Why ships shouldnt sail anywhere near hurricanes

Seapup

Just out from AP

WASHINGTON - Last year's Hurricane Ivan generated an ocean wave that towered higher than 90 feet at one point, says a study that also suggests such giants may be more common than once thought.

Research indicates these are not "rogue waves but actually fairly common during hurricanes," said David Wang of the Naval Research Laboratory at Stennis Space Center, Miss.

The giant wave was detected 75 miles south of Gulfport, Miss., by instruments on the ocean floor that measure the pressure of water above them. Using those readings, scientists can calculate the height of waves from trough to crest.

Last Sept. 15, as Hurricane Ivan passed through the area, the instruments measured 146 large waves, including 24 higher than 50 feet and one at 91 feet, Wang and his colleagues report in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

I really agree- anyone who has sailed through a hurricane (and I have!) will certainly tell people that it is NOT a pleasant experience. I think that passengers on ships with captains that are willing to make concessions and changes about ports are LUCKY. I am a very good sailor and the only thing that has EVER made me ill was going through a hurricane. So- I don't understand- do you want a ruined vacation because you were puking all the time or an unexpected suprise of ports? You're on an adventure!

We not only sailed during Ivan...We sailed "in" Ivan...At our closest point,we were 150 miles from the center.We experienced 30 ft waves for about 5 hours,and 15-20 for 24 hours...It was an experience...

We missed GC & KW,and got Costa Maya and Belize.

Archived