looked at itineries, cruise length, departure ports, dates, and how people liked the cruise line or ship overall. It never occurred to me to look the the ship's dress code. I never even thought about it. I knew there would be formal nights, but I wasn't prepared for the throughout the ship, throughout the evening thing. Well we got by. The first night was casual, I had on a simple dress, my husband a blazer. We were tired from travelling, unpacking, exploring and the muster drill ;). Our tablemates didn't show up, the wait staff was kind of cold. We just didn't love it. It was neither a romantic dinner for 2, nor an entertaining party of 6. Anyway, due partly to this, partly to timing (of our hunger) we didn't go back to the dining room, but had a wonderful cruise and would cruise Celebrity again, maybe not to Alaska due to the adventure/formal contrast. I can't shift gears like that and in Alaska especially, the ports were the thing for me. I should have known when I was packing and stuffed my heels into my husbands boots to save space!

But the being "stuck" in the buffet posts reminded me of something that happened along those lines. It was formal night and we actually had reservations in the specialty restaurant which we cancelled because we were too tired (we did it the next night though, it was wonderful). It had been a busy day at port. I don't remember exactly but (with "formal night" on my mind) I dropped my daughter off at the kid's club, went back to the stateroom and fell asleep. When I woke up I forgot they would keep the kids later that night so I thought I was late and ran into the elevator with crumpled jeans, sweatshirt, flip-flops and a rats nest for hair. Naturally, a stunning blonde 10 years younger, 30 pounds thinnner and 6 inches taller than me, dressed to the nines was alone at the elevator waiting. I was horrified! I apologized and said I forgot it was formal night. Something about the way she smiled and waved her hand at me and said don't worry about it and then asked how my day at port, was made me feel so much better. Now that's class.

So many cruise lines to choose from so little time! We all can choose the line that fits our "needs". If you do not like formal nights then choose the cruise that does not require you to do so. We just came back from the Constellation and it was so nice to see everyone dressed for formal nights. There is a difference between all the cruise lines, not just in attire. Our first was on Song of America in 1989 and EVERYONE got dressed on formal nights. Our last cruise was on Celebrity and EVERYONE got dressed on formal nights. We were on the Voyager to Canada last July and MOST people did dress formal for dinner. But, it is your choice to go on these cruise lines if you know this, or choose alternative dining. We happen to like formal nights and look forward to it. Even on those days that you have had too much sun and it kills you to put on a starchy shirt and tie! Just remember to love what you do and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!

(beachchick here)

If this was for me, let me repeat: I never said that I don't think formal night is a lovely thing. I never said I have a problem with it on any ship that has it. I asked (twice) how X can offer casual dining options and still expect all pax to be dressed formally all night throughout the entire ship. I asked how pax are expected to dress if they choose to go to the pool or spa or other casual activity. No one has actually answered my questions. I keep getting the same response that has nothing to do with what I asked: "If you don't like the formal night, cruise another line." What exactly does this have to do with my legitimate questions regarding Celebrity's stated dress code and the fact that they also offer casual dining options and casual after dinner activities?

Please, someone answer my actual questions instead of telling me that you have somehow magically divined that I don't know a thing about formal night or that I don't respect it or like it or that I've never "experienced" it. (We've got several pix of us at formal nights that prove otherwise.) And don't presume that I've never attended formal events in other venues either. DH and I own several formal outfits for a reason: We wear them.

beachchick

dizliz: If your response wasn't directed at me, just consider my reply a general one directed at whomever.

i have cruised on HAL (once) X (twice) & will be doing my1st RCL cruise this December. it seemed to me that HAL was the most strict about the dress codes. On X, while the majority of pax were dressed according to the dresscode, there were people (in the dinning room) wearing less than formal wear on formal nights. They deffinatetly do NOT inforce the "throughout the ship" part, much as some people would like to say they do. I'm not saying everyone goes back to their cabin & changes, you will probably find the vast majority keep to the dresscode & stay in the formal attire, just because it is fun to play dressup

This is what the Celebrity Today (the daily newsletter) has to say (this is on the Infinity):

Casual Dining Boulevard Deck 10

The dress code is casual every day. Although in all other areas the dress code of the evening applies. We kindly ask for your cooperation and consideration for your fellow guests when visiting the public rooms on the Entertainment and Promenade Decks.

*Alternative Casual Dining is available between 6:00pm - 10:00pm in the Oceanview Cafe, Deck 10 Aft, by reservation only. Please call ext. 4735 from 8:30am-2:30pm and at the Guest Relations Desk from 2:30pm-5:00pm. Suggested gratuity is $2.00 per person.

It seems to me that the passenger decks and deck 10 where the pool and spa are located are fine for casual dress.

Also, no one ever says "that's a no, no" to someone NOT choosing to go formal on Celebrity..other than the main dinning room probably;) ...there just isn't that many who choose to do informal on formal night. :)

Beachchick...I'm sorry, I tried to answer your question. X asks that the code be followed thruout the ship, but, no one is rude to anyone who decides it's just not for them that night. I just find it amazing that the majority of the pax do dress up. It's just cool. But, no, no one will ask you to leave the theatre or not be on one of "public floors" if you are not "formally" dressed. Hope this helps.:)

(beachchick here)

First, I don't really agree about X being known as the most elegant and formal of the mass market lines. It's certainly more formal in many ways than RCI, but we have friends who usually sail Princess who say that it can be quite formal. Cunard is becoming a mass market line and is certainly formal. HAL is known for being more sedate and formal. Anyway, I simply don't agree with this. (And no, I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion; I'm saying mine is different; don't worry about trying to change my mind, you won't.)

Changing your mind is of no importance to me. Opinions are what these boards are all about.

Cunard has a long way to go to become a presence in the North American market. They are not considered mass market by the industry. They do not have the number of ships to classify them as such. Number of berths and number of ships based in NA is a big factor in the term "mass market".

I am a TA, own my agency and have been in the biz for a long time. I attend CLIA and other industry trainings regularly and will soon complete my requirements for my Masters certification. While that does not make me special, I can comment on the perception in the market regarding the various cruise lines with perhaps a bit more experience than some, as least as it relates to the general consensus amongst professional agents.

HAL is considered a formal line. It has long been and still is generally considered a line that caters to an older demographic.

Most agents and industry professionals will agree that Celebrity is considered to be a step above the rest in that classification known as "mass market".

Archived