Machu Picchu

northbird

It is DH's 50th this year and he has always wanted to visit Machu Picchu. I see Princess offers a Machu Picchu excursion while docked at Lima (Callao) Peru. I would love more information about this excursion and if it is worth the steep price.

It is DH's 50th this year and he has always wanted to visit Machu Picchu. I see Princess offers a Machu Picchu excursion while docked at Lima (Callao) Peru. I would love more information about this excursion and if it is worth the steep price.

We did a Celebrity cruise in 2011 that offered the Machu Picchu excursion. The price was more than the cost of the cruise.

On our private tour at Lima, I discussed going to Machu Picchu and discovered that we could purchase a week long tour, which included Lima, Cuzco and MP (as well as airfare from Atlanta) for less than what the ship's excursion was asking.

Another negative was that if you take the MP excursion, you miss one of the ports. Not sure that would be the case for Princess.

We just did an Oceania cruise from which we disembarked in Lima. From there, we went directly to the airport and got a flight to Cusco where we spent two nights touring Cusco and The Sacred Valley. Then we took the train to Aguas Calientes where we spent the night and the next day we went up to Machu Picchu. We took the train back to Cusco late that afternoon where we spent another night. In addition we then spent 3 nights at an Amazon Jungle lodge. For seven nights, we spent $4536 for the two of us together. This didn't include the price of the flights we took to Cusco, to the jungle and back to Lima from the jungle. It included all meals at the jungle camp and breakfasts in Cusco and breakfast and dinner in Aguas Calientes, all transportation (except for flights), private guides and drivers. We thought it was a really good value and the tour company did a great job. The guides were really good and the drivers were safe and careful. I don't know what the cost of the Princess tour is but I know the O tour was really expensive...as are all of their excursions. Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley are really amazing and worth the time, money and effort to get there!

You can do a search here and on the Princess board to get a lot of information that was posted over the past year. We were on the Golden Princess this past Christmas/New years South America cruise. We went on the weeklong Machu Picchu cruise tour and it was very well organized, included all meals, entrance tickets, transfers, airfares, 2 full time Tour Managers, and great local guides. They organized it so that 99% of the group could acclimate to the altitude changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...