Tortola vs. St. Marten

RosieR

I know when I come home from my cruise in Sept. (on Princess) I will be looking to make a booking. Would like to try another HAL cruise. I've noticed that St. Marten has been replaced by Tortola. Can someone tell me why?

Fantasy 08/92

Grand Princess 09/01

Destiny 05/02

Grand Princess 09/02

Carnival Legend 09/03

HAL Zuiderdam 11/03

Caribbean Princess 09/04

I do not know why, but it was nice being the only ship in port.

If you like outdoor activity (hiking, dolphin swim, snorkel) then Tortola to me is more natural. If you like shopping and more in-town type sight seeing and people watching then St Maarten is better. I love both. (They also have nice excursions from Tortola to Virgin Gorda.)

What ship? Which itinerary?

HAL services both ports. Depends on the cruise, the ship, itinerary and the date of sailing.

We've been to both ports and we like both. I know some on this board have professed a dislike for Tortola, but personally, I don't see why. We enjoyed it thoroughly. We also liked St. Maarten and can't wait to go back again.

Perhaps if you can give a bit more detail, someone may be able to explain the change to you.

Noordam 1984

Veendam 1999

Amsterdam 2000

Noordam 2001

Statendam 2001

Noordam 2002

Zuiderdam 2003

Maasdam 2004.

Noordam 2004

icon_wink.gif Tortola

We have been to Tortola and St Maarten many times.

Tortola - once you have done the Virgin Gorda and the Baths; the beaches; snorkling, then there really isn't much left to do here. There are very few shops and restaurants. The last time we were there, another ship was also in port. Tortola is small and everyone was crowded in town.

St Maarten - as many times as we have been there, we still love to go back there as there is so much to see and do. Many more shops, restaurants, beaches, etc.

We noticed a couple of years ago that HAL was making more stops in Tortola and less stops in St Thomas on some itineraries. So my husband talked to Seattle. This was the answer he was given: "Older and handicapped people were complaning about the crowds in St Thomas and not being able to get around in their wheelchairs." My husband laughed and asked the man if he had ever been to Tortola - the man said that he hadn't ever been there. My husband told him that there are very few sidewalks in Roadtown and the streets are very narrow and bumpy. Husband thinks that the real reason why HAL goes more often to Tortola than St Thomas is because the port fees are cheaper there.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Gilligan and those that know Tortola,

I am interested in the snorkieling trips out of Tortola. Which do you recommend?

Also, DW does not do these strenuous activities so should she just stay on the ship (she likes that) or should she walk about? Is it safe?

Thanks, as always.

PS If you can recommend which snorkeling trip in St. Thomas, I would be grateful. Zuiy is doing both ports.

Rob

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Zuiderdam and our 26th Anniversary

SeaEscape 12/82

SS Norway 12/86

Emerald Seas 12/89

Sovereign of the Seas 3/91?

Majesty of the Seas 10/96

(The trip to Hell & Back!)

Majesty of the Seas 3/97

(Make-up for Above!)

SS Norway 9/01 "Farewell

Voyage"

Explorer 8/30/03-Cabin 1688