Opinion of Star to Alaska, 5-23 to 6-3.

fud2468

In a later post i'll hope to point out some shortcomings I think Star has in dealing with disabled and/or seniors. But for now, some positives:

We had last sailed on Star 2 years ago. This time it seemed that the crew were more upbeat and eager to please (not that they were at all hostile previously, just more reserved). Crew in the buffet were sorely tested doing double duty because of the noro problem but held up well.

On this cruise we had a captain who was easily understood when making announcements, in contrast to our previous 5 Princess cruises. I think this was critical, considering the large number of passengers for whom English was obviously a second language.

Musical shows in Princess theater were shorter than those we saw previously, but were rehearsed to perfection. On several nights this allowed for three performances instead of two, which made it easier to select a good time to attend.

The Charade group was fabulous, and we made sure to let them know. They are a combo of accordion, string bass, violin and piano; I don't recall one false note, a very "tight" group. We attended as many of their sessions as we could. it's too bad they didn't have a more suitable venue than the Piazza. The same goes for the Pop Choir who performed in the Piazza rather than on Deck 7 aft as in the past. Space for them was limited and left no room for dance moves.

Just one man's assessment..

36rascal.

In a later post i'll hope to point out some shortcomings I think Star has in dealing with disabled and/or seniors. But for now, some positives:

We had last sailed on Star 2 years ago. This time it seemed that the crew were more upbeat and eager to please (not that they were at all hostile previously, just more reserved). Crew in the buffet were sorely tested doing double duty because of the noro problem but held up well.

On this cruise we had a captain who was easily understood when making announcements, in contrast to our previous 5 Princess cruises. I think this was critical, considering the large number of passengers for whom English was obviously a second language.

Musical shows in Princess theater were shorter than those we saw previously, but were rehearsed to perfection. On several nights this allowed for three performances instead of two, which made it easier to select a good time to attend.

The Charade group was fabulous, and we made sure to let them know. They are a combo of accordion, string bass, violin and piano; I don't recall one false note, a very "tight" group. We attended as many of their sessions as we could. it's too bad they didn't have a more suitable venue than the Piazza. The same goes for the Pop Choir who performed in the Piazza rather than on Deck 7 aft as in the past. Space for them was limited and left no room for dance moves.

Just one man's assessment..

36rascal.

The captain is Capt Todd McBain from Vancouver, BC and is an excellent speaker.

We were on the Star May 5 and he had to deal with not only with an ongoing Code Red for Norovirus with a delayed departure and heightened cleaning measures but also a power failure in two engines. We were adrift with 2 hrs with no power other than auxiliary generator power so no elevators etc but we were safe and comfortable. The captain came on the intercom every 20 mins with calm, well spoken reassurances and updates.

I agree with you..what a refreshing change from most other captains to be able to understand what they say! Captain McBain , and the now retired Tony Yeoman, have been about the only two I have been able to understand.