Weather in February and March

We have gone in March several times, weather is fine, possibly a little cool from your port of departure depending where that is...We have done January as well and great weather once we got a little south of Galveston..

My wife and I have done a number of Jan/Feb cruises to the Caribbean. Only time we had "cooler" weather was when it was cloudy until we got south of Cuba. Had rain in Key West and temps in the 60s. Other than that, you will have upper 70s and 80s during the days.

I take a cruise the same week every year, the last week of February and I have yet to be disappointed. Granted I sweat at 75, but Cozumel, Freeport, Nassau and Key West all perfect temp in my opinion for any time of year. We snorkeled at each of those locations also and the water was fine.

The answer to this is really going to depend on where you're coming from and what you're used to. I've cruised in late December and mid-February and both times were reassured the weather was normally wonderful - and I'm sure it was for those leaving 10' of snow - but for us from the desert, it was actually warmer at home (and I sure wasn't hanging by the pool at home!).

No location on the OP's post but noticed some of the replies were from cold weather states so thought I'd toss in my .02 ~ love my friends in cold weather states but will never ask their opinion on vacation weather again!

We have sailed from NOLA in late January, (NOLA was about 50 degrees, on the sea day, north wind blowing), and the weather was cool on sea days, but nice and warm once we hit the Caribbean, (80's).

We sailed from Jacksonville, FL in late March to Key West and Nassau, and it barely climbed above 70 degrees during the day for the whole cruise. Again, a cool front blew through just as we left.

We've sailed out of Miami, Jax and Ft. Lauderdale in February and March and we've had good weather for the most part. It was a little cool sailing out of Jacksonville in February and Key West was high 70s and the Bahamas low 70s. Couldn't believe we were wearing jeans and zip up sweatshirts. Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and were very warm those months.

What you may want to do is a few days before you cruise, check the weather at the various ports. You will have a much better idea of what you need to pack based on the forecast. Weather can be fickle at times so it is best to get the latest information and pack accordingly.

Steve

The problem in February and March is not so much the temperature in the ports of call. The problem is the fog in Galveston that time of year. I have cruised out of Galveston three times in those months. One was destroyed. One disembarked 5 hours late and one went on schedule. Candidly, it is a crap shoot for fog during those months out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The problem in February and March is not so much the temperature in the ports of call. The problem is the fog in Galveston that time of year. I have cruised out of Galveston three times in those months. One was destroyed. One disembarked 5 hours late and one went on schedule. Candidly, it is a crap shoot for fog during those months out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, this is good to know as we are sailing Freedom on 2/2/2015, repo cruise, from Ft. Lauderdale and ending in Galveston.

Thank you everyone for your replies. We are from RI. We usually cruise in April or summer time. This year we are thinking February or March. Just wanted to see how the weather is down in the Caribbean at that time. Thinking of doing a cruise that goes to grand cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas. That area. I assume the weather for the most part is always warm down there. Anything better then our New England winters, lol

Was hot for us....80's & 90's from FLL to Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios on our Feb 2nd 2014 cruise. Rained once in Jamaica in the AM for roughly 15min. Was sweating.

Disclaimer: we are from Ohio, had a record breaking Winter, and it snowed 4' total the week we were gone :D

Monthly average highs and lows (air temps) for many island locations are available on this website.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Caribbean/average-temperature-rainfall-february.php

Averages, being just that, do not, of course, preclude unseasonably chilly weather, such as we had on our mid-March Western Caribbean cruise this year. High 60's, low 70's, rainy, windy for most days of our cruise. The water temps were cool (to me) and I was glad I had a shorty wetsuit for snorkeling. My husband thought the water temps were fine.

Edited by SeagoingMom