Mopeds on St. Thomas?

hibiscusjane

My husband and I have 2 children, 17 and 20 yrs old. We are looking for a place to rent mopeds on St Thomas. Any ideas of good places? Do they provide maps of places to see, beaches to visit?

Also, what age can they drive them? Both have drivers licenses.

Pray for no hurricanes!! :(

Carnival Glory

Aug 20 2005!!!

I wouldn't recommend scooters in St Thomas, especially for adolescents. I've seen folks riding around on them and they usually look frustrated. The roads have pot holes, the scooters don't have the best power for taking on hills. Its not the ideal experience that everyone pictures. In town the traffic is very congested and the temptation to zip between lanes of traffic is too great. There have been some horrible accidents where drivers just didn't see these scooters.

Kids this age would probably enjoy going to one of the beaches and renting a ski-doo where they can get some speed up and jump waves.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

could u tell me where u can rent jet-ski's in st.thomas.. i heard something about gettin one but the ppl have to ride them with u.. and that's kinda retarted.. i wanted to be able to take my lady out and drive around

jorge

Hello,

The resorts that rent jet skis are 18 and over for driving them; for example Sapphire Beach Resort.

Coral World is neat. But at mid-late teens it really depends on the teen. If they are really active then they might like something like parasailing more. Or maybe dive lessons. If they like hiking being outdoors - then maybe hiking on St. John in the National Park. What types of activities do they enjoy?

Not what you likely wanted to hear but the drinking age here is 18 so your kids might think thats cool. ;)

--Islander

http://www.*****

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to St. Thomas at least a dozen times I would never rent a moped. Try a jeep instead. The traffic in town is can be hair raising to say the least. Parking is hard to find and the hills and winding roads are rough. Also the most important thing to remember is THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT which can be very tricky the first couple times you do it. You must constantly be thinking left left left. Having said that......I must say that I have driven all over the world and The people of St. Thomas are some of the most friendly drivers I have ever had the pleasure to have encountered. We always get a jeep when we are there. IF you are coming in by cruise ship, you can rent them right at the dock. I beleive the last time we rented from ABC rental which was across the street form the dock. I will also be there for the day in November and can't wait to get my jeep and tour the island and its beautiful beaches.

My husband and I have 2 children, 17 and 20 yrs old. We are looking for a place to rent mopeds on St Thomas. Any ideas of good places? Do they provide maps of places to see, beaches to visit?

Also, what age can they drive them? Both have drivers licenses.

Pray for no hurricanes!! :(

Carnival Glory

Aug 20 2005!!!

I have to agree with OTC1 here. I don't recommend mopeds. In fact, I myself wouldn't rent a car or jeep in St. Thomas either. The combination of driving on the left and the steep, narrow and winding roads through the hills can be really tricky.

Archived