Castaway Cay 5k

yensid76

They stopped giving medals for a brief period of time, but have been giving them for the past month or so. They aren't medals of any real value, but the plastic Mickey head medals... similar to the weights used to hold down a helium balloon. They are also not specific to the 5k - it's the same medal that they give out for winning games on the ship.

I did the Castaway Cay 5K on my Fantasy cruise a week and a half ago, and I got the medal. It's a plastic Mickey head with a winner ribbon.

Good luck if you decide to do it! It was overcast the day we did it, but still quite hot and humid. Make sure you stay hydrated!

Do they have the 5K on every cruise that goes there or just select ones?

As far as I know, they do it every trip to Castaway. It is in the navigator. You go down that morning and register. :cool:

p.s. might be weather pending???

p.s. might be weather pending???

I know it is a little weather dependent based on the time you dock. If you dock at the normal time, you will have a 5k. When we had windy weather and were delayed by about an hour, they still had the 5k. When we had bad mooring weather and docked at 1 pm, they canceled the 5k.

So my guess is they have it scheduled every day, but it is possible that weather delays your arrive and you still get to the island, but too late for the 5k.

I don't know if it is scheduled both days on a double dip cruise.

I did the 5K back in 2011. You didn't even sign up, just met off the ship. They showed you the route and sent you on your way. No medal, no t-shirt to buy, no anything. It was still super fun and hot! I heard word that we would get a water bottle delivered to our room and they took down our stateroom numbers, but nothing ever came. Worth doing.