Disembarkation question on Mariner/Port Orlando

Shappy

I just booked Mariner for August 28 sailing. Since I was doing my own air I called RC and asked them for the earliest time I should book my return flight. RC told me 11 a.m so then I booked a flight for 11:40 at Orlando Intl. Then I thought, OMG, that was sort of dumb (I've been on lots of cruises and know how unpredictable disembarkation is and on Princess I have elite status so it's not an issue).

Question --I can't use their transfers because they don't guarantee to get you to the airport before a noon flight. Does anybody have any idea if we should be able to make this flight? Hubby wants to rent a car to return to the airport, I think we should pre-book a transportation service to meet the ship. Any ideas? I could change to a later flight (3pm) (at $100 x 4) but DH Hates to wait and thinks it will be a piece of cake to make this flight. I don't. Any suggestions/strategies welcome and appreciated.

I would take a later flight. It will probably take you the better part of an hour to get from the cruise port to the airport, especially if you're goofing around with rental car pick ups and drop offs. It's a chance i wouldn't take. I've driven that stretch and with the cruise traffic (you could have a lot of ships in too, Disney, Carnival, and RCI all use Port Canaveral, I'm not sure what days though) so the airport may be busy as well. An 11:40 flight won't be a piece of cake. The 3:00 flight would be better, IMHO because you'll have less anxiety and less rushing around. With the transport system, you'd make it, if you got off the ship on time. You know how it is with customs clearances, etc... Where are you flying home to?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I'd change the flights too! That's really pushing it, but if you have to mess with renting and returning a car I just can't see how you'll make it in time.

It's a 45-60 drive from Port Canaveral to MCO under "normal" circumstances, but what if there's an accident and traffic is backed up?

What if there are Customs & Immigration delays?

What if there's a long line at the rental car company?

There are just too many "what if's" that when you really ARE in a hurry all seem to happen if you know what I mean. Life's too short, why stress yourself out?... Take the 3pm flight and you'll have plenty of time.

Well it's $100 each to change tickets--that's $400. I don't know why that RC agent told me 11:00 was ok. I know my DH, he thinks there won't be a problem. If we miss our flight we have to go stand-by for the 3 pm. I would never cut it that close going to the cruise and possibly missing it, but going home is no big deal if we are late. We are flying to So. California. Usually I'm much more on top of things but this was a quickly planned vacation, DH and son insisting that didn't want to go on another cruise, so they had me spinning my wheels for 3 days trying to plan to go to Rome, Hong Kong, Berlin and by the time they realized that wouldn't work on short notice I was pretty burned out trying to find flights/hotels etc for 4 people. Has anybody here ever used any of the private private limo companies? I also wonder if RC will give us priority with disembarkation, I haven't cruised with them that often.

Shappy

If you only have one piece of luggage each, you can carry it off and be one of the first off the ship. If not, just make sure that you get the color luggage tags that are called first. Our disembarkation went very smoothly in Port Canaveral.

Have a wonderful time you will love the Mariner......:cool: Jill

Since you mentioned it, I've got a question about carrying off your luggage. Is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to? Is there a piece limit? I'm just wondering why you would have to hand it over to them the night before. There are four of us, and we definately won't have more than four pieces of luggage. Does that mean we can hold onto it, and each carry off one ourselves?

we carried our own luggage of the Mariner a couple of months ago. They dont care how much you carry off, you just have to be able to handle it yourself, going down elevators and stairs. We were called at 7AM and off in just a few minutes. Very easy to do. IMO I would not waste my time renting a car, and having to pick it up, I would just get a shuttle service, it would be much quicker and easier. I dont know off hand any, but am sure the people on this board can recommend some.

Had 11:45 flight arrangements at Orlando in May after debarking Mariner. We were able to take the RCCI shuttle to the airport, and were at the airport before 10 AM. Also had friends who had the same arrangements in June, and had no trouble making their flight. That being said, we were off the ship by 7:30, but had to wait at least 1/2 hour for our luggage at the carousel. If you rent a car and walk off with your luggage, i think you would be off and in the rental car by 9 a.m. at the latest, so at the airport by 10 or so. Previous posters are correct - there are many things that can (and do) do wrong, i.e., accidents, etc., but I would take the chance. Budget rental cars are about 1 mile from the port, and I would get off the ship and jump in a cab and go to the rental office. Would save time over waiting for the Budget shuttle. Good luck. I think you'd be fine, but that's just MHO.

We had a 12:30 flight out of Orlando after after 7/10/05 Mariner cruise - had arranged for Art's Shuttle to take us to the airport - we were in the airport (and thru security) by 9:45 a.m. We were the third group off the ship between 8 and 8:30 - so maybe we were just lucky. Your may make the flight, but it is kind of chancy.

I think you can make an 11:40 flight with no problem, and would not change your flights. At least you know there ARE later flights on your airline should there be an unexpected delay. I've been off ships in Port Canaveral MANY times by 8:30 and am at the aiport by 9:30.

I would also book a town car company to take you back to the airport, quicker than dealing with a rental car. Just have them meet you at a specific time and you'll be set.

OH, I'm on that cruise too, come on over to the Meet & Mingle board and join us, we have a great group going. :)

Ella2

Thanks for the advice. Is there any particular town car company that you have dealt with? Did you make your arrangements before you left on the cruise? We've never left from this port before. I guess the good news is it will be Sunday and hopefully less traffic.

Most Sundays you can make transportation arrangements after you get off the ship, but keep in mind that you are disembarking Labor Day weekend, so rates may be higher than usual. Here's a link from the Canaveral Port Authority that shows companies who are licensed to pick up at Port Canaveral http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/groundtrans.htm Someone earlier mentioned long lines at the car rental counters. I used to work for Hertz in Cape Canaveral and can tell you that the lines don't get long until around 9:30 or 10. If you carry off your own luggage you should be long gone by then.

Archived