How Far is the Lava Flow right now?

rdanderson

It has been three years since my last trip to Hawaii. We leave again in two weeks. We were wanting to take the trek to see the lava flow like last time. Does anyone know how close (or far away) the current flow is? Last time it was only about a mile from the road. Has anyone been lately?

Thanks

Becky

Actually, they are reporting there is no lava that can be safely viewed. There is also a shelf that is near collapse, causing large areas to be roped off.

We were on a cruise and tried to drive to the lava and hike out on our own. As such, we only had time for about 3 hours walk time on the lava flow. We did NOT see lava (July 24th)

I have attached the link with the daily NPS update. Good luck!

http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/lava.htm

If you've got a chance to be there at night, you can see the lava flowing down the hill and entering the ocean but from far away (what, 3/4 mile?). We got to see that from the lookouts in July. Some people hiked a little closer, but the view from the road was so good, many people didnt move. It was still awe inspiring for sure.

Of course, it all depends on Pele's moods....we didnt get close to lava or see any spewing form the Pu'u O'o vent but we had 2 good earthquakes!

Unfortunately, no flowing lava or tremors on our trip. But... we are home safe and sound from an 11-night cruise on Norwegian Wind, and planning our next 'trip of a lifetime'. Thanks again for the earthquake updates...

Glad you had a great time. I think VNP was awesome as a place to visit...whether or not Pele is in the mood to show herself. Sorry no tremors...I dont know which god is responsible for those! LOL!

Archived