Taking coolers on board....

modine

To those of you that have taken coolers on board...Did you duct tape the cooler closed?:)

We use luggage straps that are adjustable for length. They sell them at Staples and luggage stores for about 4-6 dollars. We put two on the cooler in case one breaks or comes off.

Since we had spent the week prior in South Beach (and had a big group of people) we had two large coolers. Both were soft sided coolers so we just zipped them shut. Showed up in the room full of beer and cokes just like we checked them.

We check our softside cooler at the curb with the porters now. Just zipped shut. Prior to 9/11 we would wheel it with us [filled with caffree diet coke and bottled water] iced down and ready to go. Then they would open it and look inside and that was it. Now we check it because it can't be iced down until its on board. All carry ons must be XRayed and most coolers won't fit thru upright and you can't turn them on their side with ice water inside unless you want to wet down the XRay and really screw up check in. [They will make you take it outside to a grassy area, wherever that is, and dump all the water and ice out] So since we can't use it until its in the room and iced, why drag it with us?

For those that wish to smuggle beer [or other libations] checking with the porters seems the simplest way to me.

Dan

I have found after 2 trips brown package tape, like the kind sold at U-Haul, works best. It sticks to itself and cardboard or paper. The folding cooler was nylon and the tape only stuck to itself and was easy to remove with out leaving a residue like duct tape does. We taped it tight and wrote the name and cabin number on the tape. It was the first luggage dropped off at the cabin.:cool:

We haven't been on a Carnival ship in a while. Does the Ecstasy have refrigerators in cabins with windows? I wonder if most of the Carnival ships don't have refrigerators, since several are taking their own coolers. That is a great idea.

All the help we get here is just unbelievable.

I have found after 2 trips brown package tape, like the kind sold at U-Haul, works best. It sticks to itself and cardboard or paper. The folding cooler was nylon and the tape only stuck to itself and was easy to remove with out leaving a residue like duct tape does. We taped it tight and wrote the name and cabin number on the tape. It was the first luggage dropped off at the cabin.

Thanks for the packing tape hint! My cooler is also nylon (and brand new) and I want to keep it looking as such! Thanks again! :D

I wonder if it would be ok if I were to hand my cooler over to the porter somewhat filled along with a case of water?? :confused:

Happy sailing,

T.

Archived