What's the best way to spend my Carnival CC Funpoints?

Hey guys I have 21.751 fun points and I'm sure I'll have more by my Breeze cruise in Nov, 2014. What's the best way to spend them? I see I can get $200 OBC with them. But I read in here that somehow people convert the points into cash. Is that by using it to pay off a portion of your cruise that's already been paid for with your Carnival CC? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also no offense but please spare me the remarks about gong with a better CC than the Carnival card. I'm content with my card.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

But I read in here that somehow people convert the points into cash. Is that by using it to pay off a portion of your cruise that's already been paid for with your Carnival CC?

That is correct. You can use it as a statement credit against a Carnival purchase.

if you apply it against your cruise charge on the credit card I think you get $150.00 for every 10,000 points. That's 50% more than taking it as OBC. You can only take the credit one time for each eligible charge so search it all out before you actually complete the redemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if you apply it against your cruise charge on the credit card I think you get $150.00 for every 10,000 points. That's 50% more than taking it as OBC. You can only take the credit one time for each eligible charge so search it all out before you actually complete the redemption.

Oh wow that's great! I think that's what I'll do then! Thanks for the help!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Are you saying to wait till final payment?

You can use your points aat any time. On your credit card it has charges you can use it against. They do not have to be Carnival. I used them for Hampton. Each item u can use it against has a point total needed and a date you must use it by on that item. It all comes back as a credit on your credit card. 20000 points would be 200 dollars

You can use your points aat any time. On your credit card it has charges you can use it against. They do not have to be Carnival. I used them for Hampton. Each item u can use it against has a point total needed and a date you must use it by on that item. It all comes back as a credit on your credit card. 20000 points would be 200 dollars

Thanks, just want to be sure that if I use points now for the down payment charge I can use other points for final payment when that hits.

Now that you have read the other post I am going to tell you how to max your points! You do use your points for a statement credit but the trick is to use them to pay against a single charge of $1500 or more. As an example if you use 20,000 points against a charge of $1499.00 you would get a statement credit of $200 but if you use those same points against a charge of $1500+ you will get a statement credit of $300. A 50% gain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that you have read the other post I am going to tell you how to max your points! You do use your points for a statement credit but the trick is to use them to pay against a single charge of $1500 or more. As an example if you use 20,000 points against a charge of $1499.00 you would get a statement credit of $200 but if you use those same points against a charge of $1500+ you will get a statement credit of $300. A 50% gain!

Wow, thanks for the info. I will wait as deposit was $800 and final is an additional $2300 due 11/19. Currently only have 37000 points after using some on last years cruise.

Edited by WindsorFred

Ditto on this. This is the way I always do it.;) It's how I have already taken 2 free cruises on my FunPoints and am very close to taking a third. It takes a bit longer to build up the points for this than it does for a few hundred dollars of OBC, but the payoff rate is much better.:D

Ditto on this. This is the way I always do it.;) It's how I have already taken 2 free cruises on my FunPoints and am very close to taking a third. It takes a bit longer to build up the points for this than it does for a few hundred dollars of OBC, but the payoff rate is much better.:D

Thanks to you also. Have never used points for OBC just statement credits but was unaware of the $1500=50% more aspect.

Why is the credit more if the balance is more? This is great info!!

Maybe to encourage you to charge/use their card more for larger purchases? I pay my cards off every month so don't carry a balance forward as some others do. For those that don't they would have a larger carry over balance and higher interest charges?

Maybe to encourage you to charge/use their card more for larger purchases? I pay my cards off every month so don't carry a balance forward as some others do. For those that don't they would have a larger carry over balance and higher interest charges?

I, too, guess it's something like this. Or maybe it's to encourage card members to horde their FunPoints longer, to build up enough to "pay for" the larger qualifying purchases, thus maybe letting points expire (which happens after 5 years), and so not "costing" Barclay's as much in redemptions? But that's kinda far-fetched.:o

Why is the credit more if the balance is more? This is great info!!

Be careful, it's not just a straight

'larger qualifying purchase amount = better FunPoint redemption rate'

equation. It's trickier than that. There are different tiers of redemption rates and "sweet spots" along the way, so that you might get a better rate for a lesser purchase amount. The best rates start at $1500, but it's not a steady progression. Play with the "How many FunPoints Do I Need to Pay For My Cruise?" calculator on your credit card website and see how the redemption rate changes (not always going up).;)

Once upon a time there was a guy who figured out the algorithm and the rules of the calculator and posted the best purchase amounts with their corresponding FunPoint redemption rates. I don't think I have the link to his page anymore, and I don't even know if his info is still accurate. But it was very eye-opening.:)

After months of reading about this and multiple threads; I finally get it :)

Now I'm ready to cash in on that statement credit after final payment

for our upcoming Feb 2015 cruise in November.

Receiving 1.5 cents per point instead of 1 cent per point.

Thank you Shaky Beef! Thank you !