Best things to do in Ketchikan with 3-year-old

pokerpro5

Will be on NCL Sun Aug 4-11.

I have found things to do in Skagway and Juneau, but not Ketchikan.

We are a couple traveling with a 3-year-old. He is very flexible in that he can find fun in pretty much anything, so I'm not looking for "kiddie" options. We have taken him on other "scenery" type trips before and he has enjoyed them. At the same time, he is limited in what he can do regarding physical activity, which means no ziplining, no really long boat rides, etc. We also don't feel comfortable in small planes.

The port stop in Ketchikan is only 7am-4pm, so that has to be considered, as well. I am willing to rent a car if necessary.

One thing I found was the salmon ladder off Creek St. Will there likely be salmon swimming upstream on August 6? That would be really interseting to see, though obviously that wouldn't take long to watch, and we would still have time for other things.

I considered a Misty Fjords boat trip, but I saw that people complained there was too much time getting there and back, and you don't see that much. The Rainforest Sanctuary was VERY poorly reviewed, so that's not an option.

Is it worth renting a car to see the rainforest on my own, or are there no real trails worth taking or scenery worth seeing?

We will be doing a lot of scenery sightseeing in Juneau and Skagway (I have a car in both places), so something a bit different in Ketchikan would be fun.

We'd also prefer to stay out of the touristy areas. We don't enjoy shopping or anything gimmicky that's aimed at tourists.

Thanks.

Most kids enjoy being around water so a walk along Creek St would be fun. Salmon should be in the creek at that time. Pick up a map for a self guided walking tour of the town which includes Creek St. You can do it in an hour.

With the water theme, take the town bus for $2 out to Totem Bight. The totems are interesting, even for a 3 yr old... encourage him to find the animals/fish in each pole. He migh tnot get the story behind each one, but he'll find the characters. Plus it's in a waterfront setting, so look for bald eagles and watch for brightly colored starfish in the water.

The Forest Service has the SE Discover Center in town which is interesting for all ages ... exhibits, etc

Send for the free visitor guide

http://visit-ketchikan.com/Things-To-Do.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves

My sons are 4.5 and 9 months, we're planning to do Totem Bight park and the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan, we booked through the cruiseline though so I'm not much help in booking. As a former archaeologist I'm pretty excited to see the totem poles and I know my older son will love them (he's seen models at the science museum), but the lumberjacks seem guaranteed to be a big hit with boys of all ages. :)

The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour gets really good reviews and might be fun for a young one as they get to see all sorts of sea creatures and crab fishing demonstrations. You might want to check that out as well and see if there are age limits.

As mapleleaves mentioned Creek Street is a fun place especially when the Salmon are running. The Cape Fox Lodge also has a funicular that takes you up the hill ($2 adults, kids free) -- it has windows and the kids seemed to enjoy it. At the top there are scenic views and a few totems in the courtyard. There were a few families who were snacking at the top. I'll attach a few pictures.

626.jpg.8371fcce0026fd133a2cbf4c3007d8c1.jpg

629.jpg.99b3be1b007f11bff2a9464788470659.jpg