Theme nights

With all the talk on another thread on these posts, I have just received my eticket for my cruise on the 13th July on the Black Watch and it has a British night included. It's only a 7 night cruise so no room for any more.

Lets hope Fred is keeping the British night alive.

Rule Britannia!

Comments from other cruisers on upcoming cruises regarding if there are anymore theme nights or just the British night or if there weren't any would be appreciated.

With all the talk on another thread on these posts, I have just received my eticket for my cruise on the 13th July on the Black Watch and it has a British night included. It's only a 7 night cruise so no room for any more.

Lets hope Fred is keeping the British night alive.

Rule Britannia!

Comments from other cruisers on upcoming cruises regarding if there are anymore theme nights or just the British night or if there weren't any would be appreciated.

I hope Fred does retain the theme nights, otherwise what will I do with the many fancy dress outfits I've gathered over the years? :(

My partner and I are cruising Boudicca in three weeks to Greenland and there is a themed night. Its a British Theme. This is the first time we have cruised were a themed night is included. Do the majority of people dress up? We aren't all that into dressing up but if the majority of people do then we wouldn't want to let the side down, so to say!!

My partner and I are cruising Boudicca in three weeks to Greenland and there is a themed night. Its a British Theme. This is the first time we have cruised were a themed night is included. Do the majority of people dress up? We aren't all that into dressing up but if the majority of people do then we wouldn't want to let the side down, so to say!!

Hi

If you don't want to join in that's ok.

We were on the Christmas cruise on Boudicca and I reckon only 10% joined in. You could just wear combinations of red white and blue in your evening wear but some people like us wore union jacket gear. We just went in a union jack polo shirt and trousers.

So don't worry there are plenty of other people that will not be joining in .

Enjoy your cruise.

We are on that cruise and are highly unlikely to bother.

Having said that, 'British' is probably the best one to partake in if you are feeling patriotic that night, as it seems to be a case of just wearing something red white or blue and not necessarily all three - but others will fill you in better.

Not sure what non Brits think of that sort of thing, some could possibly take offence. Means you will probably get roast beef and yorkshire pud for a dinner option.

I think I can see why Fred is stopping that sort of thing. New cruisers often have to buy or hire formal wear, (if they do not use it for functions at home), so the thought of having to get other outfits could be positively offputting for them.

Just my opinion, I know others will disagree.

We are on the same cruise as you Northern Boy, but haven't had our ticket yet. Which night is theme night? Also how smart does your theme wear need to be?

Excuse me jumping in and replying to a question posted for Northern Boy.

Theme nights are not meant to be smart, wear whatever you wish to match the theme. In the past on Fred's ships the themes were Rock 'n Roll, International, Nautical, Tropical and British nights and all were great fun. Just recently they seem to have dispensed with theme nights, which I feel is a shame, but they have retained 'British Night'. Participation is purely optional. Just wear something red white and blue if you are English. I've seen football shirts, Union Jack tee shirts, or simply a white top, red scarf and navy trousers. It takes hardly any effort and the staff appreciate it.

On the last cruise on Balmoral I wore a sequinned Union Jack dress, long white boots and a ginger wig. It gave everyone a good laugh. I've always dressed up to match the theme and other passengers probably think I'm slightly mad, but there again, I am!

The Welsh wear items adorned with the Welsh dragon, the Irish wear green and white with the shamrock and the Scots wear their kilts, or daft tartan caps with attached wigs. It's all a bit of fun and not meant to be a fashion parade.

Enjoy your cruise.

In response to many of your posts we can confirm British night has been re-instated by popular request on all cruises with the exception of those sailings departing ex Scotland and ex Eire/ N.Ireland.

We hope this will help with the confusion in this matter.

Kind regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines