Florence on your own....question...

:confused: Our family will be traveling to Florence for the day and we are doing the Florence on your own excursion. WE want to get tickets to see "David" at the Accademia. The tickets are timed and we don't know what time to get.

Anyone out there do this tour and know what time approx. it arrives in florence.

I can take it from there as I know the city and where the tours drop off.

Thanks.:)

2005 - A & K Sun Boat December 24th

2005 - Splendor of the Seas August 27th

We took this tour while on Brilliance, and we arrived in Santa Croce Square at 10:30 a.m. It was about a 90-minute bus ride from Livorno and then a 10-minute walk through Florence from where the bus let us off to the Square. We had to meet the group back in the Square at 3:30.

harrodsfan - you're going to love Florence! I would recommend you do a taxi instead of the ship's excursion (you get more time in the city). What we really loved about the taxi we used is that we got to see places we would not have had time to if we were just walking. Our first stop was Piazza Michaelangelo which oversees Florence and the Arno River (a great way to start exploring Florence). Riccardo (the driver) then took us to various sites and gave us a meeting point, got us into the Accademia without reservations and even took us to Pisa on the way back to the ship. We were going to take the train but since they were on strike we had to rely on a cab. Since there were 6 of us traveling, the cost was less per person than the ship's tour. Before going on our trip, I was petrified of us missing the ship, but we made it back with plenty of time. We're already booked for a cruise next year and plan on using private tours or taxis again. I'll try and find the taxi guy's e-mail (I asked him for a card). Whatever you decide, you will have a fabulous time!

Thanks for your prompt replies..exactually what I needed.

We wanted to do the cab/driver but can't get a lot of response from others on the cruise...and with 4 the drivers I contacted were more expensive than the ships excursion.... We will still get a cab when the bus drops us off to get to the Academia as it is a long hike especially if it is hot! Also might do a public bus.

I am excited to get back to florence..have been there many times and missed it last year on the Millie because it was Monday and everything was closed..went to Lucca instead and really liked that too.

Would love to get a driver in rome...did you do that. would love your suggestions.

Please email me at scripe1@hotmail.com.

Also do you remember what night the quest was???Dont' want to miss that!

Debbierpof - I would also be interested in an e-mail and/or web site of the driver you had. I was planning on going into Florence with the ship. No tour,l just the transportation, but it's $75. per person. I thought that was a lot. Maybe we can get a taxi for the $150. - what do you think? Or, maybe find someone to split the cost with us if it's more than the $150.

montlee - I think that using the cab that day was the best decision we ever made (even though we felt fairly comfortable about taking the train). The guy's name was Riccardo and his website is below. He's not a talker (not a guide) but we really got to see alot because of him (and he knew the area very well and answered any questions we had). For example, had we taken the train, we would have had to get a cab to take us to the Piazza Michaelangelo. The view of Florence from there made it worth it. He would also make suggestions on timing and locations. If I were you I'd start a thread looking for someone to share the cab. If that doesn't work, I would talk to people on the ship. The other couple that joined us had also planned on using the train that day and were standing outside the ship wondering what they should do when we joined. E-mail Riccardo and see what he suggests. http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/pages/eng/

Hi debbierprof

I would also like to know how much you paid for the taxi the whole day. We'll be a family of 4 and were originally planning to take the Florence and Pisa on Your Own Tour offered by the ship. I'm hoping the taxi will be just the same price or cheaper. I took a look at the website you posted and the rates were listed by kilometer. Is this how you were charged?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Last year a group of 8 friends used Driving Guides to gofrom Livorno to Florence. For the eight of us, the cost was cheaper than the ship transfer when we used Driving Guides (based in Florence.) Our ship was three hours late arriving in Livorno due to high winds, and the ship canceled all their tour busses to Florence. But there was Gianni, our driver, waiting for us - we were among the very few to get to Florence. Six of our group used Driving Guide as a transfer - they had all been to Florence many times - we kept the driver to get us to the attractions we wanted to see - Academia, Uffizi, etc. We paid extra for that. Our friends and we were very satisfied - Gianni was a nice young man, fluent in English. He arranged a central meeting place for all of us (a hotel, and I can't remember the name) for the return to Livorno and our ship. I arranged this with Paolo, of dguide@ats.it.com, also fluent in English as I learned in Florence. I had made a mistake on the hours, and Gianni and Paolo were most accommodating after I talked to Paolo. The van we used was clean, the driver was excellent in the heavy traffic, and the best part is that the van can go right into the center of the historic district - the busses must park at a distance, and the passengers must walk! Also, as a courtesy, Paolo arranged our tickets and time at the museums - we just walked right by the long lines! We were more than pleased. Driving Guides can be reached at dguide@ats.it

and mention his Connecticut happy customers referred you - I'm sure you will find him charming, informative and reliable.

I'm trying to remember the exact amount we were charged. I think it was 360 Euros. I know that it was definitely cheaper to use than do the Florence On Your Own shore excursion. And again, I think whether it's the service we used or another, you get to do more because you arrive earlier and the driver takes you to places you'd rather not have to walk to (since you'll be doing enough walking as is). The best example of this is being able to go to the Piazza Michaelangelo. You'd need a cab from historic Florence to get there -- it's a sight you shouldn't miss! I'll look at my travel notes when I get home (I'm sure I wrote it down) and get back to you.

Thanks a lot Debbieprof!

360 Euro sounds pretty good. Far cheaper than any of the private drivers I have gotten quotes from for Florence and Pisa. I think it would just cost a little more than doing the "Florence and Pisa On Your Own" ship tour for the 4 of us. The extra money should be well spent if we don't have to walk all over and look around for buses and cabs to go from place to place.

Thank you all for the great information....several of us will be on the Carnival Liberty beginning October 12. The more I read, the more I am leaning towards a private driver/guide. I think I'll look to see if anyone else is interested in sharing costs.

Archived