Where to stay in ft. Lauderdale?

maui65

Have stayed at Holiday Inn Express on 17th St. SE. Hotel room was comfortable. Breakfast was included and decent though did not include prepared omelets. Very close to Port Canaveral and we did use their 3rd party shuttle. Now for a larger family we group we are trying to decide between Renaissance and Embassy Suites in the same general area.

I hope it was closer to Port Everglades than Port Canaveral, otherwise you'd be boarding the wrong ship! :D

When we've stayed in Ft Lauderdale before a cruise (with time to enjoy the beach) we like the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort (it has beautiful grounds and a terrific restaurant.)

If we are just coming in for the evening before a cruise departure, we like the Renaissance Ft. Lauderdale Cruise Port hotel - it's close to the cruise ship pier and the airport, and handy to walking for a variety of pre-cruise shopping and dining. If you buy a certain category of room or have Platinum status with Marriott you get complimentary breakfast. Here's photos of our room: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/03/a-peek-inside-the-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-cruise-port-hotel/

Just two weeks ago I stayed with my niece pre-cruise at the Hilton Marina (which others have mentioned in this thread). It's also in a convenient location to the airport and pier, and has a great swimming pool. Here's photos of our room: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/05/24/traveling-with-a-12-year-old-the-hilton-fort-lauderdale-marina-hotel/

We've been looking at the beach hotels so that we can get in a day early and spend it on the beach. But it seems like a lot of the places are either really pricey or get bad reviews. We're thinking about the Pelican Grand Beach resort. Anyone ever stay there?

Pelican Grand is very nice but it's not a very close walk to anywhere from there.

I just booked the Courtyard on Ft. Lauderdale Beach for a cruise I'm taking with my daughter in March. She'll be 20 when we sail, and I thought that would be a fun area for us. Plus, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale during the 70's, so she'll get to see the beach I hung out at in my teens. :)

Great! Walk over to Bahia Cabana for dinner from Courtyard...it's still there and hasn't changed a bit!

Our friends booked us into Cambria Suites in Dania Beach -has free airport shuttle with a reasonable shuttle fee to the port. From what I can gather it's not close to anything although our friends say it's a nice place to stay...our first time out of FLL...keeping our fingers crossed..

In future will use one of those recommended by everyone here!

• 2 weeks later...
When we have stayed in Ft. Lauderdale prior to a cruise a bid of $50 to $60 a night has gotten us the Springhill Suites, Hyatt Place or Hyatt House, which are all in the same complex in Dania Beach. Each offers complimentary wi-fi, parking and breakfast and shuttle service between the airport and those hotels is free with shuttle service to the pier available for a slight fee. Any of these three hotels should easily satisfy your requirements. There are a number of fast food and full service restaurants in the immediate vicinity.:)

Some on trip advisor said this wasn't a safe area and their cars were broken into. :confused: :confused: