Our Day in Costa Maya (Majahaul)

grizzy

Here is a little review of our day in Costa Maya. We were on the 5/9 sailing of the Explorer of the Seas.

We got off the boat around 10:00 and grabbed a taxi after walking through the pier area. The taxi dropped us off at the northern end of Majahaul where we walked for about 10/15 min to this cool bar called Pez Quadro. We had a few beers there and took a swim. We hung out for a couple of hours and then headed back north along beach in search of a new spot. After walking like 5 min. westopped here for some more beers and some food (which was good). About 20 feet away this was going on so we decided to partake as we didn't want to seem rude. You can't beat $20 for 30 min! A few hours later we caught up with some of our friends across the street at this place where they persuaded us to have some more beer. We decided to continue our plan of not being rude as it had been working well so far.

From there we walked back across the street and took another swim where me and my brother journeyed all the way out to the reef for some impromptu snorkelling.

After that we headed back to the ship all vowing never to return to this God-awful place they call Majahaul!

Don't hesitate with any questions.

Chris

Pics of my 2004 Explorer cruise----> http://community.webshots.com/user/grizzyfla

Yvette,

Thank you for the compliment...no wife or gf to speak of icon_wink.gif .

We were contempt with just making it a lazy beach day. Some in our group took a taxi to the ruins while the rest went on some off road trek that they weren't too thrilled with. I'm happy bumming around the beach so if your looking to acomplish that then this is the spot. Great beach bars and beautiful waters.

Thanks again,

Chris

Pics of my 2004 Explorer cruise----> http://community.webshots.com/user/grizzyfla

Chris, We were on the Explorer the same time as you. What a great cruise! Your pictures are awesome. We too decided on having a lazy beach day in Costa Maya after doing the cave tubing the day before in Belize. We booked the Uvero Beach Break through the ship. Although it was very nice there, I wish we would of just did Majahaul on our own. Unless you take advantage of the all inclusive drinks, it's really not worth it, because Majahaul seems just as nice or nicer. My DH and son can do some drinking, but they weren't crazy about the local beer and that is all they had at Uvero. I had a few pina coladas and a strawberry daquiri. Pina Coladas were good, but daquiri was very strong. Other son and his girlfriend had some kind of a drink in a coconut. I have a lot of photos too, but havn't had time to get them scanned yet. I've really enjoyed looking at yours and reading your reviews.

belle42118,

I would love to see your pics if you get them online. What a perfect cruise with perfect weather (other than early on in Grand Cayman). The local beers (Belikin in Belize & something with an M in Costa Maya) were a little different but good overall. Didn't have any mixed drinks...I'm always a little hessitant of drinking things with ice in these countries.

I WANT TO GO BACK!

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by belle42118:

We booked the Uvero Beach Break through the ship. Although it was very nice there, I wish we would of just did Majahaul on our own. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See that's what I wanted to hear ! I've been flip-flopping on excursions and trying to decide if some are worth it. Seems like doing your own outing is cheaper and much more adventurous unless you want to do something specific like the dune buggies.

Thanks !

- Yvette

• 2 weeks later...

We did the "Uni-Mog" in April.

This was the most enjoyable excursion we've ever been on. Beautiful scenery, lot's o' Iguanas, monkeys, termite nests, etc. The beach that we stopped at for lunch was spectacular. I didn't think my wife would ever quit smiling. Had a great time. We weren't hungry, so we didn't eat the provided lunch, but others said it was great. Had a couple of beers though...

"Where I belong"

Grand Princess, 4/2004

Golden Princess, 4/2002

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 2 weeks later...

grizzy

Did just tell the taxi driver that you just wanted to go into the village of Majahaul or did you specifically say the northern part.

How was the nachos, salsa and guacamole and how much? Enjoyed the photos, thanks for sharing

Chris, your pictures/links are awesome! We'll be stopping in Mahahual in December, and will DEFINITELY spend the day in Mahahual. We are both Spanish speakers, and have always loved Mexico -- this will be a new place! Thanks for great pictures & info!

skylark,

All we said is that we wanted to go to Majahaul and we were loaded into a cargo van and taken to that spot. I'm sure you could arrange to be dropped off somewhere specific if need be. The chips, salsa, and guac were awesome!

pnorth,

Have you tried just going to community.webshots.com? From there just put in grizzyfla in the "Find a Member" section and that will bring up my albums. It would take a lot of time and space to attach all of my pics. Let me know if that works - if not maybe I could zip them to you.

lacruiser,

You are gonna love Majahaul!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

:)....sounds like my kinda day......im really hopin to find some snorkeling on my own.....did you guys find much coral and fish when u went out to the reef?....and could you SEE the reef from the shoreline?....im assuming you could, and thats what led you out there:)...thanks for the review

Sorry guys...I haven't checked this thread in a while. Be sure to read my entire review (click below) if you want more info and pics of our cruise.

Maple Hts,

Don't recall the name of it. Majahaul isn't that big so it shouldn't be that hard to find. I would say it was at the midpoint of town.

Crunch Captain,

Love your cereal just hate what it does to the roof of my mouth. Anyway, the best place for swimming is just about anywhere along the beach. I really loved THIS AREA which is where we also got the massage.

robbyxoxo,

There were some decent fish (tangs, damsels, etc.) and coral heads where my brother and I swam out to. I deffinitly wouldn't make it my only snorkel stop on the cruise as it doesn't compare to what we saw in Belize or the Cayman. You can see the reef from the shore but it is a way out. We were the only ones that went all the way out there.

pnorth,

As I said above I wouldn't use this port for my snorkelling fix. It was really just a spur of the moment thing. Heck, the first time we swam out we didn't even take our gear.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Chris

Archived