NOLA cruising about to get less crowded

SO Royal has announced that they will stop cruising from NOLA in 2015.:mad:

I LOVE NOLA, and cruising from there is on my To Do List. I wanted to do it this year, but I am using miles from Virgin and they don't fly to NOLA, so I'm sailing on Breeze instead.

I'm wondering if Royal's decision will affect Carnival's presence in NOLA? I hope Carnival doesn't also leave, but I also hope that they won't choose to raise the prices sky high now that they will be the only game in town.

Thoughts???

RCL has left before, and come back.

The Port Of New Orleans is in negotiations with other lines for the old RCL slots.

Carnival is here to stay. They have a long-term lease agreement with the port. RCL's lease was for two years. Sources say they are moving some of the US based cruises to Asia, where demand is increasing.

Maybe now that Royal has added a second ship in Tampa, they've decided that they don't need another ship out of a gulf coast port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would not be surprised to see Carnival add a third ship to New Orleans in the future. It seems to have been one of their most lucrative markets in recent years based on things the CEO of the Port of New Orleans and the PR folks at Carnival have said.

Royal's loss. Carnival moved a big ship there, so that means something. I wonder if they could put another Conquest class ship (say the Freedom) in NOLa and put another seven day cruise on Saturdays. They could leave a fantasy class and do the 4 and 5 day runs.....

Carnival Cruise Lines thrives in New Orleans. Maybe we should start to utilize the Port of Mobile again

That would make super happy! I love in outside of Huntsville, AL which has one of the most expensive airports in the nation. We have to fly out of Nashville to save money.

That would make super happy! I love in outside of Huntsville, AL which has one of the most expensive airports in the nation. We have to fly out of Nashville to save money.

The Nashville -> New Orleans air fares rock. $96 roundtrip my last two cruises from there.

I miss being able to cruise out of Mobile. Very nice port.

They better hurry up. With the massive bottleneck at the tunnels, ALDOT is making noise about building a new I-10 bridge across the river, south of the terminal, that will put the final nail in that coffin.

The Nashville -> New Orleans air fares rock. $96 roundtrip my last two cruises from there.

Nashville is our go to for everything flying these days. Even if there's a layover in Atlanta we still have directs usually once leaving there and it's normally a nominal fee that's less than a round trip dive to Atlanta. Plus that airport has some of the most excellent customer service I've dealt with in any field.