NY Times Carnival Article

wmjrdn4ever

He seemed personable when he first took that position, then kinda disappeared. Too bad the article doesn't delve into what his business plans are. And still waiting for the day he gives a pink slip to GC.

Edited by TPFKAH

He seemed personable when he first took that position, then kinda disappeared. Too bad the article doesn't delve into what his business plans are. And still waiting for the day he gives a pink slip to GC.

A pink slip for what? Shepherding Carnival Cruise Lines through a terrible year in 2013?

A pink slip for what? Shepherding Carnival Cruise Lines through a terrible year in 2013?

Actually, I'm surprised Uncle Gerry didn't get canned the day after his less than stellar performance at those congressional hearings about cruise safety.

He sounded SO much like a commercial, unexpected 1980's Kathy Lee Gifford to come out and dance on the table.

But it was treading seeing him chastised over it by a Senator.

that would be BRILLIANT

$20 more a day in on board spending is chump change. He can get $40 but he needs to spend $10 enriching the experience. Here are my suggestions:

1) Improve MDR service by adding back staff and improving food.

2) Get rid of American Table/Feast. Emphasize the fine dining experience while encouraging casual passenger attire and attitudes.

3) Bring back Sommeliers who can discus wine knowledgably and explain the benefits of proper wine pairings.

4) Leverage the main theater. It's 25% of the public space volume but is used for 10% of on board activities and generates little if any revenue

A) Improve the main theater entertainment. Give longer, more elaborate shows. Passengers will attend and stay longer and order more drinks.

B) Support this by Offeing a bar menu in the main theater with reasonably priced appetizer and snack items

C) Offer a dinner show in the main theater at an upcharge

And that's just off the top of my head.

$20 more a day in on board spending is chump change. He can get $40 but he needs to spend $10 enriching the experience. Here are my suggestions:

1) improve mdr service by adding back staff and improving food.

2) get rid of american table/feast. Emphasize the fine dining experience while encouraging casual passenger attire and attitudes.

3) bring back sommeliers who can discus wine knowledgably and explain the benefits of proper wine pairings.

4) leverage the main theater. It's 25% of the public space volume but is used for 10% of on board activities and generates little if any revenue

a) improve the main theater entertainment. Give longer, more elaborate shows. Passengers will attend and stay longer and order more drinks.

B) support this by offeing a bar menu in the main theater with reasonably priced appetizer and snack items

c) offer a dinner show in the main theater at an upcharge

and that's just off the top of my head.

like!:d

Donald says "Carnival also needs to capitalize on its massive size. That means negotiating — for the first time — deals with one set of vendors for food, cleaning supplies and towels. A simple concept, but until Donald took over the 10 brand heads had never even met together."

OMG Can this be true? A huge corp with multiple brands that doesn't use its strength and size to maximize savings ? What the hell have they been doing ?:eek:What the hell was Mickey A doing ? Clearly spending way too much time with the Miami Heat his favorite vanity project.

Frankly Mr Donald needs to beat a little discipline into the various parts of this huge company as well as making safety and health issues paramount.

Good luck !

The younger Arison made no bones about his belief that running the 10 Carnival 'brands' as separate entities that competed at the bottom line was the best way to run the corporation as a whole.

Anyone who wasn't brought up as a spoiled, privileged brat would see that as complete nonsense from a business standpoint and strive to integrate the cost structure. However, because the brands are themselves already extremely large I wouldn't expect more than 5% additional savings from purchasing integration and that may be overly generous.

Donald is correct in stating that it's time to drive the top line, not the bottom. Hopefully he will accomplish that by adding value, not by simply raising rates (and risking losing the market share they've managed to hold on to).

The younger Arison made no bones about his belief that running the 10 Carnival 'brands' as separate entities that competed at the bottom line was the best way to run the corporation as a whole.

Anyone who wasn't brought up as a spoiled, privileged brat would see that as complete nonsense from a business standpoint and strive to integrate the cost structure. However, because the brands are themselves already extremely large I wouldn't expect more than 5% additional savings from purchasing integration and that may be overly generous.

Donald is correct in stating that it's time to drive the top line, not the bottom. Hopefully he will accomplish that by adding value, not by simply raising rates (and risking losing the market share they've managed to hold on to).

The potential synergies are all there. Now all they need is an expert that can capitalize on them adding to both the top and the bottom lines, while retiring the value Carnival once mastered and gave away.

Where can I find all of the Brands of cruise lines they own. I know of HAL and COSTA but none others. I saw Cunard mentioned as well. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also I am stunned as well that he hasn't leveraged the size of his business to lower costs. You can still have a great product and get your goods for the bottom price.

Where can I find all of the Brands of cruise lines they own. I know of HAL and COSTA but none others. I saw Cunard mentioned as well. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also I am stunned as well that he hasn't leveraged the size of his business to lower costs. You can still have a great product and get your goods for the bottom price.

Here's the carnival Corp. website. It lists all of the brands.

This is an interesting article, William and Kim. Thanks for sharing it.

With Donald looking at using single suppliers across all of Carnival's brands, I wonder if Carnival will end up with Cunard's supplies or if Cunard will end up with Carnival's supplies. I know where I'd bet my dollar. Lol.

This is an interesting article, William and Kim. Thanks for sharing it.

With Donald looking at using single suppliers across all of Carnival's brands, I wonder if Carnival will end up with Cunard's supplies or if Cunard will end up with Carnival's supplies. I know where I'd bet my dollar. Lol.

A reasonable point. I would point out that each supplier has multiple levels of product at multiple price points

whether it be coffee or toiletries. Shared suppliers does not necessarily mean the same product for each brand .

Celebrity for example has at least 3 levels of toiletries within each ship .

Service providers can easily be combined for better synergies. Finally CCL needs to have their brands work together .

An example would be better use of the private islands between brands.

Yes brand differentiation is smart and good marketing but corporate resources should be maximized while accepting differentiation among the different names.

Great article. Arnold seems like a very intelligent and level headed man with a plan for Carnival Corp. Synching all of his companies operations will have multiple benefits down the line and as was previously stated I'm surprised Carnival wasn't doing this before.

Actually, I'm surprised Uncle Gerry didn't get canned the day after his less than stellar performance at those congressional hearings about cruise safety.

He sounded SO much like a commercial, unexpected 1980's Kathy Lee Gifford to come out and dance on the table.

But it was treading seeing him chastised over it by a Senator.

Whip cares, Rockefeller is a buffoon with an axe to grind.

1) Improve MDR service by adding back staff and improving food.

2) Get rid of American Table/Feast. Emphasize the fine dining experience while encouraging casual passenger attire and attitudes.

3) Bring back Sommeliers who can discus wine knowledgably and explain the benefits of proper wine pairings.

4) Leverage the main theater. It's 25% of the public space volume but is used for 10% of on board activities and generates little if any revenue

A) Improve the main theater entertainment. Give longer, more elaborate shows. Passengers will attend and stay longer and order more drinks.

B) Support this by Offeing a bar menu in the main theater with reasonably priced appetizer and snack items

C) Offer a dinner show in the main theater at an upcharge

And that's just off the top of my head.

You have some interesting points - but have you ever been to a bingo game? Quite a bit of money generated there in the main lounge.

Good point, although Bingo is a daytime activity for the most part, and wouldn't interfere with evening shows. There are plenty of other venues for Bingo as well. On Ecstasy they did it on Lido, from the stage next to the 'resort-style pool'. On larger ships there's the aft lounge as well, when it's not being used for Punchliner or Karaoke. There's also the *severely* underutilized lounge on Deck 4 of Conquest and Destiny class ships (between the upper levels of the dining rooms), which seats 200 or more.