Wheelchair question

My mom, sister and I are doing the 7 day out of Galveston on the magic in Sept. One port of call is Belize. I noticed that we will be tendered into Belize and it states that scooters aren't allowed on the tender. My mom isn't able to walk long distances and depends on a scooter for mobility of any distance. My question is......any ideas for renting a wheelchair prior to boarding, for this one day?

Any input would be appreciated. She is really looking forward to the port.

Thanks

The scooter is a no go for a tender - but if you bring a collapsible wheelchair with you on the tender that would work in port (as long as she can walk on board the tender and such). THat would save the trouble of trying to rent something in port.

The scooter is a no go for a tender - but if you bring a collapsible wheelchair with you on the tender that would work in port (as long as she can walk on board the tender and such). THat would save the trouble of trying to rent something in port.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew she couldn't take the scooter on the tender but was wondering if anyone has experience with this and should I rent a wheelchair at home? Is there some place that brings them to port prior to leaving Galveston, etc?

I know Carnival has some onboard but afraid of taking a chance of them all being taken for that day in Belize.

My mom, sister and I are doing the 7 day out of Galveston on the magic in Sept. One port of call is Belize. I noticed that we will be tendered into Belize and it states that scooters aren't allowed on the tender. My mom isn't able to walk long distances and depends on a scooter for mobility of any distance. My question is......any ideas for renting a wheelchair prior to boarding, for this one day?

Any input would be appreciated. She is really looking forward to the port.

Thanks

They dont rent wheelchairs for 1 day , its by the week.

As has already been stated, you won't be able to rent a wheelchair for just one port day - there are a couple of online places that rent by the week. Here is one: http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

In Belize, there will be 10-12 steps that your mom will have to walk down to get on the tender - or up when you come back to the ship. At the port, she'll just have to make one (I think it was) step up from the tender to the dock.

You may also want to look into buying a transport wheelchair instead of renting one. It probably wouldn't cost any more than renting one for a week, and you'd have it in case you ever need one again. Check with CVS, Walgreens or maybe Walmart.

Thanks.

I knew I'd have to rent it for the week but was trying to get some ideas about what would be best. I'll check the price of renting one in Galveston....that hopefully they will deliver to the pier as we'll be getting into Galveston on Sat, after normal business hours, vs renting/buying at home before we leave.

You may also want to look into buying a transport wheelchair instead of renting one. It probably wouldn't cost any more than renting one for a week, and you'd have it in case you ever need one again. Check with CVS, Walgreens or maybe Walmart.

Are the transport wheelchairs easy to push? My mom is pretty heavy. I've seen pics. They have the four small wheels. Do they fold easier than the others?

Are the transport wheelchairs easy to push? My mom is pretty heavy. I've seen pics. They have the four small wheels. Do they fold easier than the others?

If your mom is kinda heavy, a transport chair may not be the best idea - I think they are smaller so that may not be comfortable for your mom.

That link I gave you (http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/), I've never rented from them, but from my understanding, you tell them what day you are boarding, and the chair is delivered to your cabin that day, and then they pick it back up when the cruise is over. So, you don't have to worry about taking it onboard with you (or taking it off after the cruise). At least that's my understanding of how it works - I'm sure someone else can chime in and verify that.

Are you booking an excursion in Belize because if you aren't, that is a lot of expense, trouble, and probably hard going for your mom just to go look at some crappy hot shops. Not to mention a rough 25 min ride on the tender both ways.

My mom does not really have mobility problems and it was rough on her.

Are you booking an excursion in Belize because if you aren't, that is a lot of expense, trouble, and probably hard going for your mom just to go look at some crappy hot shops. Not to mention a rough 25 min ride on the tender both ways.

My mom does not really have mobility problems and it was rough on her.

No, we haven't booked an excursion but this port was the main reason for this cruise for her. I didn't know about the tender until we were booked and they sent me the papers needed for scooter info. It was there I saw that Belize is a tender port and scooters aren't allowed. We can make it work, I just want to be prepared so she can enjoy this day.

Thanks!

I would agree with the suggestion to book an excursion. Belize's port is basically just stores and a couple restaurants with Belize City right outside. Plus, prices there were easily higher than Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman.

The best thing in Belize is seeing the countryside and planning something in advance is your best bet, especially with a wheelchair.

It's always so hot at the port area. Make sure you bring lots of water and something to keep cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, we haven't booked an excursion but this port was the main reason for this cruise for her. I didn't know about the tender until we were booked and they sent me the papers needed for scooter info. It was there I saw that Belize is a tender port and scooters aren't allowed. We can make it work, I just want to be prepared so she can enjoy this day.

Thanks!

Well, I wish you luck.

I do have to wonder why your mother wants to go there so bad. There will be nothing to see except those slum type shops.

If you go all the way around the side of the building you can see a little bit of Belize, but mostly just a road. I don't know if the hookers still hang out at the fence because I didn't go over there this time. I am not even sure you would be able to get a wheel chair over there.

It used to be quite pretty there, with individual building with a small garden between each one. Now all that open space has been closed in to add more shops. Closets more like.

It is not going to be an easy trip with a person with mobility issues.

I am not trying to change your mind, just wanting to point out it is going to be a hard, probably hot day.

Frankly, I love Belize out in the counry side, but if I don't have an excurion booked, I am just going to stay on the ship. from now on

The big question is - can your mom take stairs? There will be a stairway down to board the tender, and a stairway up to go back on the ship.

We saw people who can slowly walk the stairs, and family members bringing folded wheelchairs (sorry, don't know what exactly they are called).

If your mom can climb on the horse-driven carriage, it may be an interesting drive for her. Don't take ship tour, buy one for 1/2 price when in port, much cheaper, and still safe.

There are people walking around, going to museum and to a church there, and of course shopping and braids. On our ship one guy braided his beard, it was funny, and he so loved the attention he was getting :D

The tender ride is long, if your mom gets sea sick, she should take medications for that.

We rented one last year from Special needs at Sea. It was in our room when we arrived and at the end, we just left it in the room. Worked out great. We did rent it ahead of time and I think we paid when we reserved it. I think there is another company that is similar but not sure of the name. I think it was something like Care Vacations or something like that.

As has already been stated, you won't be able to rent a wheelchair for just one port day - there are a couple of online places that rent by the week. Here is one: http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

In Belize, there will be 10-12 steps that your mom will have to walk down to get on the tender - or up when you come back to the ship. At the port, she'll just have to make one (I think it was) step up from the tender to the dock.

I tried to rent one onboard from Carnival once and they wanted to charge me $85 to use it for the day in Nassau. Thats when I decided I'd buy my own for my next cruise.

I got my transport wheelchair at overstock.com. It was the same one they are selling at local stores. Brand new (candy apple red or royal blue) at 1/3 the price of local prices.

Secondly. I wouldn't even get off the ship in Belize again. Been there twice. Unless you are into going out to private island to snorkel/swim (which she couldn't do anyway) there isn't anything to do. And the shops are so much better in your other stops. Just tell her she isn't missing anything.

As a full time wheelchair user I'll chime in with my two cents worth. Do not waste your money on a transport chair as they are worthless on anything other than smooth floors. Trying to push a large person across uneven surfaces is pretty much impossible in a transport chair. A chair with the big wheels can take you almost anyplace. It can also be pulled up backwards over obstacles when needed. I would recommend going ahead and getting a folding chair before and taking it with you. I'm willing to bet that if she is having trouble now that it will be of some use to her in the future anyway and the time will come that she will be glad to have it. A great place to pick up an inexpensive wheelchair is on your local Craigs List. It will cost less than renting one for the week and will most likely be of better quality too. Hope you have a nice trip.