Portland, Maine car rental

RobC1116

We are arriving on August 17 in Portland, ME (Enchantment of the Seas), and I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a convenient car rental agency in or near the port. Has anyone rented a car in Portland, or does anyone know if there are any car rental agencies near the port? I know that we can go to the airport to find rental cars, but I'm trying to find something closer. Thanks!

Robc, the closest is enterprise, but it is 1 mile + from the port on Forest Ave and I 295. I know that you don't want to rent from the airport, but Portland is not a large city and the airport is only about 15 minutes, 6 miles from the port.

FYI, the city is in the beginning phases of building a new port facility with construction to begin next year. There are also many development projects planned for that area to coincide with the new terminal.

I rented a car through Enterprise Rental Car. I don't have the phone number still, but you could call the locations in Portland and ask which ones offer pick up from the port. They weren't too far from the port, they pick you up, and return you. It was great. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

I did the Portland Int'l Jetport car rental in Fall 1998. As the above poster mentioned: It is a ways from the pier, but I found it overall to be satisfactory.

If the Enterprise deal works out, that would be a great way to go, if not, you can leave the jetport open as a 2nd choice. Portland can be prone to traffic jams, it's also relatively easy to get mis-oriented in the city, so plan your schedule accordingly.

Archived