travel insurance ?

I have found out that our medical coverage will cover us while on board including evacuation to a land hospital. I have read somewhere that sometimes your credit card also provides some coverage. Does anyone have experience with or know what your card might cover. I am just trying to decide on purchasing the insurance. We booked this cruise quite suddenly so we only have a week or so before we leave and I am just trying to decide what to do. Thanks for any suggestions.

Some credit cards will cover luggage delay if you purchased your airfare with them. Look at club memberships like AAA or AARP to see if they provide any type of travel benefits. I don't belong to either but if I did, I'd look into it.

I'm not sure that I know of a credit card that provides coverage for things like trip interuption but, I bet there are a few that there are some out there that do.

With your credit cards, it's really just best to call them and ask them to send you information about the benefits, coverages, terms and conditions for coverage for each card. Every bank will offer different cards with different perks attached.

I have found out that our medical coverage will cover us while on board including evacuation to a land hospital. I have read somewhere that sometimes your credit card also provides some coverage. Does anyone have experience with or know what your card might cover. I am just trying to decide on purchasing the insurance. We booked this cruise quite suddenly so we only have a week or so before we leave and I am just trying to decide what to do. Thanks for any suggestions.

What insurance do you have? From all that I have read, it is my understanding that most medical policies do not cover you outside of the US. You would just want to make sure, and if it were me I would get that in writing just in case.

Credit cards sometimes do cover but it depends on the card itself, and there again I would like to see it in writing.

Hope you have a great cruise and do not need to even worry about your insurance.

A scenario that did happen (04/28 -05/02/2004) and a scenario that, almost, happened.

Cruising from Galveston on RCI Splendour of the Seas: We were on the only ship cruising in and out of the small terminal in Gaveston embarkaton day, and debarkation day. We drive to the port, and can see through the terminal door where luggage is being loaded onto the ship. We drop our luggage off to embark. All goes well with the luggage until it is placed outside our cabin door the night before we return. We debark -- one of the pieces of luggage is gone ... file appropriate reports ... it never appears with RCI. Downside, the (used once) Samsonite XL3000 rolling garment bag held about $2,200. worth of clothes, shoes, etc. NOT INSURED. (I had purchased the cruise tickets with my American Express card, and reading the fine print found that they only insured for DELAY of luggage).

Booked on Celebrity Galaxy (11/01 -11/12/2004) - For various reasons, we had to cancel our trip. 17 days from date I would have been "at sea", I was taken by ambulance (emergency), arriving at the hospital 10 blocks from my house in serious condition. All is well with me now ... but I will not forget that my condition (which could have become life threatening) would have probably resulted in my being air lifted to a hospital.

Don't do as I did -- and presume that what was to be a straight forward trip could not have a bad "happening" -- and that a medical condition will not "smite you down" when you least expect it.

Archived