More Liberty tidbits.

RatherBCrusin

I wont bore you with the rest of my review, as there are quite a few olready on the site. I will give you the perspective on an independant traveller who hasbeen on Carnival quite a lot and plans my own shore tours.

1. I mentioned that we used Drive Amalfi in Naples.

2. Venice-- Day one We checked on Cruise Calendar and saw that there were 6 other ships in port on the first day of the Liberty, so we decided to take the vaporetto to Murano (and possibly Burano). We bought a 24 hr pass for 10.50E and I bought a route map for .6E. We all piled on the VERY full boat that took us to Murano. We were directed lft and along the outskirts of the area to a glass blowing demonstration at the end of the shops. After the demonstration we went into the commercial Gift shop, but were able to get one of the salesmen to show us the better items. They were in a group of about 4 rooms over 2 floors and were astoundingly beautiful. After careful consideration, we decided they were way out of our league. The rest of the island is additional small shops and tourist areas, small bars, etc. We took the V back to Arsenale stop near the ship. We missed Burano due to time constraints, but were told by one cruiser that Burano was by far the better of the islands. The whole trip, including transportation, demonstration and shopping took about 3.5 hours.

We went back to the ship to freshen up and went out for the gondola ride I scheduled at 7:30 through Weeekendavenezia. It was outstanding and at 37E each, well priced. We then ate at a restaurant that we passed during our ride and shopped along the way back to St Marks square.

I will tell you that we were told that the Captian had a special welcome and could anchor by the square, away from the other cruise ships and a lot closer to the "action". This was a real ligistical plus and I haope it can continue.

Day 2 We went to the 9:55 Secret tour at the Doges Palace. Freinds of ours did not get on the tour as it is limited to about 18 people per tour. But they did get their tickets for the regular Doges Palace tour on day 1 of our stop in Venice and so they were able to bypass the huge lines and go right through the Palace. A note regarding the tour-- it is spectacular, extremely interesting and unusual-- but not for someone who cannot stand intense heat, walk up a lot of narrow stairs and stand for a while in close conditions. The guide was rather sharp to the children as they were beginnning to be bored and antsy. I think that teens would be the first age to appreciate this tour.

Also, they make you check any book bags and large ladies purses.

At the end of the tour we routed back throgh the regular buildings and saw the whole Palace. Including walking the Bridge of Sighs.

Then we went to out 12:05 across the square at St Marks. The lines were full of HUNDREDS f people, but we had preregistered on the St Marks site and were ushered through like royalty. No lines. You do need covering for shoulders and knees here.

On to the BEST part of the day. We went up to LaSpagna-- by the train station and past the Rialto bridge. WELL worth it!!! Here we found wonderful, fresh inexpensive food in cute little outdoor restaurants. Good shopping, art, gelato, too!UNCROWDED conditions! We ate at the little Beau Brummell outdoor rest. for 15E each including 2 dishes, drink and tip! Some of the best food around. If you go (and I hope that you do), plan for 1-1.5 hours to get back as the vaporettos take the long route from this area. Ciao for now!

How safe is it to stay out late in Venice? Are you safe walking around late at night? What about spending the night off the ship in Venice? Does Carnival care as long as your back on the boat the next day?

We booked both Secret Itinerary Doges Palace tour and gondola ride through http://www.weekendavenezia.com. It seemed very safe to walk around after dark as long as you were not going through any dark alleys. TONS of tourists around.

I heard that a few people stayed off the ship durnig the Venice stop. I never heard that Carnival cared. I don't know that I would spend the time to pack, check in and get used to a place for just one night. Our berth was right next to Saint Marks Square, so we were in the middle of everything.

Venice is safe but watch out for pickpockets.....I was pickpocketed on the bridge by the Doges Palace. I realized it immediatley and screamed loudly at the man to drop my wallet and he did. REally shook me up though. Not scared just very angry.

Hello there,

I will be cruising on August 13 and I have some questions regarding the money exchange.

Should I bring US traveller's cheques or Euro dollars?

Did you bring both?

Do you remember what the exchange rate was on the ship versus on shore?

Did you ever exchange money on land?

Did any places accept Euro's only?

Thank You,

Irene

Re: euros 1. We bought euros and Kunas at American Express office. Euro rare:1.20 We saw rate onboard for purchase was 1.28. We used atm in Italy and Barcelona and got 1.17 both days. Hope this helps I would not do the travellers checks or cards, Carnival pursers seemed to be puzzled by these.

Re: gondola ride. We had planned an 8:30pm ride, but got back from Murano and wanted the ride before dinner, so we took a 7:30 ride. Perfect. Could see all the details of the buildings, very peaceful, lots less traffic, then we strolled to a cafe for dinner. Made for a perfect evening.

I think ther Secret tour was 28.00 (check on http://www.weekendavenezia.com) but it included the 20.oo tour areas plus the secret areas.

"On to the BEST part of the day. We went up to LaSpagna-- by the train station and past the Rialto bridge. WELL worth it!!! Here we found wonderful, fresh inexpensive food in cute little outdoor restaurants. Good shopping, art, gelato, too!UNCROWDED conditions! We ate at the little Beau Brummell outdoor rest. for 15E each including 2 dishes, drink and tip! Some of the best food around. If you go (and I hope that you do), plan for 1-1.5 hours to get back as the vaporettos take the long route from this area. Ciao for now!"

RatherBCruisin: the LaSpagna area you spoke about above, is it near the Jewish Ghetto? I am trying to locate it on my map. We are looking for an area to hang out in, eat and shop that is not overcrowded with tourists.

Thanks, Leslie

Archived