camera decision

snc_cam

After doing LOTS of research for U/W cameras in the $200 price range, I have the following dilemma. Of the three cameras in the finals:

1. Olympus TG-830 ihs - issue is a f3.9-f5.9 aperture.

2. Pentax WG-3 - most expensive of the three; f2.0 low aperture

3. GoPro Hero 3 white - no zoom, f2.8 aperture, VERY wide angle lens

Other issue: The GoPro has an external waterproof housing that is VERY solid. The Olympus and Pentax are waterproof cameras. There has been some comments about leakage around the seals. So, am leaning towards the GoPro because of the housing; but the Pentax because of the other capabilities as a camera. For the GoPro, it will be used as a "camera", not for video.

As an aside, I have been using a Canon A560 with a DicaPac. Good solution but the camera is not in tight and the lens every now and then moves, getting the lens cap in the way. Plus, where I put my fingers to hold and shoot, I have hit the function/menu buttons.. :(

Please provide your comments... all are appreciated... If you selected one of these cameras, please identify why. If you've had problems with one of these, please provide that too.

Steve

Go with the Go Pro. I had an Olympus waterproof which turned out not to be. Both the Olympus and the Pentax have seals built into the camera body "protecting" the hatches for battery and card. These O-rings are thin, small and prone to pinching, which is what killed my Oly.

The Go Pro comes in a waterproof case with a single LARGE O-ring that seals that entire back of the case. While I found lots of reviews (after the fact, unfortunately) about Olympus seals failures, this doesn't seem to be ANY kind of issue with the Hero.

The Olympus and Pentax may have more bells and whistles than the Hero, but what good are features when the camera goes "glug glug"?

That is my concern with a U/W camera vs the GoPro. I have seen the comments about the Olympus leaking but not on the Pentax. I have the same thoughts about the seals on the cameras vs the GoPro.

remember, gopro needs the underwater housing, and doesn't have a LCD or viewfinder

I have a Pentax w80 and works great under 60' of water.

the Nikon COOLPIX AW120 16MP 5X Optical Zoom Waterproof Digital is very good too

I'm a firm believer that "leaking seals" are most often operator error. A hair, sand, misaligned gasket that's in the way of a correctly closed door/hatch/compartment can all result in leaks. The Oly is close to your desired price and it gets very good ratings. Just operate doors/hatches/compartments correctly and you'll be home free. Go Pro excels in other areas, still jpegs not being one of them. I've had a Canon D10 that I've had (and used) for going on 6 years now. Lots of salt water trips and keeps on a ticking. :D

Yes, am aware of the shortcomings of the GoPro as a camera. The only reason it is here is because it does take good pictures and has a waterproof case.

I can understand about the "user error" in regards to resealing the camera after handling the battery and/or SD card. I am leaning more toward the Pentax right now for $20 more. Has better specs than the Olympus. Thanks for the information.

Steve