Relief bands?

sykora2

Just wondering if anyone has tried Explorer Relief Bands for sea sickness? They are similar in styling to a wristwatch and send variable electronic pulses. We're going to Alaska at the end of the month and I'd like to pick one up if they actually work.

Thanks!
Cindy

Haven't tried Explorer bands but regular acupuncture bands seem to work for me. I might add that without them I am guaranteed to get sea sick on the first day, whether it's the Atlantic, Pacific or Indian ocean. After the first day I am usually fine.

I bought Relief Bands for our Century cruise on June 5th. I will be glad to report back when we return. I have heard very good AND very bad reviews. I'm prone to seasickness and was willing to try anything.

Hello Cindy,
Just like you, I was wondering if they do work, especially reading on this board many comments how great they are.
I bought two of them ($60 each) and was ready to try them out.
We were on a cruise from Ensenada to Hawaii on a pretty good size ship (RCI's LOS). The very first night we woke up feeling the effects of the rough sea. Wife and I quickly put on the supplied 'gel' and the Explorers, turn them on to the highest setting that was still somewhat comfortable (#3 for wife and #4 for me) and we were waiting for some 'miracle' to take the sea sickness away......nothing happened, we got worse......we made sure that the signal was going to the nerve endings ( we could feel the pulses in all of the fingers). After about 25 minutes we took the Meclazine. I was able to keep mine but wife got worse and the medicine did not stay in her system long enough to do her much good. She ended up getting an injection in the medical facility. During all this time the ReliefBands were still on our wrists........doing nothing and not conforming its advertising.
So like anything else, they seem to work for some and not for others.
We also got the 'acupuncture bands' knowing also as 'sea bands'......we did not use them last time but we used them before on some other cruise.....and they did not work either.
So, you just might have to find out on your own' skin' what works for you.
Enjoy your cruise.

Wes

As someone who suffers from both airsickness and sometimes seasickness, I'm not willing to trust the sea bands, whether they use electrical impulses or accupressure points. There is nothing worse than being air or sea sick and not being able to do anything about it.

Since I don't like the way that oral medication makes me feel, I choose to use the patch. Not only does it work great for me (with no side effects) but I can dive with it on to help with the potential problems of sea sickness.

Hilary

I have always been prone to motion sickness. Yet, like an idiot, I persist in doing thinks like sailing on small sailboats (26 footer in Chesapeake, 50 footer in Caribbean). They definitely make me seasick. I have tried everything. Only the Scop patch and the Relief bands really work for me.

The patch is fairly expensive unless covered by your Rx plan. It has a 72-hr life, so once you feel you should wear it, you're stuck with it for a while, and some people experience side effects (dry mouth) and withdrawal effects after removing it.

I bought my Relief Band from aeromedix.com, which sells products for pilots. There is a bunch of information on their site(testimonials, writeups from Drs., etc.). Their current price is $74.95 and they offer to match competition. Check drugstore.com and other online druggists.

But the main reason for buying from Aeromedix is they will give you a 30-day money-back guarantee. So at least, if it doesn't work for you, you won't be out 75 bucks. On cruises I have taken Relief Band and also some patches, just in case. I have not needed either.

You'll need a prescription for patches. Make sure you buy a set of spare batteries for the Relief Band (Radio Shack has 'em). It's easy to leave it turned on after wearing by mistake.

Good luck!

sailorboy

Yes they definitely work. I used them in April for the first time and we were going thru the Bay of Biscay. We had done the same cruise the year before and I'd spent 2 days in bed. This time however I had my ReliefBand Explorer on at the first sign of feeling unwell and as the sea got rougher I turned up the dial until it was at 5. It takes a wee while to get used to how the shock tingles to the tip of your fingers and my husband reckons its all in the mind but this trip I was able to enjoy my dinner, go to the show and then when I took the band off to go to sleep, I slept like a log. The next day I heard loads of stories from people who had been seasick - and I wasn't one of them. However, feeling somewhat cocky the next morning I set off for an enrichment lecture in the Observatory lounge and had to leave after 10 mins. Whether it was because I could see the movement of the ship or what but I went back to my cabin and spent the rest of the day there (with my band on). I wasn't seasick I just didn't feel 100%. I did order room service though and shared a bottle of champagne with my DH so I couldn't have been that bad! I wouldn't cruise without it now and always have it handy in my bag as I starts to work within minutes of you feeling queasy.

My wife has used both the relief band and the patch as she is very prone to motion sickness. Without a doubt, the Rx patch is the best. I lasts for 3 days and during our last cruise (NCL Transatlantic in March) which had some very rough moments, she was absolutely fine (if you don't believe me check out my bar bill). The relief band seems to be hit and miss but in our experience is not nearly as effective as the patch.

My DH and I used the patch last Aug. - it worked for him, but it blurred my vision - I had to take it off after about 10 hours, I never did get sea sick and my vision came back within 48 hours!

This trip (Alaska on May 29) we purchased the wrist bands, hopefully they will work as well as most people say that they have. And a bonus is that blurred vission is not a side effect.

I am not sure about the bands, the I have been to Alaska several times and the ship does not rock

Big Red Boat
Royal Majesty
Royal Majesty
Sensation
Sensation
Big Red Boat
Majesty
Ecstasy
Ecstasy
Century
Celebration
Horizon
Destiny
Mercury
Century
Voyager
Zenith
Mercury
Horizon
Galaxy
Summit
Horizon
Galaxy
Century
Mariner

I love my relief band. Won't cruise without it. Tried the patch and I to had blurred vision. I could'nt even read the menu after a couple days.

Mercury 09/24/2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;09;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

What has worked for me for the past 10 years is a simple program that I start two days prior to the cruise. If you follow these directions you will not get sea sick at all!
2 days prior start taking Bonine. One pill a day and continue until you get home. Day of your flight, sudafed when you awake and take a nazel spray one hour before your flight. It really works! I was on the Rainance last March with winds up to 70 miles an hour for 3 days! EVERYONE was sick! Sick bags everywhere for people. I did great... did not get sick at all! Good luck and give it a try!

Joyce from Maine.. btw.. I am so sensitive that I cannot even swing. Makes me dizzy!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hi Cindy [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until I am back on the Infinity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hookedoncruises:
I could'nt even read the menu after a couple days.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is reason enough to be wary of that approach to seasickness!

We have not tried the electric bands yet. Our approach is to go with the bands if the sailing gets bad and to go to Bonine and ginger ale if the bands don't seem to work.

Joyce, be careful of the nasal sprays. I find that they can be very drying and affect my sense of taste. Good idea regarding sudafed. I always take a decongestant before flying since air pressure buildup in the ears is a major problem for me. I can see how the air pressure changes can affect the semicircular canals (tied to balance and hense seasickness)

Well I ordered one for my husband, hoping he won't have to use it. I took lesleyfb's advice and ordered from Aeromedix.com due to the guarantee there.

jschultz, funny post! Windermere, can't wait to have those Chocolate Martini's together!!

Luvanother4ever, you mentioned the 29th & Alaska, are you sailing on the Infinity on the 30th with Windermere and us?

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and experiences!! You all are so very helpful on this board.

Cindy

The side effects from the patch are because if you touch the patch and then your eyes it dilates your pupils. I learned that the hard way. But if you do touch the patch, wash your hands carefully and you shouldn't have any trouble. At least I was fine after the first time I touched it and then my eyes. HAPPY CRUISING

See you soon Cindy! Infinity here we come! Martini time! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until I am back on the Infinity

Archived