Interesting article about the Bayonne port area

greatam

It won't be a container port as once planned (too costly but REALLY needed because Newark and Elizabeth are overburdened and container ships are getting larger and larger) but it also may not be developed as per the original multi use development either. Only time will tell but for any developer to buy into this heavily over priced piece of property will be a giant leap of faith.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/nyregion/port-authority-land-purchase-is-boon-to-bayonne-and-chris-christie.html?emc=edit_ur_20140609&nl=nyregion&nlid=58162832&_r=0

Edited by greatam

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

They have built apartments. Along those lines, I wonder if a hotel would be viable. As an out of state cruiser, I'd appreciate closer accommodations.

The hotel prices would rival those in NYC just due to the costs associated with ACQUIRING and BUILDING (MOST union labor and cost overruns) and all the permits, taxes, crap that goes into doing business in NJ. You would be paying NON DISCOUNTED prices the same as full rack rate prices at the Hyatt in Jersey City if not more. You would do better at the absolutely lovely Hyatt in Jersey City than a new hotel, IMHO.

We used to have our main warehouse in Hoboken (pre 1997). Beat down, dilapidated is the best I can describe it. The developers came calling to build million dollar apartments on our land. We sold.

Our main warehouse/office on the East Coast is now in the Bronx, close to the Hunts Point Food Center. CHEAPER than anything we could find in NJ.

NJ, unless you are politically connected, is NOT a place to do business as it stands right now. As expensive as NYC is, it is still cheaper than NJ. And believe me, I love what Gov. Christie stands for. Too bad so many imbeciles ruined the state before he got into office. Thank goodness their fuel tax has not gone up because I buy at least 4000 gallons of diesel fuel per week in NJ.