TSA question regarding cordless curling iron

whoshwhosh

I will be flying Tampa to Nairobi ,TPA/PHL/LHR/NBO, and want to bring my cordless curling iron in my carryon. It has a removable butane cartridge and am unsure if this can go in a carryon. I am thinking as long as I put the butane cartridge in the separate plastic bag with other liquids it should be OK. The Amazon website where I purchased it suggests leaving the cartridge attached and TSA will allow it to go through.

Anyone have experience with this type of situation?

The short answer is no, the cartridge must go into checked luggage and installed on the curling iron. Only one cartridge is allowed, and additional spare cartridges are prohibited. Keep in mind this is TSA for flights within, to, or from the USA; foreign security may be different. TSA says there's a higher chance of your checked bags being opened for further inspection.

PS- A google search found the info in less that 30 seconds. To save you the 30 seconds, http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/10/flying-can-be-hair-curling-experience.html For in-depth info: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items Enter "butane curling iron" into the search box.

Edited by kenish

FYI, you piqued my curiosity. UK security is less restrictive; they allow the curling iron in cabin luggage, but still prohibit spare cartridges. This is only relevant for your LHR-NBO flight...the more restrictive TSA rules apply to the other flights.

Double-check butane cartridges in the UK or Kenya. They may be a different size, or not available at all. For example the thumb-sized CO2 cartridges are a different size in certain parts of the world, and 9V batteries are generally unavailable in Africa.

You cannot carry any pressurised gas cartridge or cylinder on most aircraft at all. Under changing air pressure, they can leak or explode. It was actually the cause of some major air disasters at some time in the past.

Check with the airline(s) involved. It is on most airlines' webpage unter "restricted items". It really depends on the airline, it is not the final decision of the TSA, but of the airline.

United Airlines bans all compressed gases on board, both as carry on or as check-in luggage.

US Airways: "Compressed gas cylinders are not permitted for travel on US Airways. They are considered a hazardous material and US Airways does not ship such materials. "

British Airways:" Hair curlers containing hydrocarbon gas, up to one (1) per passenger or crewmember,provided that the safety cover is securely fitted over the heating element. These hair curlers must not be used on board the aircraft at any time. Gas refills for such curlers are not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage."

Maybe you should consider leaving your curler at home. Kenish is right, you very possibly will not be able to purchase extra cartridges anyway. Most good hotels have a hairdryer. You could also just buy a simple throw-away iron once you get there. If you buy an electrical one before you leave, mae sure it is 240 V!

You cannot carry any pressurised gas cartridge or cylinder on most aircraft at all. Under changing air pressure, they can leak or explode.

Clarification on your comment, though I agree with your post. This is splitting hairs, but an important one: United, USAirways, etc. follow TSA regulations, and provide web links to the TSA site. O2 bottles for medical or diving purposes, CO2 cartridges for beverage and avalanche rescue devices, etc. are prohibited as you state. A single butane cartridge *is* allowed by TSA. I don't understand their logic, but it's on their website.

That said, TSA agents aren't known for their comprehensive and consistent application of their own regulations...so unless OP is willing to face confiscation of the curling iron or has the time to get in a p*ssing contest with TSA at a security checkpoint it's best to leave it at home

I am also very interested what will happen in LHR or in NBO. There is no TSA there, different countries, different rules.

I worked for airlines in Amsterdam who confiscated everything flamable under pressure, such as paint spray, oxygen bottles, camping gas, etc. The problem is that small gas cilinders of any sort are not built to withstand that amount of air pressure.