Obstructed Guaranteed Balcony

howellite

Hi, we have been on a NCL cruise 2 years ago and my wife has been on Carnival cruises over 10 years ago. I perused here before our NCL cruise and gained a lot of useful information. I usually didn't respond to posts since I am just a newbie in the cruise world compared to some of you!

We booked a guaranteed balcony room on the 11/20 Miracle cruise directly with Carnival. I noticed on Expedia that there are obstructed view balcony rooms on the Miracle. The CSR told us we would not get an obstructed view room. Is this true? This doesn't make sense to me since the obstructed balcony room level (6?) is the same as the unobstructed balcony room level. We would rather pay less and have an unobstructed window then an obstructed balcony room. Any information would be appreciated.

If you booked an 8A balcony guarantee, you will NOT get an obstructive view. You will at least be an 8A or higher. I believe the ubstructive balcony cabins are 6A. In guarantees, you always get at least the lowest level in that category and sometimes higher.

Hi, we have been on a NCL cruise 2 years ago and my wife has been on Carnival cruises over 10 years ago. I perused here before our NCL cruise and gained a lot of useful information. I usually didn't respond to posts since I am just a newbie in the cruise world compared to some of you!

We booked a guaranteed balcony room on the 11/20 Miracle cruise directly with Carnival. I noticed on Expedia that there are obstructed view balcony rooms on the Miracle. The CSR told us we would not get an obstructed view room. Is this true? This doesn't make sense to me since the obstructed balcony room level (6?) is the same as the unobstructed balcony room level. We would rather pay less and have an unobstructed window then an obstructed balcony room. Any information would be appreciated.

If you booked a balcony guarantee (BL guarantee) or a 8A Guarantee, then you will NOT get an obstructed balcony. An obstructed balcony is considered a step down from a BL guarantee or a 8A guarantee as it is a 7A room. If you go through Carnival's website like you are booking a cabin on your actual cruise, you will see how they break down the categories.

Suite Categories are:

ST Guarantee

Balcony Staterooms:

9A

8I

8H

8G

8F

8E

8D

8C

8B

8A

BL Guarantee

Ocean View Staterooms:

7A (Obstructed view balcony)

6's

Interior Room:

5A (french door)

4's

IS

See, so if you are guaranteed a balcony, it will be a 8A or above room

I'm on the Empress deck 7th floor all the way at the front of the ship. I hope I don't have a obstructed view that would suck. I do have a guaranteed balcony

This is what I see for the Valor.......

Staterooms (6B) with partially obstructed views:

Main Deck: 2446, 2449

Upper Deck: 6201, 6202, 6203, 6204, 6205, 6206

Empress Deck: 7201, 7202, 7203, 7204, 7205, 7206

Lido Deck: 9201, 9202, 9203

Panorama Deck: 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004

Suites with standard-size balconies:

Lido Deck: 9205, 9206

As for the 7th level... what I meant was category 7A rooms, not level 7. It does not look like the valor has category 7A rooms to begin with :)

Since Carnival changed their pricing structure this year-- if you did indeed book a balcony guarantee= you could get an obstructed 7A. if you booked an 8A guarantee you will not. Check to see what you booked.

Same applies to oceanview guarantee-- you could get a 5A so book a cat 6A guarantee

The Spirit class ship has the 7A's Valor does not have 7As

I had the same question, we booked a balcony guarantee, as we have before, and when we booked this year for our Feb. 2006 cruise, I had my TA check with Carnival again, and they told her you get within category 8, not a step down to 7.

Please have your agent check that again. you need to book a cat 8A guarantee or you could get a 7A on the Legend. THis is something new that carnival has implemented--and if you check the new brochures it will tell you that a balcony guarantee you could get obstructed balconies.

I just called Carnival directly to double check on my TA's information, and I was told the same thing. I would not go down to the obstructed balconies. She said look at the cabin list, the BL guarantee is above the 7A-Obstructed balcony. That category is below what I reserved. I asked my TA what the obstruction was too, she said it is not that bad, you can see out, but not down when you are on the balcony. The lifeboats are hanging down in your view to look at the water from your balcony, but you can see straight out.

Please have your agent check that again. you need to book a cat 8A guarantee or you could get a 7A on the Legend. THis is something new that carnival has implemented--and if you check the new brochures it will tell you that a balcony guarantee you could get obstructed balconies.

Can you site a source on this? Everything I have read and have been told by both my TA and Carnival definitally says a 7A would be a step down from a balcony guarantee. I have been told (and see it on the booking screen as well) that a 7A is classified as an oceanview (even though it is an obstructed balcony) and a 5A is classified as interior (even though it is the french door situation).

If you booked a balcony guarantee (BL guarantee) or a 8A Guarantee, then you will NOT get an obstructed balcony. An obstructed balcony is considered a step down from a BL guarantee or a 8A guarantee as it is a 7A room. If you go through Carnival's website like you are booking a cabin on your actual cruise, you will see how they break down the categories.

Suite Categories are:

ST Guarantee

Balcony Staterooms:

9A

8I

8H

8G

8F

8E

8D

8C

8B

8A

BL Guarantee

Ocean View Staterooms:

7A (Obstructed view balcony)

6's

Interior Room:

5A (french door)

4's

IS

See, so if you are guaranteed a balcony, it will be a 8A or above room

What is the difference between BL and 8A?

What is the difference between BL and 8A?

A BL would guarantee that you would get at least an 8A cabin or higher, but you won't know for sure until close to the time of your sail date (and sometimes not until you get to the port).

If you booked a specific cabin then it could be an 8A or one of the higher categories, depending on cabin location and type (deck#, suite, etc.).

John

Can you site a source on this? .

When did you book your cruise on the Miracle? Like I stated-- Carnival jsut changed this recently.. It was not in effect in February when we cruised on the Miracle.

If you go to the carnival web site- click on fun ship- click on the miracle-- deck plans then main deck... on the top right hand corner it will state that the balcony cabins on the main deck are Obstructed balconies.

Where is the 7A classified as oceanviews?

There is a difference between a BL guarantee and a 8A guarantee.

You can call carnival differnt times-- you will be speaking with different people each time-- and get all new answers each time you call.

When booking a BL guarantee in the past a 7A was a downgraded- it is not the case no more. Same with booking an oceanview-- you can get a 5A which in the past was a downgrade.

(since you are sailing in a few day- I wouldnt worry about getting a 7A. You probably booked your cabin before this took affect.

If when you are on that Carnival website, go on to book a cruise, when you get to the stateroom selection screen, the 7A is with the oceanview category, below the balcony category with the balcony guarantee.

When did you book your cruise on the Miracle? Like I stated-- Carnival jsut changed this recently.. It was not in effect in February when we cruised on the Miracle.

Has anyone after February, booked an 8 guarantee and got the obstructed balcony category? I have not seen a post of this happening and someone being upset over it. Or is everyone still continuing to get an 8A or better?

It was not too long ago that a person booked an oceanview guarantee and got 2 portholes as windows--which are a cat 5A on some ships. That is the way the agency did business. it was the "quick" place.

I think the postings were under cabin selection tips.

If when you are on that Carnival website, go on to book a cruise, when you get to the stateroom selection screen, the 7A is with the oceanview category, below the balcony category with the balcony guarantee.

kewl-- thats very interesting. Now I wonder if carnival went back to the old way-- which by rights it should be. I guess if they got enough complaints.

Its very rare that people got downgraded cabins. I think you are good getting a 8a or higher

I have booked a balcony guarantee Catagory "BL" for an upcoming Legend cruise and thought it would be at least a catagory 8A. After reading this thread I checked the Carnival web site. The 5A is listed as an inside and the 7A is listed as an outside. However if you actually select a "BL" (balcony guarantee) the screen includes 7A as a possible cabin. Threfore I must conceed that I may get an obstructed view balcony. Luckily, I only paid $599 for the balcony guarantee for an 8 day cruise. The 8A was at least $200 more. I will enjoy any cabin they give me. Dean

Since I have been selecting balcony cabins for our cruises, I believe that in the description it has always included the Obstructed view balconies, 7A, in the category description. But until I start seeing posts that they are actually getting these with the BL guarantee, I am taking it that it is a step down. I have confirmed this with my TA, and Carnival by my TA and me. I have an upcoming Legend cruise also. I booked in May for Feb. 2006.

Archived