Magic vs. Fantasy

TwoFlippinKids

I've seen and read a few threads on this exact same question but I'm still unsure of which way to go. We've only been on one Disney cruise so far (Fantasy-Feb 2014). We are currently booked for the Eastern Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy again (November 2014-same itinerary except going to San Juan this time instead of St. Maarten) but I'm really interested in the Western Caribbean on the Disney Magic for it's itinerary of Cayman/Key West/Cozumel/Castaway. My concern is, I have a DD12 and DS14 and I'm nervous that the Magic will not have as many things for them to do. Some reviews that I've read say that the Magic is for younger kids.

Also wondering if the dining rooms on the Magic are as "magical" as the Fantasy.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Just off the Magic last 2 days ago. No question, Fantasy has more "high tech" stuff with the on-demand TV viewing and the midship detective agency (OK, this is not really a teen thing). Fantasy has "Chill Spa" for teens, Magic allows teens in the Salon area for mani-pedi and sometimes allows "mom and me" bookings in regular spa. These are typically port days when spa is not full. Fantasy has teen pool off of Vibe, but I've been told that the pool is often closed. Teens on Magic have to use family area pools/hot tubs. Fantasy has raft ride AquaDuck, Magic has body ride AquaDunk.

While the teen spaces are different, the programming is much the same. We had no issues with the computer/internet on the ship this time. Magic has internet cafe with computers available, Fantasy you can borrow computer from Guest Services. Both places, you can use your own device.

I certainly wouldn't say Magic is for "little kids." I think it is more a matter of the CMs in the age group and the other kids determining whether your kids like the programming.

12 year old is in Edge, which is high tech on both ships. 14 can choose Vibe or Edge--better space on Fantasy, but same programming on both.

We had the same dilemma and ended up booking the Magic after going on the Fantasy last year. Fantasy was fantastic, but felt really crowded to us at times and Castaway felt like a zoo compared to other private islands we had been to. Decided to try the Magic because of having less passengers and also just wanting to experience a different ship.

I've been on all 4 DCL ships and prefer the "classic" ships. I think you really feel the extra people on the Fantasy and Dream. I just got off the EBTA on the Magic and though there were not as many kids as usual, the teens we saw were having a blast. My DS is 8 and enjoyed the revamped Oceanear's Lab.

We have been on both. I like magic because of the history and the smaller size. There is z new slide...can't remember name...that is about 6 seconds long where you go a straight drop down. Not that much fun. And while the adult areas are spruced up there really isn't that much different

The fantasy is fantastic. Love love the aqua duck. The adult pool area is great. While it is bigger than magic after the first day we really didn't notice. The dining rooms are beautiful. And the adult bars are so cool!

X

We are going on the magic in Juky from Venice and I'm looking forward to it. But we gave decided to go on the fantasy again in 2015. Not for the ports but to just use it as a resort. We won't ever get off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums