Thank you Cruise Critic members!!!

Astronomer

I am siting here stunned, and reflective on what I have learned and done being a member of Curisecritic .com

My first cruise is not until late June of next year.

I have a packing list of odd items you dont normally take on vacations.

I know what excursions are great and which to stay away from

I know how to do the embarkation thing with less fuss

I know more of what to expect and hope to meat some great people

And this morning I just got a reply from our PVP saying she will take $610 off the price of our curise if I send her a copy of my DD214 and photo ID. I would never have thought to ask about a special military discount appling to vetrans unless I had read a thread in this froum.

I dont know how to thank you folks enough!!!!

Everyone has helped!

Even the odd comments. The fact that the board is entertaining and filled with people that are fun to talk to had me continuing to read threads.

I am still shocked at the 20% discount on the cruise. I booked a specific balcony room ( nothing but other state rooms for 2 decks above and below, On the Pride stateroom# 6263 )

We had to curise during peak season due to my wifes schedule and so the cruise was quite a bit more expensive for us.

20% off on the cruise was huge!

I would never have asked for or got that if I had not been here.

Everyone has helped!

Even the odd comments. The fact that the board is entertaining and filled with people that are fun to talk to had me continuing to read threads.

I am still shocked at the 20% discount on the cruise. I booked a specific balcony room ( nothing but other state rooms for 2 decks above and below, On the Pride stateroom# 6263 )

We had to curise during peak season due to my wifes schedule and so the cruise was quite a bit more expensive for us.

20% off on the cruise was huge!

I would never have asked for or got that if I had not been here.

Congratulations on the discount. That is awsome. By the way, thank you for your service to our country.

And this morning I just got a reply from our PVP saying she will take $610 off the price of our curise if I send her a copy of my DD214 and photo ID. I would never have thought to ask about a special military discount appling to vetrans unless I had read a thread in this froum.

QUOTE]

Astronomer, does this apply to retired veterans or all veterans? I am a veteran. I had heard of military discount, but thought it was for active duty and retired.

If it applied to me, it shoud apply to you. I am not a retired veteran, I just did a tour of duty ( 4 years ) when I was younger and have a DD214 honorable discharge paper.

That and an ID was all I needed.

Talk to your TA or PVP

I dont know the details, but for my cruise that I have booked some 10 months away now, it did apply.

It was a HUGE break

Yep, my DD214 is almost 30 years old! I did 4 years in the US Coast Guard.

Semper Paratus!!!!

Again I dont know the details, if it is limited to a certain number of people on a ship, or if it is availaibe the same on all crusies. But for me it was some 20% off my entire booking.

I was really surprised, and pleased as you can imagine.

I would not have even asked until a saw a lady post here saying that she was the widdow of a vetran ( not active military ) and it applied to her as well.

Light bulb went off, made a call and saved a bunch of money.

I would not have even known to ask if I had not read that here.

thanks again folks. :)

It works. We had booked what we thought was a fantastic rate for Liberty Europe in May 2006 - past cruiser and on-line sale discounts. Read these posts, called and our "fantastic" rate was reduced by almost $600. Worth every minute I've spent on Cruise Critic - not to mention all the other great tips I've gotten.:)

Astronomer, these boards are great and you gather so much useful information. I know I have. I also love to read reviews from those who have cruised.

Just to let you know, our family group of 8 will be on the same sailing as you. We have been booked since March (yes, we are early planners!) and have cabins 7223, 7221, 7219 & 7298. We were not eligible for military discounts, but still received a fair cruise rate.

We will be doing our pre-cruise stay of 5 days in the LA area and already have our hotel room booked. Did I mention we plan far in advance? :)

Happy Planning!

Fantastic, my wife and I are just getting away for ourselves, I wanted to plan an adventure and this was something we had never done. This will be our first, and we are really excited about it.

Looking forward to saying hello :D

Our sailing date is June 25th and we will be in stateroom 6263 Empress deck.

I was going to post on the roll call boards sometime in a few months, I thought I would wait until it was about 5 months before the cruise to post that.

We used the military discount on our Inspiration cruise this past May, (I'm retired Army). Also, for other retired military, think about staying on a military post before or after your cruise. We stayed at Ft. McDill, in Tampa, 12 miles from the cruise terminal. We had a HUGE room, 2 queen size beds, sitting area, TV/VCR/DVD, bath, kitchenette, with a stocked refrig, iron and ironing board. We could walk out the door and walk to the beach, (about 500 yards). All this for only $28.75/night (Plus the 22 years of service). Wife was shocked, couldn't beleive how nice it was.

I'm sure that all posts won't be the same, but it is worth checking it out.

Matt, US Army, SFC, Retired

Archived