2 year old on Celebrity Summit (or other M-class)

AlluraUni

We're going to be taking one of the August cruises to the Bermuda on Celebrity Summit. It's a family vacation and my parents insisted on Celebrity, despite my protests that it's going to be hard to entertain a toddler on that ship (vs Carnival, which was my vote). While we're in Bermuda it'll be easy, but I'm looking for ideas for sea days.

There's no spray fountains on Summit, right? I know the pool is off limits unless he's potty trained by then (unlikely). I don't think we're going to bother with a blow up pool because we're not big pool/water folks usually. We'll do at least one trip to the beach on Bermuda.

Is there a toy exchange program? Or anything at all for the under-3 set? I assume he can't go in the kid program because they're usually strictly age-based. He's in a daycare class with all the rest of the 3 yo, so he's ok with it, but I don't expect the staff to change policy.

Are there children's books in the library?

Any good suggestions for how to handle some kind of bath in the shower? Gonna need to wash the sunscreen off. He's slowly getting used to a shower, but he kinda hates it. Are they handheld heads or fixed?

What kind of lock can ou use to keep a toddler from opening the door?

Has anyone had a toddler use the pull down upper bunk? Our room should have one according to the map, and I'd prefer that over the sofa bed, since it takes up less space, but I dunno if he'd be safe up there? Another option is we have a portable cot that folds up pretty small, but I don't know if it's comfortable enough for a full night. I don't want to do a porta crib even though he sleeps in a crib at home still.

Anything else for tips on what to do with a toddler? What kind of daytime activities are there on this ship? WOuld I be able to find an empty lounge he can run in?

First of all I think you will love the Summit. On the day of embarkation I recommend you go to the front desk and arrange for in cabin sitting. We used it two times on the Bermuda sailing and it was well worth it. The sitting is after 8PM but it will free you up for some grown up entertainment.

Also- on the day of embarkation the buffet is really crowded and if you want to relax a bit after a day of travel- go to Bistro on Five ($7 per person) for crepes, soups and desserts or the Mast Grill for burgers (free). The buffet will be super crowded and with a little one- it's easier to do a sit down lunch. They love kids on Celebrity and the crew will bend over backward for them.

One thing that worked for us was having my parents watch the baby while we went to dinner and then my parents went to the later dinner. My parents were very helpful about pitching in.

Definitely try Qsine. If your son can sit for two hours take him because it is whimsical and fun. Do the earliest seating if you take him- so that he isn't fussy or get a sitter for that night and go with your parents. It's great.

In Bermuda, I highly recommend taking the ferry over to Hamilton- your two year old will like this experience and then taxi to the zoo/ aquarium. This was a hit with me an my son. Really nice place that the whole family will enjoy. You can also visit the dolphins at the end of the pier- Dolphin Quest. It's $ 10 per person to go in but I think your two year old will enjoy seeing them at play.

As for the bunk- yours truly ended up sleeping in the top bunk because I was nervous about my son waking up and being disoriented up there and possibly falling trying to get down.

Don't worry about the doors- they have deadbolts on them and my son never attempted escaping. Just like at home- if your child needs supervision while you are showering or in the bathroom- just make sure another adult is in the cabin.

If you want to do a beach day- I'd taxi to Horseshoe Bay. It will be about a $30 cab ride each way but will give you more flexibility than the bus- a trunk in the cab for all your beach stuff will be easier than the bus.

My toddler wasn't interested in the pools at all. He was all about exploring the ship. It was like a giant playground. They do not have books for kids in the library (and not much selection period) but you can borrow things from the youth program.

Things that I brought with me were- more diapers than I needed. Don't want to be trying to find your brand in a foreign port. Bring bandaids- and basically any medication your child may need. I doubt a two year old will get seasick but you might want to buy the sea bands for the wrists just in case. Make sure he has comfortable walking shoes that are broken in. Don't bring dress shoes for this age- unless they fit and are non-skid.

Be so careful on the steps. Proper footwear for you is a must, since you will be holding the little one's hands or in hot pursuit. Find comfortable evening shoes that are good for sprinting when necessary.

Don't bring too many clothes. By day you'll be in swimwear and coverups and at night you don't need "formal"- just throw in a pair of black pants and a couple glittery tops. That will suffice.

I've sailed Summit and there will be tons of open space by day in the comfort of the air conditioning because EVERYONE will be by the pool. You won't be missing out. It's an absolute zoo by the pool and you won't find a seat anyway. This is the one thing I had to learn to live with on my August 2012 Bermuda cruise. One of the best lounges is the Revelations lounge on Deck 11 (bow). Deck 3, 4 and 5 are fun areas for your child to explore and you can go out on the open deck on deck 5. This is a good place for your child to run around- just be mindful of the other passengers.

I think you will end up having a really great time. Family vacations are what memories are made of.

Thank you so much! I've seen some of the really nasty posts directed at folks that bring kids, and I've been particularly nervous about Celebrity, specifically, since it tends to be a little older crowd, it seems. My mother swears he's a good kid, and I think the fact that we're big on naps and early bedtimes means he's not screechy. :) Everyone thinks kids = buffet, but ugh, wrangling a child at a buffet is too much work!

We've been to Bermuda before, so our tentative plan for the 3 days is the zoo/aquarium, a beach day (I'm thinking Shelly beach, actually, since it aapparently has a playground and is pretty shallow? Horseshoe is so pretty, though), and St George's because we've never really explored there. And there's a cross stitch shop there, which is my big hobby.

I was thinking the same thing for the diapers. And that in general we need to streamline clothes because we have to bring so many other random extras. I sorta gave up on heels when I was pregnant, so there's that. :)

Does Summit have beach toys we can borrow?

Lots of good advice. We'll have to do Qsine without our son unless he's able to sit still for longer by then. Right now he's in the "ants in the pants" stage. But that's the sort of thing my mother & I might do alone because my husband and father are meat & potatoes kind of people.

I didn't know the babysitting was available on Summit, so that would be really nice to get some alone time.

I don't know if there are beach toys that you can borrow. I know I brought an inflatable life vest for the beach and a bucket and shovel. Your son may enjoy collecting sea shells- mine did at that age.

Your "meat and potatoes" men will like Qsine. There are lots of starchy foods to offer and the best filet mignon but your son might not get much bang for the buck (I believe it is $40 per person but they always offer sales on the Qsine- so might end up getting it for $30 each). The portions at Qsine are huge- it's not the type of tapas you are used to.

The summer Bermuda cruises have LOTS of kids and extended families. You will be in the majority and not feel at all ridiculed or snubbed. It's a big crowd onboard and much nightlife and fun. You'll have a great time. Hopefully your little one is potty trained but even when they are you worry about "accidents" in the pool. But at least you have the beach.

My kids took naps with me until they were four. I think everyone needs a nap on hot days. We called it rest time and sometimes they slept and sometimes they didn't. But either way- Mom slept for 1.5 hours.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

You might also want to try flipping the couch backwards and laying a sheet on top to make a small bed for your son. My son could sleep in a pack n play on trips even at 3, so that might also be another option if you don't want him sleeping on a top bunk.

I just noticed on the Celebrity website the following:

Toddler Time for children under age 3

Toddler time allows parents and toddlers to interact with other children their age. and toys suitable for this age group. In accordance with USPH standards, each ship offers lavatory-based changing tables and baby wipes. Parents/guardians must accompany their child during Toddler Time and toddlers do not need to be potty trained. Available during select times each day.

You might also want to try flipping the couch backwards and laying a sheet on top to make a small bed for your son. My son could sleep in a pack n play on trips even at 3, so that might also be another option if you don't want him sleeping on a top bunk.

THAT is an awesome idea, actually! Gives him the crib he's used to, but leaves us with more floor room if we stay up after him. I know I nap on vacation, but usually not as long as he'll nap if we let him. Great idea!

We could do the pack & play, or we have a fold up cot we were thinking of bringing (it's toddler sized). But less stuff is always nice. I overpack enough as it is (I'm a bring-my-own-pillow kinda gal).